The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Hodgson v2 haha

MG did the right thing not assuring him of ice time, you just don't build a winning team by sucking up to unproven prospects because that just sends a wrong message to all of the other prospects and the organization.

We should respect MG for keeping the team culture and philosphy intact, this kid clearly was after ice time from playing too much NHL. Come on he turned down the Wings, Canucks just for playing time...What does that show? He throws away his favourite team, the team that drafted him, contending teams just for his own personal glory.

MG probably did not go hard after him because throwing away the team that drafted you showed his character. And MG likes players with good character...the intangibles.

A big hit away and this kid's career is going to change. Just like Hall's. Hall plays in such a rugged way that he won't be the same player. Has he even played a full season yet? Yeah young I know, but man you have to feel for that kid. EDM is so soft even with Eager on that team.

They're going for the Chicago build, but the difference is Chicago has a decent coach and had a good Dcore.

Chicago that won the CUP > Edmonton for the next 5 years.

You have to understand the thinking of a 21 year old. It's not a reflection on the Canucks organization. As a 21 year old, would you prefer to join a group full of other early 20`s, who hang out together, share apartments, goof together in the dressing room.. or a group of mostly veterans who have families, nice guys, but a different generation, you know, the sedins, hamhuis, bieksa, salo, malhotra, burrows, higgins..I mean the bulk of the team is veterans.There is no way it`s the same dynamics in both rooms.

Well said. He's 21 years old. A sad part of the current generation, is that they want things right now, not later or to earn them. Can't say that about everyone in this generation, but it's known for it. As you said, would he rather be with people his own age, or go to a team where most are anywhere from 6 to 12 years older than him.

Wish him the best - Maybe he'll develop into a really good player - maybe he won't. Only time will tell.

Kassian will run him over, knock him out for 6 - 8 months with a concussion, then Keith will end it all with a cheap elbow to the head whenever Schultz plays the Hawks...Karma Justin, Karma

Karma for what? What has he done?

Your post is a perfect example of why he wouldn't want to play for this fan base.

Hodgson v2 haha

MG did the right thing not assuring him of ice time, you just don't build a winning team by sucking up to unproven prospects because that just sends a wrong message to all of the other prospects and the organization.

We should respect MG for keeping the team culture and philosphy intact, this kid clearly was after ice time from playing too much NHL. Come on he turned down the Wings, Canucks just for playing time...What does that show? He throws away his favourite team, the team that drafted him, contending teams just for his own personal glory.

MG probably did not go hard after him because throwing away the team that drafted you showed his character. And MG likes players with good character...the intangibles.

Again, well thought out and well said.

Give him a break, if Wayne Gretzky and Paul Coffey called you and tried to convince you to play for the Oilers, I'm sure any hockey player would do so without a second thought, plus Edmonton's only getting stronger as they load up on prospects and picks

Fans better get used to the fact no young player wants to play for the Canucks as long as AV is here.

AV develops players just fine go look at some of the players that have develop under him, hell even Hodgson played better under AV coaching then he did in Buffalo. Look at how good Tanev is coming along, look at Edler, Kesler, Hansen... AV is a fine coach for developing players. Would've loved Schultz here and the fact he's a BC boy makes it even better but this didn't happen.

Also man if I'm a Ducks fan I'm really hating the Oilers Schultz signing and the Penner offer sheet hahah Oiler really screw that team around.

Would love to see Connauton make the team this year and show everyone wrong. They'll be asking who is Justin Schultz and while Schultz struggles to find his game which I suspect he will due to the development in Edmonton Connauton will prove us all wrong again. Few years down the road Corrado and McNally. We're fine, Schultz would have been nice...but too small and not what we need.

I talked to a Oilers friend just now congratulated him, but I said to him Oilers dont' need another young guy, they need a veteran guy and he agreed. He said he thinks they'll send him to the minors to develop. I said Oilers are the only team to guarantee him minutes. He's like well that's ???? great....lol

Archived