The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Gallagher's article has the sky falling.

No team can know how their draft picks will turn out. Ours stand as good a chance as any. Kassian, Gaunce,Jensen, Connauton. We're doing all right.

Tony, MG has been busy winning President's trophies and challenging for the cup. Our prospect base reflects this.

The REASON Schultz didn't choose Vancouver is because MG wouldn't guarantee him ice time, as no self respecting franchise would, or should.

Schultz, like anyone in any industry anywhere, needs to pay his dues. He wants to play in the NHLright now.

Detroit and Vancouver develop their kids in Junior, like it should be done.

The future is bright for Vancouver...three years...most of our core will just have turned 30. The Sedins will be 34.

Ridiculous, Tony.

I'm a little confused here. I thought players weren't allowed to sign or even talk to teams about signing until July 1st. How can the Oilers sign Schultz before FA opens.

It was an unique situation. Once Schultz deregistered from school the Ducks had a 30 day window to try to sign him before he became a free agent. He didn't sign so he became a free agent last Monday. He was allowed to talk to interested teams at that point (including Vancouver), but not allowed to actually sign a contract until today. There was no tampering by Edmonton or anyone else that he spoke with after Monday.

I'm a little confused here. I thought players weren't allowed to sign or even talk to teams about signing until July 1st. How can the Oilers sign Schultz before FA opens.

Schultz' case is different from regular UFAs. In late may he de-registered with University of Wisconsin so that gave Anahiem a 30 day window to sign him. He wanted no part of that so when the 30 day period came to an end(late June) he was free to talk with whomever.

Edit...beat me to it. ^^^

The Oilers were the best fit from the beginning. This team will be scary in a couple of years once they fill the holes on their d.

We've been hearing this year after year, yet they still finish in the bottom 3. This team will improve, and compete for the playoffs but the hype that they are going to be a dynasty is just not going to happen. Thats just wishful thinking by their fans. Same as Schultz, I can't believe the hype over this guy....he is not going to turn this franchise around...he still needs a few years to develop, there is no guarantee he's even going to be the player everyone thinks he is. Edmonton will get better but won't be any better than a dozen teams in this league right now.

I can't blame him, with AV as the coach he would be benched for every mistake he makes. I would pick the oil as well they are developing there youth right now and will be a great team in a few years. AV is killing this team with his refusal to develop youth, he needs to understand that it's more important to develop youth then win the PT.

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think the Oilers won't be able to sign everyone. The Oilers have 20M in cap space and another 20M tied up in Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Khabibulin and Souray(buy out penalty). This also includes Hall, RNH, Yakupov and Schultz all making 3.8M already. What kind of raise do you think they're all going to get? People act like they're going to be making 8M each. It will probably be more like 5-6M which would only be about a 2M raise each.

Best post in thread.

Others probably have low IQ or don't watch much hockey.

"Guess Schultz doesn't want to win a cup". Canucks have yet to win a cup in 40 + years.

Edmonton doesn't have a strong core? They have the best young core of players in the league. A place where Schultz can grow with.

It's sickening how fast people wanted Luongo gone.

Why are we cursed with such terrible "fans" as a fanbase?

Schultz said in numerous interviews that he didn't want a guaranteed spot, he wanted to earn his place on the team. He also said that his parents aren't Canucks season ticked holders.

Looks like he didn't pick Vancouver because he thought the Oilers are a better team for him and a better team going into the future.

• 1 year later...

Archived