633 replies to this topic

#571 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,286 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but it's quite possible we dodged a bullet with this one. He gets drafted by Anaheim and then bails on the team. Then signs with a club based on getting ice time. You want to give ice time to unproven (At NHL level at least) rookie d-man? What if he sucks in training camp? Will he hold out if he gets demoted?

Remember when Jeff Finger had a good season with Colorado, then signs a big deal with the Leafs? Where is he now?

I feel sorry for Anaheim for wasting a 2nd round pick on the guy. I hope he is all that Edmonton hopes he is. But he sounds like he could be one of those players that brings a lot of baggage around.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#572 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but it's quite possible we dodged a bullet with this one. He gets drafted by Anaheim and then bails on the team. Then signs with a club based on getting ice time. You want to give ice time to unproven (At NHL level at least) rookie d-man? What if he sucks in training camp? Will he hold out if he gets demoted?

Remember when Jeff Finger had a good season with Colorado, then signs a big deal with the Leafs? Where is he now?

I feel sorry for Anaheim for wasting a 2nd round pick on the guy. I hope he is all that Edmonton hopes he is. But he sounds like he could be one of those players that brings a lot of baggage around.

Actually, the Oilers didn't offer him ice time or even promise him a roster spot.

EDIT: lol can you imagine though? All this hype and he cant get a roster spot lol

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 30 June 2012 - 06:38 PM.

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#573 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

This guy could very well be a huge bust, and he's going to get exploited badly playing on a terrible Edmonton team with shocking goaltending. Good luck kid, your development is about to go downhill fast.
Posted Image

#574 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

@ryandittrick: "I don't want to be the guy that gets a guaranteed spot. I want to earn it and you should have to earn it in the NHL." - Schultz

@ryandittrick: Just spoke to Justin Schultz. Thrilled to be coming to #YEG. Said #Oilers made no guarantees about ice-time or a role next season.

Hmmmmm.

#575 SheaWeber6

SheaWeber6

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

He should be the biggest risk to sign, even more than Penner because this guy has no on ice experience in the NHL whatsoever, he has not even played a pre-season game in the NHL I believe, completely different than the NCAA.

Not to mention he went to Edmonton, so he is destined to not do well right off the bat, which means he will take serious heat around the league, which means he will only get worse, which all eludes to the same thing, a bust.

#576 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

@ryandittrick: "I don't want to be the guy that gets a guaranteed spot. I want to earn it and you should have to earn it in the NHL." - Schultz

@ryandittrick: Just spoke to Justin Schultz. Thrilled to be coming to #YEG. Said #Oilers made no guarantees about ice-time or a role next season.

Hmmmmm.

They don't have to tell him that he has a guaranteed spot. Isn't it a given based on how weak their D is?

He definitely went their for a better chance at more ice-time. He's lying if he says otherwise.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#577 Edler0023

Edler0023

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

They don't have to tell him that he has a guaranteed spot. Isn't it a given based on how weak their D is?

He definitely went their for a better chance at more ice-time. He's lying if he says otherwise.

Exactly.

#578 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

The kid is going to get booed in every building he plays in

Wayyyy too much of a diva for someone who hasn't played a single NHL game yet.

Not a big loss for us to not get him IMO

That's not his fault! He hasn't been engaged with the media! He can't help if he's hot property.

The people who are saying Hodgson 2.0 are nuts. Hodgson was not an UFA when he went to Buffalo.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#579 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

The Oilers will be a good team, but will have a heck of a time fitting in all those 1st overall picks once the level entry contracts expire. No realistic way they keep this group intact for very long.

(player)-Hall-Eberle
2-7-7
(player)-RNH-Yakupov
2-7-7
Hartikainen-Lander-Paajarvi
2-2-2
(depth player)-(depth player)-(depth player)
1-1-1
EXTRA:(depth player)

(shutdown dman)-Schultz
3-7
(shutdowndman)-Petry
3-4
(depth dman)-(depth dman)
1.5-1.5
EXTRA:(depth dman)-(depth dman)
1.25-1

starter
backup

69 million which fits under next year's proposed cap

#580 Luongo1

Luongo1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

I wish Schultz nothing but the best in Edmonton as I had my hopes on Garrison come tonight at midnight. Has anyone even considered the thought that maybe he didn't sign here because he would not measure up to our D core. Let's face it, Edmonton has no D, so even if he makes blunders every game, it will be disguised by the rest of the D's screw ups. Just a thought.

Edited by Luongo1, 30 June 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Special Thanks to Bertrox44 for the Sig!

#581 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

In all honesty I really only wanted Shultz just to show the rest of the hockey world that Vancouver is a destination players really want to come too, and that a nice good young free prospect for the future. That being said, its not like the Canucks really are that desperate for a player like shultz anyway. I see him being a good player, but not as good as a player like EDLER anyway. In the way of defence, I would suggest the Canucks go after a bigger and more rugged shut down type. Canucks have plenty quality puck moving D. And lets not forget some of the prospects on D the canucks have in K-Conn, Mcnally, Corrado, ect....

I feel Shultz has some room to grow still and probably won't make any real impact for some time. The Oilers are going to be good but the Canucks are good now and for the foreseeable future, so lets all relax and enjoy our team. Go Canucks! :towel:
:towel:

#582 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

DAMN GRETZKY AND COFFEY. FRACKING OILERS LAME STRATEGY.
SON OF A GUN
Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#583 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

I guess winning a cup isn't important to the kid. The Oilers suck. I'm still pissed off about this. Hopefully he doesn't come crying home if the Oilers can't afford to fit him under the cap in a couple years.
Posted Image

#584 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Mac T is with the Oilers now, bub.

No kidding pal, that is why he was with the Oilers in Toronto pitching Edmonton. Maybe now you will understand why I said,

interesting, Mac T was in on the pitch, wonder what he had to say about the Canucks?

Edited by canuckelhead70, 30 June 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#585 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:35 PM

Can't believe how fast people turned on this kid just cause we're out. If anyone is the sell-out, its you guys who are degrading Justin. Kid is making a personal career decision for himself. Who are you to judge?

It hurts even more when the cliff is actually higher than you anticipated.
Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#586 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Hmmmmm.

Haha that is such a load of _____.

#587 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Is it just me or did the Oilers tamper all the way to the finish line here. I'd laugh if the Ducks filed tampering on Edmonton and the NHL hit them hard.

Yes, NHL please fine Gretzky and Coffey as well. They dont even work for Oilers.
Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#588 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

All will be forgiven if MG makes a huge splash tomorrow...and i mean EXPLOSIVELY HUGE! :bigblush:

Gillis is going to unload his load tomorrow and It will definitely be HUGE!!!He probably didn't get to spend time with his wife coz of the schultz saga.Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by HiFiclub, 30 June 2012 - 07:48 PM.

Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#589 canuckkiller

canuckkiller

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

When you google the term 'butthurt', this thread is going to pop up. I wish you guys could see how petty, bitter and hateful you're acting. Everyone saying that karma is going to catch up with Justin Schultz and then pray he suffers a career ending injury might want to consider the irony of that. Grow up, Edmonton is going to have a hell of a team and he wants to be part of it. Not many players take 'their favourite team' into consideration when signing. They are players, not irrational fanboys. Canucks currently have a great team but with a window that's closing faster than you realize. Oilers were the right choice.

"But but... they have no goaltending! and they finished dead last so that means they are going to finish last every year because that's the logic my brain comes up with! And they're stupid cheaters and I just filled my diaper."

#590 HiFiclub

HiFiclub

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

Seriously...this whole Gretzky lobbying the Oilers thing was really cheap! I mean you have nothing else to offer that you have to ask Gretzky to lobby for you? As soon as I heard that I knew he'd probably pick Edmonton.

We should haved answered Messier to talk with Schultz. That would change his mind for sure.
Posted Image

Canucks
Posted Image

#591 Happy Gilmore

Happy Gilmore

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

The kid is going to get booed in every building he plays in

Wayyyy too much of a diva for someone who hasn't played a single NHL game yet.

Not a big loss for us to not get him IMO

It's not his fault the media, specifically social media, blew this whole "decision" out of proportion. He was no different than any other sought after free agent.
"You find that you have peace of mind when you know that it was a 100% effort you gave, win or lose." -Gordie Howe

#592 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,403 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

ITT: Butthurt Canucks fans.

OH NO SOMEONE IS THINKING OF THEIR CAREER RATHER THAN WHAT WE WANT!

This thread is great. The amount of butthurt is just laughable.

Posted Image

These Schultz threads are hilarious, thanks to butthurt Canucks fans.

Bout as equal to the amount of people that can't be more creative then "butthurt" and other internet memes.(3 on this page I am quoting alone) We get it, you guys are superior to the standard passionate venting fan.

I could not care less where this kid ended up, just glad GMMG had nothing to do with paying a guy almost as much as Schneider who never has stepped on NHL ice.

Edited by TimberWolf, 30 June 2012 - 08:18 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#593 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Wow how fast the opinion on these boards turn on the kid. He is free to sign where he wants and he chose to get more ice time playing with kids his age. Nothing wrong with that. Doesn't make him a spoiled kid or a diva. Geez. He doesn't owe us anything.

And to those blaming AV. Come on now. He should just give rookies more ice time without earning it. Have any of you guys even played on a team? How would you fell playing years earning your spot and some kid who is hyped comes in and the coach just gives him your ice time.

#594 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

lol @ Bob Mackenzie ripping into everyone on twitter for calling Schultz a diva. Nice to see him sticking up for the kid. Go get 'em, Bob!!
Posted Image

#595 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,223 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:31 PM

They have a pretty neat core set up now with Hall, RNH, Eberle and Schultz but I still feel Paajarvi will shine as a 2nd/3rd liner.

Supposing the big-4 want 6 million each once they start to hit their prime, Edmonton will be tied down quite a bit, and they still need some big physical defencemen, better depth up front and most importantly a goalie. No matter how good their forwards are, a bad goalie won't get them far and Dubynk is not their saviour.
Posted Image

#596 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Wow...He chose to go to Edmonton because guaranteed minutes are implied. Worst team in the league 3 years running and he saw how much ice the Halls and Hopkins got.

Hey if he wants ice time and less pressure than good for him. But we don't want players like that on our team, Hodgson 2.0.

Subbancopy.jpg

#597 canuckkiller

canuckkiller

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

Wow...He chose to go to Edmonton because guaranteed minutes are implied. Worst team in the league 3 years running and he saw how much ice the Halls and Hopkins got.

Hey if he wants ice time and less pressure than good for him. But we don't want players like that on our team, Hodgson 2.0.

Sure thing, Lebron. lol, wow.

#598 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Sure thing, Lebron. lol, wow.

Refer to him as "King", peasant.

Subbancopy.jpg

#599 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

I believe Schultz handled this whole circus very well and made his decision carefully and rationally. He will get big minutes on a very promising team full of potentially great players, at least at forward. I would have liked to see him in a Vancouver uniform but it wasn't to be this time. I wish the kid all the best and sincerely hope he turns out to be the star that most folks think he will be. Not getting Schultz will not make a whole lot of difference to how the Canucks play this coming season. They will win a whole lot of games and will be in the thick of the push for the Stanley Cup. While it would have been nice for Schultz to be part of it, the other part is that by him not signing here, it opens the door for someone else to come in and do the job. Whoever that will be we don't know yet, but Gillis stuck to his philosophy of not guaranteeing a rookie specific ice time or a particular role.

Whenever one door closes, another one opens. Trust in Gillis.

#600 canuckkiller

canuckkiller

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Refer to him as "King", peasant.

You got it. *rolls eyes*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.