633 replies to this topic

#421 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

If losing guaranteed a cup, the blue jackets would have several by now.

The fact is, nothing guarantees a cup no matter how much talent you have. Alot still needs to go right.

They could struggle to find a number 1 goalie for years, or all their D-men could be busts. At this point they're still very far from getting a cup.

I never said it's a guarenteed cup, I'm sure saying we better win it now cause I think they will kick our *ss in the future.

zackass.png

#422 TheNitsguy

TheNitsguy

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Everyone! That's hockey, you know? It's only, it's only game! Why you heff to be mad? He's a good guy!

In all seriousness though, I wish Shultz the best. He obviously loves the Canucks, but I think he feels the needs to established himself first before he gets here. And yes, that is an "AV isn't good with offensive prospects" comment. He needs to be at least at an Errorhoff level before he steps in as a UFA ;-)

He'll be a Canuck one day, mark my words :canucks: ::D :canucks:
...unless you guys boo him out of the arena, of course. Seriously...

#423 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

kinda glad he didn't come here... else ppl will hate us more around the league.. :lol:

#424 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

GMMG made a huge booboo re-signing AV,

This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard that Schultz was going to the Oilers. I'm not going to blame AV for this at all...but maybe his reputation precedes him...even if it's not totally fair.

Remember...perception is reality.

Edited by MJDDawg, 30 June 2012 - 01:58 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#425 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

I never said it's a guarenteed cup, I'm sure saying we better win it now cause I think they will kick our *ss in the future.

Who's to say they will?

Just because you get 1st overall picks doesn't mean you'll be a good team. The players still have to gel, and teams need great role players to win.

You can get great players late in the first round too. Just look at Perry and Kesler.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#426 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,428 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Honestly, good for him, Im not mad at all. What I dont understand is, people kept saying he was a 'huge' Canucks fan growing up, then signs with the Canucks #2 or 3 rival and possibly help them win another Cup..

People will say the chose Edmonton because its better for his career.. I dont think its a wise choice, he will get exposed in Edmonton with their youth and inexperience when he could be playing and learning from seasoned NHL veterans on the Canucks and grow into a top 4 defenceman he thinks he is.

He wanted icetime handed to him, and that goes against the philosophy MG and AV has built this team around. He should have learned from Hodgson, now he's in Buffallo thinking what if.

I hope he thinks about this whenever he sees the Canucks on the PP destroying the Oilers.

#427 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,981 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

Plenty of cry babies around here because they didn't get their way.

No wonder there was riots last year.
Posted Image

#428 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

What's interesting is that Schultz was one of the Penner poaching picks.

Pronger fiasco comes full circle?

TOML
Posted Image

#429 Tiburon

Tiburon

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Have fun defending against the Sedins :bigblush:
Posted Image

#430 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

@adater: From a player who shall go unnamed: "(Schultz) better strap on his helmet pretty tight."

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#431 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,559 posts

This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard that Schultz was going to the Oilers. I'm not going to blame AV for this at all...but maybe his reputation precedes him...even if it's not totally fair.

Remember...perception is reality.

What the heck does "perception is reality" mean

#432 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Dubnyk will never be Schnieder. Don't compare the two please.

Schneider has played a total of what, 76 games? Dubnyk has played 101.

Both are around the same age but never played a full season as a starter. Schneider may have better numbers but he plays infront of a better team. Elliott had amazing stats last season. Is he the best goalie in the league?

#433 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,940 posts

kinda glad he didn't come here... else ppl will hate us more around the league.. :lol:

They'll hate us even more if we get Parise or Suter ;)

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#434 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

I have a feeling this guy is going to go down under just like Brunstrom and Gustavsson.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#435 NucksBruins

NucksBruins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

The thing is, the Oilers needed Schultz. The Canucks don't.

It should be fun seeing him play top 4 minutes on Edmonton's horrible d-core. Looks like another last place finish.

They may struggle for wins, but he must be considering the power play opportunities he will have passing to Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Hemsky. I could see the Oilers finishing ahead of Minny and Calgary in the Northwest this coming year, especially if they land one more top 4 defenceman. This would be dependent on Schultz not being a bust of course.

Personally, I am glad MG doesn't promise top 4 minutes to a rookie defenceman. If Connauton were to make the team this coming year, he could be that shot from the point the Canucks need anyway. He has that potential.

I am not mad about this because the Canucks never drafted him and the Oilers had the inside track the whole way along.
Posted Image

#436 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,428 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

@adater: From a player who shall go unnamed: "(Schultz) better strap on his helmet pretty tight."

Bieksa or Kassian :lol:

#437 6YPE

6YPE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

He's where he should be... I don't wish the guy ill will or anything... it was his choice to make and he made the choice he thought was best for him.... Be happy for the kid, he got what he wanted.

On a side note, he hasn't even played a game in the NHL. What if he came here and couldn't adjust to the NHL game???

11s35sy.png

Sig by -Vintage Canuck-

#438 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Not too surprised that Schultz decided to sign in Edmonton.

1.) Money was not an issue (for now). Regardless of if he does well in Edmonton he will still be looking at a very large payday in a couple of years time. If he craps the bed there, it can be explained away as being on a "crappy" team. If he plays poorly in Vancouver it could hurt his future negotiations.

2.) Edmonton likely guaranteed him top-4 (maybe even top-2) ice time, and since they have a bit of weakness in that area I suspect that Schultz felt he could believe their assertions. I'm assuming the Canucks did not make any such guarantees even though there was a pretty good chance that he might well be able to fill such a role here.

In any event, doing top-4 minutes in Edmonton gives him a pretty good chance to pad his offensive numbers. Yes, he'd be able to put up pretty good numbers in Vancouver as well, so I see this as being a bit of a draw.

3.) Having Gretzky and Coffey come by was a smart move on Edmonton's part. They would help Tambellini enhance any vision of re-creating the glory days where Schultz would get to play Paul Coffey.

4.) He likely won't see a lot of playoff hockey in the next few years. This being said, if he does stay in Edmonton and Tambellini manages to keep that team together (ie. not lose anyone due to cap issues), then Schultz could be looking at a playoff window (with a good chance of getting a Cup) of perhaps a decade. The Canucks have maybe half that time left before the current core has left or are well past their prime.

I'm not so upset that he didn't choose here. His offensive upside would be good to have. This being said, I had concerns over his lack of size and strength. One of the largest issues which needed to be addressed regarding the Canucks' defense was that they need to get bigger which will facilitate clearing the front of the net. Nobody gets that in Schultz.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 30 June 2012 - 05:30 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#439 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,428 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

In 2 years we will find out if he's Fabian Brunnstrom or Mat Girardi... I hope by that time we show absolutely no intrest.

We still have Connaughton and now an opening for a Suter signing B)

#440 iCanucksLover

iCanucksLover

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get him, but I don't hate him for it.
He's a player many of us wanted, but don't really need. Good luck to him in Edmonton.

Edited by iCanucksLover, 30 June 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks allons-y!

#441 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

At least we don't have to wait long to get excited again.

Hopefully Gillis will be busy tomorrow.

....and sign another Marco Sturm-esque FA.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#442 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,781 posts

He's where he should be... I don't wish the guy ill will or anything... it was his choice to make and he made the choice he thought was best for him.... Be happy for the kid, he got what he wanted.

On a side note, he hasn't even played a game in the NHL. What if he came here and couldn't adjust to the NHL game???

There is a reason that pretty much every team wanted him. There is also a reason why the Ducks were so desperate to sign him that they even offered him an extension the night before their last game of the season so he would burn a year off his ELC and could get a big raise next summer as a RFA.

Everyone is in agreement that he's a 22 year old that is NHL ready. He plays a man's game. Maybe he never becomes a top pairing Dman but he's almost a lock to be a top 4 guy and guys don't come around for free very often.

#443 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

They'll hate us even more if we get Parise or Suter ;)

There's about 0.1% chance Suter is signing with Vancouver.
Its widely speculated that he'll sign to Detroit or Pittsburg with his buddy Parise.

Yeah we'd all like to acquire the services of Mr.Suter but it ain't happening.

#444 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

at the end of the day it is way to much hype for a kid that was drafted in the 2nd round and has yet to play an nhl game and used a clause in his contract to leave his drafted team its actually a little pathetic on his part not even trying to make the nhl til now

#445 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

1. yes...because the "committed" owner threatened to move the team if the taxpayer didn't build them one.
2. Every team has 4 top defencemen or they would only have a bottom 2!! The caliber is the question. Edmonton have no top caliber D. Schultz will be their "Weber".
3. Dubnyk will be a middle of the pack goalie his entire career. Cory has already played more pressure-packed games than Dub and has shown he will be a top tier goalie.
4. What's your point? Revolving coaches is still a fact.
5. Having wealth doesn't mean you're willing ot spend it...quite often it is the opposite. Despite the Oiler's horrible performance the last few years, has the owner gone to FA to try and attract seasoned, quality players to improve the team? No...he has relied on placing last to draft through the lottery.
6. Ask Chicago about FA and the impact on a team that plans short-term for a cup run. It sure dos make a difference how you structure your team with "stars" mid-range and support staff.

1. The statement from Katz was the Oilers would not be sustainable in Edmonton without a new arena.
2. I agree that Edmonton doesn't have any top pairing defencemen.
3. We'll see. Schnieder plays infront of a good team which helps him look better as a goalie.
4. If Krueger goes anytime soon, so does Tambellini.
5. The UFA market is a horrible place to get players. Teams end up spending big money on average players.
6. Chciago was hooped because of a few reasons. One is that Tallon didn't submit the qualifying offers in time. Another one is that Toews and Kane were on their final year of their entry level deals and were already extended to 6.3 mil contracts. Since Chicago won the cup, Toews, Kane and a few others received bonus performances that were pushed to the next season making it even harder for them to retain their players.

#446 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,297 posts

....and sign another Marco Sturm-esque FA.

Sturm helped us get Booth, so it was actually a pretty good signing.

Posted Image

#447 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

One thing I think we can all take joy in:

Burke didn't get him. :bigblush:

Edited by DeNiro, 30 June 2012 - 02:20 PM.

Posted Image

#448 Vancity87

Vancity87

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

JUDAS!!!
Sig too big.

#449 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Guy would rather be given ice time than earn it. Wouldn't be a good fit here with AV.

Yeah, cuz AV gives ice time based on seniority. Even if Kesler and Bieksa are playing like crap.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#450 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

5 top 4 d-men????? since when!??!?! did they sign weber and suter when i wasn't looking?? because that would only bring them up to 2 top 4 d-men.... and player hitting FA at the same time REALLY does matter, ASK CHICAGO!

its nice that you numbered your points so everyone can tear them apart one by one... maybe you should just put more thought into your next set of bold statements, especially the 5 top 4 d-men the oilers haven't had in decades.

Do you know what a top 4 defenceman is?

It's a defenceman who plays either 1st of 2nd pairing, usually getting 20+ minutes a night that can take a regular shift even strength and play on at least one of the special teams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.