Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

There are good Gm's and Great Gm's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#31 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

if you win a cup you are Great if you don't your good - same applies to coaching as well. Gillis like every GM has done some good and done some not so good. Lu hasn't been traded yet because there is nothing to trade yet. He is not going to give Lu a way or be pressured by imaginary time constraints.

#32 tiredatwork

tiredatwork

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Sure is easy to sit here in this position and critique.

Anyone remember the qoalie days of Injured Cloutier, Auld, Raycroft, Sabourin, Sanford, Hedberg?

That's 10 years of a dry well. In spite of all that, GMMG finally gets us a franchise goaltender, heck, we get two. Wait a sec, If Lack does well, we have THREE. Count em OP, THREE. I see hope, tons of it. We have a goalie to trade IF we want. But wait, it gets better, WE DON'T HAVE TO TRADE EITHER OF THEM. We have cap space for both.

Yeah, it's been horrible. Just awful.

I could go on, but feel that most of us need a chill pill. It's not even free agency, truth be told, we aren't even allowed to talk to players till tomorrow. What on earth did you want MG to do? Trade all our picks for signing rights to players who don't want to come here? Come on guys.

typical mg crap. Nonis acquired lou anmd draftted schneider but its gillis who saved us from the cloutier days. typical smoke and mirrors garbage.

#33 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

Nonis acquired lou anmd draftted schneider but its gillis who saved us from the cloutier days. typical smoke and mirrors garbage.

Bingo.

It's somehow "Gillis' Team", even though he's acquired 1/6 players on our top 6, 1/4 on our top 4 D, and neither goalie.

Seems reasonable.

#34 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

Summer's out, kids making more dumb threads on CDC.

Posted Image

#35 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Summer's out, kids making more dumb threads on CDC.

And when kids make dumb comments, they just switch accounts. Right BunBun?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#36 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

And when kids make dumb comments, they just switch accounts. Right BunBun?

No idea what you're implying.

Posted Image

#37 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Can't tell yet. The Luongo trade is big. And the AV extension....we'll see. Those 2 things may very well define him.

By subtraction of one of the goalies and because the prospect pool is relatively sparse, there's a chance VAN may be one of the few teams that will be stagnant or weaker than the previous year while others get better.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#38 CanuckChuck

CanuckChuck

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

I say we go for Carle on D and Boyes to play RW, they both seem like very solid players to me. Carle can play on the right side, plus he puts up good points..

Boyes can play center (If necessary) until Kes returns. Although he struggled last season, it was because he was put on the 4th line constantly. He is a proven goal scorer, just needs a fresh environment and a chance to prove himself. I'm all for getting either of these players via FA, all players you've mentioned would have upside though. :P

I like the idea of getting Boyes for RW. Though his cap hit *was* $4-million (according to Cap Geek), and I don't think his production merits that over the past 2 seasons (8 G 15 A 23 P and +2 rating). I do feel though if the price is right he would make a good 3rd line RW, and like you say, possibly taking draws in place of Kes for the time being on the 2nd line.

I was gonna say, I'd rather take Gaustad over Carle, due to Gaustad's size (6'5 212 Ib's) compared to Carle (6'0 205 Ib's) as well as experience. I felt that he would've made an excellent 2nd D pairing, perhaps with Edler (who *can* play right side). Too bad he re-signed today with the Pred's. Looking at the UFA D's though, Carle does seem like a decent choice . Another one that stands out to me is Colaiacovo. He had a fairly good season last year (2 G 17 A 19 P with a +7), has decent size (6'1 200 Ib's) and logged roughly 19 minutes a game. In addition, his cap hit last year was $2.5 mil.

I think a Center who's under the radar for a lot of teams, but could come in handy is Jay McClement (played for the Av's last year). I think he could be a useful 3rd line center and helpful on the PK (He logged the most PK time for the Av's I believe). His face-off % was just over 50 % last year and logged 13-14 minutes a game. At 6'1 205 (10 G 7 A 17 P with a - 8) and a cap hit of $1.5 mil last year, I think he could fill the gap of Pahlson.

I'm looking forward to see if Connotion (sorry for the spelling) can manage to squeeze into the bottom D pairs for at least a couple games. His development has gone fairly well and he has a wicked shot and good size.

As for forwards, I think Jensen and Schroeder will be the top 2 bidding for a shot, especially at the beginning of the season where Kes will be unavailable.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what happens in the arbitration with Raymond to see if that lowers his salary and we can possibly trade him for a 3rd line center who can fill the gap on 2nd line during Kes's down time (preferrably a two-way decent scorer with some size, possibly speed) and a pick.

I'm also looking forward to having Salo back for at least another year. His passion for the game is a far-cry from a lot of other players out there and I feel he creates a sense of stability in the locker room as well, and still seems rock solid when he's healthy. And I hope that training camp can help Kassian round out a little bit more as well as improve his speed. I like his intensity and grit, but his feet need some catching up to do, in my opinion...

In conclusion, I noticed that Samuelson is a UFA this year. Sign him back? lol.. (joke)
Also, Aucoin... :P Could be useful for a bottom D pairing, though he logged quite a bit of minutes for the Coyotes last year.
Yay, Nay? What say you?

#39 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

MG is a mediocre GM. I've been saying this for like over 2 years and CDC didn't want to hear it, finally some are starting to open their eyes.

Most GM's dont want to deal with him cause he burnt so many bridges as a scumbag agent, (I guess only Dale talon likes dealing with him and he rapes MG everytime). He is poor at assessing talent as none of his draft picks have made an impact on the big club! He overpaid Malhotra, signed duds like Sturm, mancari, duco, bitz, weise, pinnizotto wtf? Signed Luongo to a big ass deal which is hurting the club now

Are these the "bold" moves he was talking about when he got hired? So far all we've seen are dumb moves. MG=Overrated

Edited by Super_Canuck, 30 June 2012 - 09:00 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.