The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Doan Will Not Sign Anywhere Until Atleast July 8th

I hate NO ONE. Therefore, I can not be racist.

I believe racial jokes are hilarious, because it is playing on differences between us.

By automatically taking offense to anything that identifies one race from another you actually perpetuate the divide between us all.

I think that if we could all just joke about ALL the differences we have without meaning or taking offense, then we'd be a lot closer to a world without racism.

A holocaust joke is racist. A joke about a cheap jew, if intended as a joke and without hate, is racial.

A slavery joke is racist. A joke about purple drink and fried chicken, if intended as a joke and without hate, is racial.

Get where I'm going?

I don't hate anyone, and racism means that hate is involved.

Now... insensitive... I might be.

note... this comment better not get me in trouble, because I don't think I crossed the line at all.

sub note... no hate!

Neither are Jews, but it's still "racist" to hate them.

Racism is now a much broader term. Really, there are only a handful of races.

did a little reading on the situation in Phoenix....

The lease that was agreed upon by the city of Glendale & the Jamieson group was upheld by the judge but the judge also agreed the taxpayers petition to be valid if the required 1900 (approx) signatures by valid sources is presented by Monday July 9th. Now there seems to be a flurry of activity as some argue the petiton has until the 16th to be registered.

If the required signatures are collected then there will be a ballot included in their, Glendale's, municipal elections in November.

Asking the taxpayers to agree with a 2.9% tax hike to pay for the lease management fee promised the Jamieson group.

Turns out the current mayor is not seeking re-election and all 5 candidates running for office in the November election have sign a request to the current city counsel not to go ahead with the lease agreement with the Jamieson group.

This year the city of Glendale was 5 million short on their payment to the NHL, losses were in excess of 40 million. Feeling by the candidates running for office is that Glendale will not have the funds to pay for all the promises in the lease. The NHL in the mean time has invested over 200 million in the team and is is somewhat of a pickle.

If the sale does not go ahead the NHL is on the hook for all of the losses as the deal with Glendale to cover some of the losses is over. If the NHL agrees to let the team relocate a measly 60 million in relocation fees will apply. If on the other hand they simply fold the team any new potential owners would be subject to a 200 million franchise fee. So lets say the NHL folds the Yotes and entertain two new franchise applications a whopping 400 million could be collected, 220 mill to cover the investment in the Yotes & the other 200 mill to be divvied up between current owners.

Folding the Yotes isn't an easy out though due to registered creditors that would sue in this event.

It's not that Doan knows something we don't, he simply can see the writing on the wall.

Taxpayers do not approve tax hikes to help multi-millionaires play a game they really don't care for.

Jamieson can't raise the money needed without the money promised by Glendale.

Collecting a mere 1900 signatures can't be difficult IMO....

This saga is closer to the end then I thought & Doan closer to signing with a new team as well.

While it seems that you have your head screwed on right - in that you don't have any actual hatred behind your words - you still say the same words that racists say. And are therefore indistinguishable from a racist when u say those words.

So be more aware of what strangers may think of you and how your actions are judged, cause nobody knows your intent.

Of course people are much too self-centered and sensitive an politically correct and narcissistic.

But: taken by themselves, if the words or joke would offend someone and pick on someone because of a race, language, creed, socio-economic status, political orientation or basically: something that differentiates that person - it is wrong. And it is wrong because there is no objective truth and all we have is relative meaning, so when u screw that meaning up by closing in your group against others it is counter-productive to the well being of society. Even if you are joking.

Lol I have a feeling I shouldn't have bothered?

The lease that was agreed upon by the city of Glendale & the Jamieson group was upheld by the judge but the judge also agreed the taxpayers petition to be valid if the required 1900 (approx) signatures by valid sources is presented by Monday July 9th. Now there seems to be a flurry of activity as some argue the petiton has until the 16th to be registered.

If the required signatures are collected then there will be a ballot included in their, Glendale's, municipal elections in November.

Asking the taxpayers to agree with a 2.9% tax hike to pay for the lease management fee promised the Jamieson group.

Turns out the current mayor is not seeking re-election and all 5 candidates running for office in the November election have sign a request to the current city counsel not to go ahead with the lease agreement with the Jamieson group.

This year the city of Glendale was 5 million short on their payment to the NHL, losses were in excess of 40 million. Feeling by the candidates running for office is that Glendale will not have the funds to pay for all the promises in the lease. The NHL in the mean time has invested over 200 million in the team and is is somewhat of a pickle.

If the sale does not go ahead the NHL is on the hook for all of the losses as the deal with Glendale to cover some of the losses is over. If the NHL agrees to let the team relocate a measly 60 million in relocation fees will apply. If on the other hand they simply fold the team any new potential owners would be subject to a 200 million franchise fee. So lets say the NHL folds the Yotes and entertain two new franchise applications a whopping 400 million could be collected, 220 mill to cover the investment in the Yotes & the other 200 mill to be divvied up between current owners.

Folding the Yotes isn't an easy out though due to registered creditors that would sue in this event.

It's not that Doan knows something we don't, he simply can see the writing on the wall.

Taxpayers do not approve tax hikes to help multi-millionaires play a game they really don't care for.

This saga is closer to the end then I thought & Doan closer to signing with a new team as well.

Yeah, of course that is the line that is walked.

This is actually somewhat on-topic, though, because this all started with a comment about Doan's french slur that some ref took offense to. I said something to the effect of,'Yeah, but who doesn't make fun of the french." If I remember right I was called a racist, or started defending someone who was called a racist.

I hate being called a racist by social vigilantes trying to rid the world of any open recognition of the differences between us, and by extension any fun that can ensue by joking about those differences.

I don't have any problem with Doan's french slur as long as it was on the ice. Like Kesler said,"On the ice, the only things off limit are kids and pets. Mothers and wives are fair game."

Doan's a player I'd love to see in a Canucks uni, but I have a sneaky suspicion that one of the usual supects will land him. I think a team like Detroit or Pittsburgh will simply back the truck up to pay him, especially after they all lost out on the big name FAs that have signed so far.

Guest Dasein

A return to the Peg must be on Shane's mind if he decides to leave Phoenix. But at 35, he has little left on his career and I hope he'd like to play for a contender in a Canadian market, which is us.

Also, it doesn't hurt that Doan hates the LA Kings and Dustin Brown, and that the Canucks probably have the best chance at dethroning the Kings next year in the playoffs from the Western Conference. If Doan wants his revenge, this is where he can get it. If Doan wants his Stanley Cup, this is where he has the best chance to get it in the Canadian market.

I hope there's enough incentive for Doan to bypass Winnepeg and come to Vancouver if he decides to leave Phoenix and come to a Canadian market.

Archived