The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Moving on, isn't a number 1 D-man still needed?

six-0h-four-

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't believe a few people voted "not one standout" when a team out there would love to have the defence we have right now. Yeah, we might need a signing this off-season but if you look at the names in our D, other teams would drool to have them all on the same team.

This planet is whacked.

surprise, surprise, the canucks are losers why the hell would he sign with the canucks when the fans treat super stars like crap... and being a hockey fan i would rather play against the canucks then with them its much funner to upset the fans....

Everybody take a step take a step back,

Garrison doesn't put the canucks over the top. We're not necessarily better on defence with the line-up. We've had the luxury of having quality d-men on our bottom line when were completely healthly.

We have to have a objective view on this. I've seen wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many over-paid bust UFA's (see: Bouwmeester, Komisarek, Martin, Michalek, etc.)

I have faith in Gillis and support his moves. He wants to win as bad as we do.

I don't want to see Edler, Bieksa or Hamhuis leave. I would like to see us pick up a free agent like Suter or Garrison, if we can't pick up a free agent, then we should look at trading guys like Ballard, Rome, Alberts, and Connauton (I'd like to keep Tanev if possible)

I don't want to see Edler, Bieksa or Hamhuis leave. I would like to see us pick up a free agent like Suter or Garrison, if we can't pick up a free agent, then we should look at trading guys like Ballard, Rome, Alberts, and Connauton (I'd like to keep Tanev if possible)

Teams don't trade away #1 or 2 D-men unless those players ask to be traded.

The way the Canucks payroll is structured I can't see a Suter or Weber ever playing here.

I love to see a shutdown D-man come here, one with size to clear the front of the net when needed.

Bryan Allen would be an upgrade over Rome, Matt Carle might be another target, not a shutdown guy but can put up points & better than Schultz in the short term.

We need a 3rd line centre isn't that why we got Phalsson?

For heavens sake no Marco Sturm type signings PLEASE.

Seems Gillis is looking for a diamond in the rough & all he's finding if fools gold.

Think it might be time to be a bit bold, the best before date is approaching we're only a few pieces removed but it is significant.

The Sedins can't carry the load, they need consistent secondary help.

The way the Canucks payroll is structured I can't see a Suter or Weber ever playing here.

I love to see a shutdown D-man come here, one with size to clear the front of the net when needed.

Bryan Allen would be an upgrade over Rome, Matt Carle might be another target, not a shutdown guy but can put up points & better than Schultz in the short term.

Seems Gillis is looking for a diamond in the rough & all he's finding if fools gold.

Think it might be time to be a bit bold, the best before date is approaching we're only a few pieces removed but it is significant.

/user/63817-six-0h-four/">six-0h-four- True but I'm not sure if guys have places they really want to go, sure a few do but I think for most it's strictly business.

Is Gillis really going to bring in an 8 Mil guy? Same goes for Suter.

Honestly I really thought Schultz was going to come here,being from Kelowna.

So Weber being from Sicamous seems to mean little in the big picture.

Until you get the right guy, I believe we would be better to get the BPA moneyball style. Then you have stability to get the guy playing from strength, when he's available!

To me the moneyball signing is Sheldon Souray. He could, with our PP, conceivably score more than Garrison easily, but also add the 238 lb nasty, willing to throw em down, body that we need without breaking the bank. And he would be good enough (see his role in Dallas) that Gillis could perhaps score our guy in a luongo trade without worrying abut fielding a competitive team.

Another under the radar veteran guy who could help us, at the defensive end, is Scott Hannan.

And Carle is more interesting to me than Garrison.

Carle, Garrison and Suter are the only FA's available tomorrow that u would consider an upgrade to our D, and really only Suter is considered a possible #1.

Sure, historically, cup winners have had a #1 defenseman. But that can be said for almost every other aspect of the game too. Cup winners have had effective 4th lines who hit, forechecked, and were responsible defensively. Same goes for the 3rd line but more offense. Offensive production from the top 2 lines. Hot goaltender. Luck with injuries.

Point is you need to be well rounded everywhere to win a Stanley Cup.

Not a big deal. I'm not too upset we missed out on Schultz. I'd rather have some experienced defencemen. Hopefully Gillis can land Garrison for a decent price.

Schultz took the easy way out. Just like how he used a loophole to get what he wants, he's going to Edmonton so the big minutes and opportunities will be handed to him on a silver platter. All these young guys are good, but unless they get some real players to lead them they'll still be stuck at the bottom.

Anyway I hope we can get Garrison. Our defence will look something like this:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Salo

Alberts/Tanev

I think Salo will be re-signed. I think Salo and Tanev will work out some sort of rotation to keep Salo healthy and fresh.

I'd rather trade Ballard and try to find someone cheaper. I'd like to go after Doug Murray for the bottom pair. I think we need some physicality in our backend and someone who can physically handle big forwards. But if we land Garrison and re-sign Salo we should be good for now.

think we need to draft a Norris type D-man...

unless we can trade for one with Lou I can't see us getting a stud type guy...

Souray.....he might be interesting but a gamble & a bit of a liability

Carle can be much better.... hell he was a +30 something with Pronger at his side

They made it to the finals but they didn't win the cup.

History proves that teams that win the Cup have a Norris calibre player on their team.

2007: Anaheim - Pronger, Neidermayer

2008: Detroit - Lidstrom, Rafalski

2009: Pittsburgh - Letang

2010: Chicago - Keith

2011: Boston - Chara

2012: LA - Doughty

Notice the trend? That's 6 years in a row. Defence wins championships.

All of them have had their bright spots and dark shades over the playoffs lately. The reason we went so far in the playoffs 2 years ago was because different defencemen stood up at different times during the playoffs.

Edler was our best D-man in the 1st round, Hamhuis too.

All of them played well against Nashville, but they didn't have much of a hard task. Ehrhoff in particular was great.

Bieksa and Salo really shined against San Jose, especially Salo.

Then Edler broke his hand and played like crap, Hamhuis was injured, Salo was fatigued and Ehrhoff was banged up against Boston which is why they all stunk.

Archived