The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

There are good Gm's and Great Gm's

I am starting to worry That Gillis will go down in the books as being merely a GOOD Gm. For the First time in four years I have started to worry about the direction of the team. Its clear our window is shutting, an optimist could say we have two years left for a realistic cup run in this cyclical NHL World where teams rise and fall with the only few exception's such as Detroit who somehow pull talent out of their ears and defy all of science.

But does anyone else feel It was unwise to build the team on the foundation of Luongo in 2010-11 with such certainty and not continue on with the notion. It worries me that he would gamble so much with such a cumbersome contract. My point is i worry about his conviction and how he acts on them. Surly Cory has something to do with this, yes, but he has always been a great prospect, i am certain he had to foresee this dilemma. In the Nucks world of what have you done for me lately, Cory Is unproven in the playoffs with good stats in reg season. So i do scratch my head when so many are so exited to have him number one, as if he is a sure thing. Im exited at the uncertain idea too, mind you. American goal tenders have been dream killers in my many years as a hockey fan; Richter, Thomas. But just making my Opinion known that we would receive much more for Schneider then Luongo, and for the last two years, i figured it was the plan to move Cory.

Another thing i wonder, are other Gm's receptive of Gillis and his ideas of worth? Burke seemed annoyed with what we asked for Lu. I worry our goaltending situation, which with a clear head we should look upon as a blessing, could turn into a fiasco.

Until the goaltending situation is figured out, we are in limbo. I hope at the end of all of this, when Gillis steps down, when ever this happens, that we will look back and see Good moves hes made. Maybe, hodgson for kassian was wonderful. Maybe our push for toughness is wise. Maybe its not a bad thing that free agents don't seem as exited at the prospect of coming here, as they had been for the past two years...

This has been a hard off season to follow.

I am starting to worry That Gillis will go down in the books as being merely a GOOD Gm. For the First time in four years I have started to worry about the direction of the team. Its clear our window is shutting, an optimist could say we have two years left for a realistic cup run in this cyclical NHL World where teams rise and fall with the only few exception's such as Detroit who somehow pull talent out of their ears and defy all of science.

But does anyone else feel It was unwise to build the team on the foundation of Luongo in 2010-11 with such certainty and not continue on with the notion. It worries me that he would gamble so much with such a cumbersome contract. My point is i worry about his conviction and how he acts on them. Surly Cory has something to do with this, yes, but he has always been a great prospect, i am certain he had to foresee this dilemma. In the Nucks world of what have you done for me lately, Cory Is unproven in the playoffs with good stats in reg season. So i do scratch my head when so many are so exited to have him number one, as if he is a sure thing. Im exited at the uncertain idea too, mind you. American goal tenders have been dream killers in my many years as a hockey fan; Richter, Thomas. But just making my Opinion known that we would receive much more for Schneider then Luongo, and for the last two years, i figured it was the plan to move Cory.

Another thing i wonder, are other Gm's receptive of Gillis and his ideas of worth? Burke seemed annoyed with what we asked for Lu. I worry our goaltending situation, which with a clear head we should look upon as a blessing, could turn into a fiasco.

Until the goaltending situation is figured out, we are in limbo. I hope at the end of all of this, when Gillis steps down, when ever this happens, that we will look back and see Good moves hes made. Maybe, hodgson for kassian was wonderful. Maybe our push for toughness is wise. Maybe its not a bad thing that free agents don't seem as exited at the prospect of coming here, as they had been for the past two years...

so limited with 11million in cap space we are... its terrible how we never spend up to the cap so we wont expect MG to use that 11m on anything tomorrow.

Ah poop I wish we were more like Edmonton who fails 3 years in a row and gets 3 top young first overall picks that can play video games with Justin Schultz in the summer when they can't make the playoffs.

I'm sure this being posted hours after the Schultz news that this has everything to do with that.

The free agent market is poor compared to previous years. we likely wont get a "game changer". More like a Booth or the like. So free agency isnt much on My mind.

I never really consider MG to be a great GM. A very good one yes, but not great. He has done a lot of great things for this team. The team is well run off the ice, and his trades and signing have been (mostly) good. But I can't call him a great GM, at least not yet.

People on CDC like to overrreact to things, so many like to paint Gillis as some kind of god. But the truth is, it's not like he built this Stanley Cup contending team from scratch. And more importantly, he hasn't even won the Cup yet. Can you really be considered a great GM until you've won the Stanley Cup?

Maybe I just have really high standards, but the only GM in the NHL that I consider to be truly great is Ken Holland. That guy is a winner. Over 14 years under his watch he Red Wings have won 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Presidents Trophies, and have never missed the playoffs.

MG said in his presser that things were in the works and the fans would be happy with what is coming.

Not sure if we'll find out tomorrow or if he misread the situation with Schultz but that does get one's hopes up.

I think all the negativity and anxiety on CDC is because we know this team as it stands is not good enough to challenge again, especially with all the other contenders stocking up on talent. We're nervous that our young prospects aren't as good as everyone else's... that Raymond will spend another year not earning a top 6 spot...that the Lu situation will continue and we won't have a good return for his contract this year.

I'm sure MG has a plan for all of this but it's the waiting that is a killer. MG and his team are working on all kinds of deals and scenarios so for them, time is going too fast. For CDC, it's like time is standing stil.

I am hopeful but nervous.

MG said in his presser that things were in the works and the fans would be happy with what is coming.

Not sure if we'll find out tomorrow or if he misread the situation with Schultz but that does get one's hopes up.

I think all the negativity and anxiety on CDC is because we know this team as it stands is not good enough to challenge again, especially with all the other contenders stocking up on talent. We're nervous that our young prospects aren't as good as everyone else's... that Raymond will spend another year not earning a top 6 spot...that the Lu situation will continue and we won't have a good return for his contract this year.

I'm sure MG has a plan for all of this but it's the waiting that is a killer. MG and his team are working on all kinds of deals and scenarios so for them, time is going too fast. For CDC, it's like time is standing stil.

I am hopeful but nervous.

Archived