The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

There are good Gm's and Great Gm's

I am starting to worry That Gillis will go down in the books as being merely a GOOD Gm. For the First time in four years I have started to worry about the direction of the team. Its clear our window is shutting, an optimist could say we have two years left for a realistic cup run in this cyclical NHL World where teams rise and fall with the only few exception's such as Detroit who somehow pull talent out of their ears and defy all of science.

But does anyone else feel It was unwise to build the team on the foundation of Luongo in 2010-11 with such certainty and not continue on with the notion. It worries me that he would gamble so much with such a cumbersome contract. My point is i worry about his conviction and how he acts on them. Surly Cory has something to do with this, yes, but he has always been a great prospect, i am certain he had to foresee this dilemma. In the Nucks world of what have you done for me lately, Cory Is unproven in the playoffs with good stats in reg season. So i do scratch my head when so many are so exited to have him number one, as if he is a sure thing. Im exited at the uncertain idea too, mind you. American goal tenders have been dream killers in my many years as a hockey fan; Richter, Thomas. But just making my Opinion known that we would receive much more for Schneider then Luongo, and for the last two years, i figured it was the plan to move Cory.

Another thing i wonder, are other Gm's receptive of Gillis and his ideas of worth? Burke seemed annoyed with what we asked for Lu. I worry our goaltending situation, which with a clear head we should look upon as a blessing, could turn into a fiasco.

Until the goaltending situation is figured out, we are in limbo. I hope at the end of all of this, when Gillis steps down, when ever this happens, that we will look back and see Good moves hes made. Maybe, hodgson for kassian was wonderful. Maybe our push for toughness is wise. Maybe its not a bad thing that free agents don't seem as exited at the prospect of coming here, as they had been for the past two years...

This has been a hard off season to follow.

I am starting to worry That Gillis will go down in the books as being merely a GOOD Gm. For the First time in four years I have started to worry about the direction of the team. Its clear our window is shutting, an optimist could say we have two years left for a realistic cup run in this cyclical NHL World where teams rise and fall with the only few exception's such as Detroit who somehow pull talent out of their ears and defy all of science.

But does anyone else feel It was unwise to build the team on the foundation of Luongo in 2010-11 with such certainty and not continue on with the notion. It worries me that he would gamble so much with such a cumbersome contract. My point is i worry about his conviction and how he acts on them. Surly Cory has something to do with this, yes, but he has always been a great prospect, i am certain he had to foresee this dilemma. In the Nucks world of what have you done for me lately, Cory Is unproven in the playoffs with good stats in reg season. So i do scratch my head when so many are so exited to have him number one, as if he is a sure thing. Im exited at the uncertain idea too, mind you. American goal tenders have been dream killers in my many years as a hockey fan; Richter, Thomas. But just making my Opinion known that we would receive much more for Schneider then Luongo, and for the last two years, i figured it was the plan to move Cory.

Another thing i wonder, are other Gm's receptive of Gillis and his ideas of worth? Burke seemed annoyed with what we asked for Lu. I worry our goaltending situation, which with a clear head we should look upon as a blessing, could turn into a fiasco.

Until the goaltending situation is figured out, we are in limbo. I hope at the end of all of this, when Gillis steps down, when ever this happens, that we will look back and see Good moves hes made. Maybe, hodgson for kassian was wonderful. Maybe our push for toughness is wise. Maybe its not a bad thing that free agents don't seem as exited at the prospect of coming here, as they had been for the past two years...

This has been a hard off season to follow.

Sure is easy to sit here in this position and critique.

Anyone remember the qoalie days of Injured Cloutier, Auld, Raycroft, Sabourin, Sanford, Hedberg?

That's 10 years of a dry well. In spite of all that, GMMG finally gets us a franchise goaltender, heck, we get two. Wait a sec, If Lack does well, we have THREE. Count em OP, THREE. I see hope, tons of it. We have a goalie to trade IF we want. But wait, it gets better, WE DON'T HAVE TO TRADE EITHER OF THEM. We have cap space for both.

Yeah, it's been horrible. Just awful.

I could go on, but feel that most of us need a chill pill. It's not even free agency, truth be told, we aren't even allowed to talk to players till tomorrow. What on earth did you want MG to do? Trade all our picks for signing rights to players who don't want to come here? Come on guys.

I think there are far to many people who think that Gillis and AV are responsible for the Luongo Fiasco . We for get sometimes that playing on the west coast has been really hard On lu and his family . I wonder how much of the decision to shop Lu or for him to waive his NTC was actually from the Lu camp and had nothing to do with the way the Canucks camp wanted to move forward . If you look at the situation in that light it acutally seems realistic that Luongo could have said ok you want corey to take over for me in the playoffs I get that . However lets talk about moving me back to where my Family ties are . I dont think either camp was ever Unclassy about the situation but lets face it &*@# happens .

if you win a cup you are Great if you don't your good - same applies to coaching as well. Gillis like every GM has done some good and done some not so good. Lu hasn't been traded yet because there is nothing to trade yet. He is not going to give Lu a way or be pressured by imaginary time constraints.

Sure is easy to sit here in this position and critique.

Anyone remember the qoalie days of Injured Cloutier, Auld, Raycroft, Sabourin, Sanford, Hedberg?

That's 10 years of a dry well. In spite of all that, GMMG finally gets us a franchise goaltender, heck, we get two. Wait a sec, If Lack does well, we have THREE. Count em OP, THREE. I see hope, tons of it. We have a goalie to trade IF we want. But wait, it gets better, WE DON'T HAVE TO TRADE EITHER OF THEM. We have cap space for both.

Yeah, it's been horrible. Just awful.

I could go on, but feel that most of us need a chill pill. It's not even free agency, truth be told, we aren't even allowed to talk to players till tomorrow. What on earth did you want MG to do? Trade all our picks for signing rights to players who don't want to come here? Come on guys.

Can't tell yet. The Luongo trade is big. And the AV extension....we'll see. Those 2 things may very well define him.

By subtraction of one of the goalies and because the prospect pool is relatively sparse, there's a chance VAN may be one of the few teams that will be stagnant or weaker than the previous year while others get better.

I say we go for Carle on D and Boyes to play RW, they both seem like very solid players to me. Carle can play on the right side, plus he puts up good points..

Boyes can play center (If necessary) until Kes returns. Although he struggled last season, it was because he was put on the 4th line constantly. He is a proven goal scorer, just needs a fresh environment and a chance to prove himself. I'm all for getting either of these players via FA, all players you've mentioned would have upside though. :P

MG is a mediocre GM. I've been saying this for like over 2 years and CDC didn't want to hear it, finally some are starting to open their eyes.

Most GM's dont want to deal with him cause he burnt so many bridges as a scumbag agent, (I guess only Dale talon likes dealing with him and he rapes MG everytime). He is poor at assessing talent as none of his draft picks have made an impact on the big club! He overpaid Malhotra, signed duds like Sturm, mancari, duco, bitz, weise, pinnizotto wtf? Signed Luongo to a big ass deal which is hurting the club now

Are these the "bold" moves he was talking about when he got hired? So far all we've seen are dumb moves. MG=Overrated

Archived