The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

If losing guaranteed a cup, the blue jackets would have several by now.

The fact is, nothing guarantees a cup no matter how much talent you have. Alot still needs to go right.

They could struggle to find a number 1 goalie for years, or all their D-men could be busts. At this point they're still very far from getting a cup.

I never said it's a guarenteed cup, I'm sure saying we better win it now cause I think they will kick our *ss in the future.

Everyone! That's hockey, you know? It's only, it's only game! Why you heff to be mad? He's a good guy!

In all seriousness though, I wish Shultz the best. He obviously loves the Canucks, but I think he feels the needs to established himself first before he gets here. And yes, that is an "AV isn't good with offensive prospects" comment. He needs to be at least at an Errorhoff level before he steps in as a UFA ;-)

He'll be a Canuck one day, mark my words :canucks:::D:canucks:

...unless you guys boo him out of the arena, of course. Seriously...

GMMG made a huge booboo re-signing AV,

This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard that Schultz was going to the Oilers. I'm not going to blame AV for this at all...but maybe his reputation precedes him...even if it's not totally fair.

Remember...perception is reality.

I never said it's a guarenteed cup, I'm sure saying we better win it now cause I think they will kick our *ss in the future.

Who's to say they will?

Just because you get 1st overall picks doesn't mean you'll be a good team. The players still have to gel, and teams need great role players to win.

You can get great players late in the first round too. Just look at Perry and Kesler.

Honestly, good for him, Im not mad at all. What I dont understand is, people kept saying he was a 'huge' Canucks fan growing up, then signs with the Canucks #2 or 3 rival and possibly help them win another Cup..

People will say the chose Edmonton because its better for his career.. I dont think its a wise choice, he will get exposed in Edmonton with their youth and inexperience when he could be playing and learning from seasoned NHL veterans on the Canucks and grow into a top 4 defenceman he thinks he is.

He wanted icetime handed to him, and that goes against the philosophy MG and AV has built this team around. He should have learned from Hodgson, now he's in Buffallo thinking what if.

I hope he thinks about this whenever he sees the Canucks on the PP destroying the Oilers.

This was the first thing that came to mind when I heard that Schultz was going to the Oilers. I'm not going to blame AV for this at all...but maybe his reputation precedes him...even if it's not totally fair.

Remember...perception is reality.

What the heck does "perception is reality" mean

Dubnyk will never be Schnieder. Don't compare the two please.

Schneider has played a total of what, 76 games? Dubnyk has played 101.

Both are around the same age but never played a full season as a starter. Schneider may have better numbers but he plays infront of a better team. Elliott had amazing stats last season. Is he the best goalie in the league?

The thing is, the Oilers needed Schultz. The Canucks don't.

It should be fun seeing him play top 4 minutes on Edmonton's horrible d-core. Looks like another last place finish.

They may struggle for wins, but he must be considering the power play opportunities he will have passing to Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, and Hemsky. I could see the Oilers finishing ahead of Minny and Calgary in the Northwest this coming year, especially if they land one more top 4 defenceman. This would be dependent on Schultz not being a bust of course.

Personally, I am glad MG doesn't promise top 4 minutes to a rookie defenceman. If Connauton were to make the team this coming year, he could be that shot from the point the Canucks need anyway. He has that potential.

I am not mad about this because the Canucks never drafted him and the Oilers had the inside track the whole way along.

He's where he should be... I don't wish the guy ill will or anything... it was his choice to make and he made the choice he thought was best for him.... Be happy for the kid, he got what he wanted.

On a side note, he hasn't even played a game in the NHL. What if he came here and couldn't adjust to the NHL game???

Not too surprised that Schultz decided to sign in Edmonton.

1.) Money was not an issue (for now). Regardless of if he does well in Edmonton he will still be looking at a very large payday in a couple of years time. If he craps the bed there, it can be explained away as being on a "crappy" team. If he plays poorly in Vancouver it could hurt his future negotiations.

2.) Edmonton likely guaranteed him top-4 (maybe even top-2) ice time, and since they have a bit of weakness in that area I suspect that Schultz felt he could believe their assertions. I'm assuming the Canucks did not make any such guarantees even though there was a pretty good chance that he might well be able to fill such a role here.

In any event, doing top-4 minutes in Edmonton gives him a pretty good chance to pad his offensive numbers. Yes, he'd be able to put up pretty good numbers in Vancouver as well, so I see this as being a bit of a draw.

3.) Having Gretzky and Coffey come by was a smart move on Edmonton's part. They would help Tambellini enhance any vision of re-creating the glory days where Schultz would get to play Paul Coffey.

4.) He likely won't see a lot of playoff hockey in the next few years. This being said, if he does stay in Edmonton and Tambellini manages to keep that team together (ie. not lose anyone due to cap issues), then Schultz could be looking at a playoff window (with a good chance of getting a Cup) of perhaps a decade. The Canucks have maybe half that time left before the current core has left or are well past their prime.

I'm not so upset that he didn't choose here. His offensive upside would be good to have. This being said, I had concerns over his lack of size and strength. One of the largest issues which needed to be addressed regarding the Canucks' defense was that they need to get bigger which will facilitate clearing the front of the net. Nobody gets that in Schultz.

regards,

G.

Archived