The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moving on, isn't a number 1 D-man still needed?

six-0h-four-

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We don't have one standout but people make it sound like that is a bad thing. Having a "Norris candidate defenseman" is overrated and not necessary. Why have 1 standout when you can have many that step up at different times.

Look no further than New Jersey last year not having a Norris defenseman and getting to the Cup Finals.

Edler, Tanev, conditional two firsts, Schroeder for weber and C. Wilson

Edler is cheaper for Nashville and Weber doesn't want to play there anymore. C.Wilson is not a coach favourite but offers the Canucks more scoring and grit.

Lol actually can pick anywhere he wants to play and chooses the oilers out of all team. He picked one of the worst teams in the past 5years to play for.

If I were him I would have stayed in Anaheim. Warm weather, beautiful women....But he would rather play in Edmonton lol hahah

I can't believe a few people voted "not one standout" when a team out there would love to have the defence we have right now. Yeah, we might need a signing this off-season but if you look at the names in our D, other teams would drool to have them all on the same team.

This planet is whacked.

We don't have one standout but people make it sound like that is a bad thing. Having a "Norris candidate defenseman" is overrated and not necessary. Why have 1 standout when you can have many that step up at different times.

Look no further than New Jersey last year not having a Norris defenseman and getting to the Cup Finals.

surprise, surprise, the canucks are losers why the hell would he sign with the canucks when the fans treat super stars like crap... and being a hockey fan i would rather play against the canucks then with them its much funner to upset the fans....

We got within one game with an extremely injured team and without your precious "Norris candidate defenseman." If we would have won, you would all be singing a different tune. Quit thinking that winning the Stanley Cup is that simple and easy.

I think the top need is a solid player who compliments Edler well. It doesn't have to be a star, just somebody that can move the puck and be responsible defensively.

That will allow Edler to emerge as the #1 guy we all want to see. He has the tools, but has never really had the right partner to flourish.

I can't believe a few people voted "not one standout" when a team out there would love to have the defence we have right now. Yeah, we might need a signing this off-season but if you look at the names in our D, other teams would drool to have them all on the same team.

This planet is whacked.

We're not getting Schultz, so let's start moving on. Although my pride is hurt, I can see why he would want to sign elsewhere. With Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler and company he's not coming in as "The Guy". In a place like Edmonton, there is no pressure to win whatsoever. I digress.

That being said, is Garrison therefore really our best option? He played in Florida in a weak division, had a lot of PP time and played alongside Bryan Campbell. Some sources say he will be grabbing upwards of 5 million. Is this really the best option for the Canucks? Having a roster full of number 2,3,4 defense has notched us back to back President's Trophies, but not the illusive Stanley Cup.

In fact, you can go back throughout the entire history of the organization, and we have never had a number 1 defenseman. If the Canuck's all time best defensemen debate is between Mattias Ohlund and Jyrki Lumme, is this not one of the glaring reason's we still do not have a Cup?

Look at the past few Stanley Cup winners... LA, Boston, and Chicago have all had their top defensemen play like top defensemen en route to a Cup win. Who would you say has been our best defensemen over the past 5 playoff runs? (or lack thereof)

OK, I'm cooled off.

Archived