The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Needs for tommorow and offseason, Playmakers, Depth and Defense

keslerforthecup

In terms of priority we need:

Top-4 defenceman > 2nd or 3rd line center > Depth defenceman > Playmaking winger > Backup goalie

1) Garrison / Matt Carle / Suter / Kubina

2) Jason Arnott / Langkow / Adam Burish / Hecht / Erik Christiensen

3) Brookbank / Jurcina / Bryan Allen / Vandemeer / Carkner

4) Whitney / Parenteau / Steve Sullivan / Semin

5) Hedberg

If everything goes to plan we get 1 or 2 of these needs and our lineup looks like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - Arnott - Hansen

Lapierre - Mahotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Salo - Allen

Luongo

Schneider

I dont see us getting any big names,just doesnt ever seem to happen.

So looking through the list I 2nd take this guys:

Mike Commodore D 6'4 227lbs RHS - Might be had cheap

Adam Burish F 6'1 189lbs RHS - Can fill in at center and can add some grit to the 3rd line. Most likely picked up by some one else.

I dont see us making any big name plays Sunday,just not in the cards.

Carle wouldnt work with Edler, both are Left handed shots. Can't split up Hamhuis/bieksa, Salo should be on the third pairing with Tanev. Apperently Garrison said it would be a "dream come true" if he signed with the Canucks, so IF he signed for a home town discount, we should. If we end up paying Garrison for more than 4.5 million i won't like it, since he has only had one good season. If not garrison, trade Loui for a LEGIT top-4 defencemen, as Allen is to slow.

One thing that is missing from a lot of these proposed lineups is...YOUTH.

Cup Winners always have some younguns who contribute, and then have their careers take off.

Boston had Seguin..

Chicago= kane toews etc

Anaheim= perry, getz

List goes on. Sure, we may not have that ELITE prospect, but we sure as hell have some solid young players that should be in ALL the lineups that have been posted.

IMO This is what the Canucks 2012-2013 lineup should look like WITHOUT Parise/Weber/Suter/Doan

Daniel Sedin- Henrik Sedin- Alexandre Burrows

David Booth- Ryan Kesler- Peter Mueller

Chris Higgins- Jordan Schroeder- Zack Kassian

Jannik Hansen- Maxim Lapierre- Manny Malhotra

Dan Hamhuis-Kevin Bieksa

Alex Edler-Jason Garrison

Chris Tanev- Keith Ballard

Sami Salo

C. Schneider

E. Lack

That would really solidify this team as a contender imo. Hansen in the 4th line...speaks volumes.

This is also without anything we get from a Luongo deal. Hopefully we land a Bjugstad or someone, who will develop for one more year, and then transition into this teams core for 13-14.

PS: To put us over the top, I believe this team needs Ryan Suter. That is all.

Ballard probably needs to go if we plan on getting Garrison, who'll likely get upwards of 4M+ per year.

Not sure if Salo wants to join to play Albert's role as the 7th D.

Not sure if Kassian can play a third line role, given how AV deploys his lines (i.e. mostly in the Defensive zone starts and against other team's top guys).

Mueller's injury is a big risk. Agree that he may be worth the gamble though.

If I'm Mike GIllis, this is what I'd want to accomplish this offseason:

Trade Luongo + Raymond to Florida for Marcel Goc, a cap dump (Scottie Upshall?) + 1st round pick / Alex Petrovic.

Sign Jason Garrison to a multi year deal.

Sign Shane Doan to a multi year deal.

Sign a veteran backup - don't care who - if Lack is not the answer to back up Schneider.

Roster after these moves:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Doan

Higgins - Goc - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Cap dump from FLA

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts

Schneider

Lack / UFA backup

A Luongo trade that looks like the one I suggested would be ideal because it would address some of the Canucks' main needs. It's not the best value for Luongo, but it looks like Gillis isn't getting full value for Luongo anyways so he might as well trade Luongo for pieces that would be useful.

Re: Luongo trade - As far as Goc is concerned, he is an excellent option as a 3rd line centre because he's signed for the next two seasons at a manageable $1.7M per year and he's got the underrated offensive ability Gillis and AV would want from their 3rd line centre, as the mantra in Vancouver is depth scoring. The cap dump would likely be a tweener like Scottie Upshall or Sean Bergenheim. Honestly, I don't think the cap hit of these guys would be the problem. The problem would be finding a space on the roster for whoever it is. Malhotra might have to be moved if he's willing to waive his NTC. Lastly, the 1st round pick or Alex Petrovic is to sweeten the deal.

Re: Garrison signing - The Canucks need a young-ish top 4 defenseman to complete their D core. They've got an established two way pairing in Hamhuis-Bieksa and a 3rd pairing that works in Ballard Tanev. That leaves the Canucks' best defenseman, Alex Edler, needing a partner. Enter Jason Garrison. I honestly don't care if he never touches 16 goals again. He's exactly what the Canucks need: a young, solid defensive defenseman who has size and good skating ability. I don't really care about the offense from him, it's the steady presence on the blueline I care about.

Re: Doan signing - This is a no brainer for Mike Gillis. Shane Doan is what is missing from the team's forward core. He's a veteran but he's still got enough in the tank to play an important role in the top 6 and obviously he's a scorer that should be good for 20+ goals and 50+ points alongside Ryan Kesler.. He's a leader - won the Messier Leadership award this year - and he's hungry for a Cup! Again, he screams the missing ingredient on a Cup aspiring team that's near complete.

Re: backup goalie signing - Eddie Lack will surely challenge for the backup spot but personally, if I'm Gillis I'd rather him get another season as a starter in the AHL under his belt. Plus, as promising as Schneider is and as likely as it is that he's primed for starting duties, he's still completely unproven as a starter. It may be prudent to acquire a veteran backup. Perhaps Gillis gets Theodore in a potential Luongo trade? If not, maybe a guy like Chris Mason would suffice. I like the idea of signing a guy who has proven he can carry the load for certain periods of time in case Schneider goes through a real rough patch or gets injured.

Sorry for the length of the post but I can't sleep and figured i'd get all my thoughts out there in detail. What do you guys think?

Ship Booth out (non passing solved permanently) and bring in Doan.

Drop Burrows down to play with Doan and Kesler

Get Perry to revitalise the twins and light up the first line.

Put Jensen with Higgins and Hansen on the 3rd. (this line could really pay off)

Volpatti Malhotra and Pinizzotto on the 4th.

Obtain Komisarek and Sbisa (a real tough guy who will take on anyone) for the defence.

Out Booth, Lapierre, Raymond, Edler, Alberts, Schroeder, Tanev, Lu/Schneider.

Sedin - Sedin - Perry

Doan - Kesler - Burrows

Jensen - Higgins - Hansen

Volpatti - Manny - Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Komisarek

Sbisa - Salo

Now we have serious size and 5 on 5 threat in attack and at last some help for the defence.

By the way, all those wanting Garrison..........where is his push back?

Make me your MG and I'll have it done by the end of the week :towel:

Doan - Doan - Whitney

Sedin - Sedin - Semin

Hodgson - Hodgson - Cody Hodgson, wah.

Komisarek - Stojanov - Jarg

Pinizzotto and Volpatti will fight to the death over a 5 year 7 million dollar contract

Perry - Crosby - Ovechkin

Martim Bromas

Joberto Theolongo

get some fancy shampoo to revitalize the Sedins

Hire me and I'll abolish CDC within a week

edit: jim sandlak

Doan - Doan - Whitney

Sedin - Sedin - Semin

Hodgson - Hodgson - Cody Hodgson, wah.

Komisarek - Stojanov - Jarg

Pinizzotto and Volpatti will fight to the death over a 5 year 7 million dollar contract

Perry - Crosby - Ovechkin

Martim Bromas

Joberto Theolongo

get some fancy shampoo to revitalize the Sedins

Hire me and I'll abolish CDC within a week

edit: jim sandlak

In terms of priority we need:

Top-4 defenceman > 2nd or 3rd line center > Depth defenceman > Playmaking winger > Backup goalie

1) Garrison / Matt Carle / Suter / Kubina

2) Jason Arnott / Langkow / Adam Burish / Hecht / Erik Christiensen

3) Brookbank / Jurcina / Bryan Allen / Vandemeer / Carkner

4) Whitney / Parenteau / Steve Sullivan / Semin

5) Hedberg

If everything goes to plan we get 1 or 2 of these needs and our lineup looks like this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - Arnott - Hansen

Lapierre - Mahotra - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Salo - Allen

Luongo

Schneider

Archived