The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Ok now we HAVE TO sign Garrison... he sounds like a home town boy who actually CARES about returning home.

I'm sorry but Garrison isn't going to make that big of a difference. Dude is so overrated he reminds me of Justin Schultz but more expensive.

The fact is you need young players to produce in the early years of their careers when their not making the big bucks yet to win a cup. I honestly think AV had a huge influence on why he did not sign here. He's seen how poorly he handles young players and didn't want to sit in the doghouse if he made one bad pass.

3.8 mil is cheap?

The fact is, if we gave him top 4 minutes, he would be earning 3.8 million. Whether we deferred it to the following season or not, it's still alot of cap space for an unproven player. Edmonton has a ton of it so it makes sense for them.

I would rather have Garrison at 4.5 mil, than Schultz at 3.8.

Karma because he made the right choice for him?

WE'LL SEE if he made the right choice. We can't just all speculate that he's going to be the greatest player or turn into a dud. If his development is severely damaged, than it obviously wasn't the right choice, and he probably should've gone with Vancouver. If he succeeds, then good on him for making the the right decision.

Seriously...this whole Gretzky lobbying the Oilers thing was really cheap! I mean you have nothing else to offer that you have to ask Gretzky to lobby for you? As soon as I heard that I knew he'd probably pick Edmonton.

Think logically everyone. Who thought with AV as coach that Shultz would get anywhere near top pairing minutes as a Canuck.

Despite him being a BC boy this was not a viable choice for him. You know with Edmonton or Ottawa he's gonna get assurances to log big minutes as a top 4.

All this he's from BC and Canucks were his favorite team and his parents are season's tickets holders was just a smokescreen to give Canucks fans a glimmer of hope.

I hope he goes to Edmonton because he'll be given a great opportunity to grow with that young and up and coming team.

Can't believe how fast people turned on this kid just cause we're out. If anyone is the sell-out, its you guys who are degrading Justin. Kid is making a personal career decision for himself. Who are you to judge?

Agreed on both these points. I'm disappointed as well but Edmonton would be a better carrier choice for him than Vancouver. He would never get the minutes in Vancouver that he would in Edmonton and he'll play in all key situations as well. He has a greater opportunity to develop fast there, with a team stockpiled with high draft picks (much like Pittsburgh and Chicago were), and thus, a greater chance for a larger payday at the conclusion of his entry level contract. And quite honestly, it's probably less stress on his family if he doesn't play for the hometown Canucks. Can you imagine what it would be like if Raymond or Luongo were actually from Vancouver?

Everyone would have been happy if Schultz choose Vancouver. And much of CDC would be rubbing it in the noses of Edm and Tor fans as well. Suddenly, he doesn't choose Van and he becomes a clown? A diva? That line of thinking is illogical and hypocritical.

Oh... and may I remind everyone about how CDC blew up when the Canucks lost out in the Fabian Brunnstrom sweepstakes?

He's not going to get that much respect for players around the league if he is basing his choice on ice-time. With exceptions to some stars, this is a blue-collared league where time is earned, not entitled.

Well said, i'm quite glad Gillis didn't sign Schultz. Better off without him.

What I dont get is if he had wanted ice time why didn't he just stay in Anaheim? I mean their top D is Beauchemin and Lydman. You got defenders like Sbisa, Fowler and Vatenen to grow with and unlike the oilers they have proven talent up front in Ryan Perry and Getzlaf.

You don't need to live in a city with -30 weather to get ice time.

Archived