The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks with lots of money to spend but who to buy.?

Sully2Cool

I can see Gillis taking a gamble on Mueller. He seems to like the projects, coming off injury type players in hope they can fulfil their potential.A RW for Kesler when he gets back. $2 million cap hit last contract but had injuries, needs to prove himself.

Wouldn't mind seeing Garrison here for the right cap hit. Bomb of a shot which would help our PP.

Ideally we sign Garrison for 4 million, a 3rd line center for 2-3 million, trade Ballard for picks and sign Suter for 6 million with a bit of wiggle room.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Raymond - McClement - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Bitz

Edler - Suter

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Salo

Luongo

Schneider

Cup winning defence right there and enough offensive depth to get us deep in the playoffs.

I don't want to be captain buzzkill but some of these proposals are just awful.

If Suter signs here, Edler is gone.

Garrison will need to sign a contract at or below the 4 million mark to get signed.

Tootoo is a player I like, I just don't know how he would like battling for a roster spot this year like he was last year in Nashville. I see him going to a team that has a legitimate use for him. He is a fourth-line right winger (those arguing that he should replace Volpatti clearly aren't paying enough attention to who plays which wing) and while I do like him, I am still curious as to the situation with Pinizotto. Is he healthy? Is he coming back? Is Kassian going to start on the second line or the fourth? Is Jensen NHL ready, and will that influence his placement? Too many questions surrounding that position to be answered pre-camp.

Mueller, while talented, has only played 100 games since September of '09. In my mind, his lack of durability (especially with how severe his most current concussion was) puts him at too great of risk to sign. We need durability for success in the playoffs. If all else fails (our prospects won't cut it) and he is healthy and available, then maybe. Truly a last resort type move though.

Ballard is more than likely going to be a Canuck for a while so just get used to putting him in your hypothetical line-ups.

The only real way for us to land a top-four, right-handed defenceman is via trade, something Gillis will take his time to complete (seems to be a few people on here that are thinking that teams are going to give up the goods for our scraps, that is how a Leafs fan thinks).

There really isn't much the current FA's can do for us except for a select few who happen to have some pretty big IF's attached to their names. I don't expect much in signings, it's the possible trades that have me curious.

The NHL needs mid level exceptions and trade exceptions like the NBA to help teams sign good players without having to worry about the cap. NBA free agency is more exciting right now. They need to find a way to help strong teams find an easier way to become an elite team like powerhouses in the past to give them the ability to sign the 2-3 more good players they need. Or else it's gonna be mediocre hockey also known as parity.

"Realistically, Brodeur, because of his playing style, may only work in New Jersey." What?

Anyhow, you can always count on Botchford for the half empty story.

Two healthy reliable centers....assuming he's excluding Manny Malhotra, and ironic that The Province would underestimate Schroeder after being the biggest drama-makers and over-raters of the rookie Hodgson.

Need two defensemen - if we don't consider Tanev, Alberts or Connauton possibilites - who are all improving - and on the UFA market, there are more viable defenseman available than any other position, while having as good a chance as anyone of signing Garrison for reasonable money. Missing out on Schultz could also turn out to be a blessing. Sign two guys and the Canucks once again have 8 or 9 guys who would be top 6 on almost any other team.

All that money to spend and really only three "needs", none terribly pressing - a third line center, a mid range right winger and a mid range blueliner - if either of the latter can be top 4 or top 6, all the better. Add the trade value of Luongo - lots of depth on the horizon.

I couldn't agree more with Pomorick on this, "Why even have prospects if you never audition them." Whatever positive things you can say about coach V the one thing he really sucks at is giving young guys a chance; can you say Michael Grabner?

Is this Schultz fellow really that much better than Tanev, Connauton, or Sauve? He did his time at the university level. As Bieksa's Fault pointed out, he's never played an NHL game.

Come on coach, let's actually develop some players!

I can't believe people want Garrison and would be OK with 5 million plus!

Not to rehash bad feelings but in what world does that make sense? It just makes Ehrhoff's 4 million cap hit look that much better and it makes you wonder how Gillis couldn't get that done!

I know many were hurt by Ehrhoff's comments when he signed in Buffalo but to lose such a good defenseman for such a good cap hit is crazy. Why couldn't everyone's golden boy get that done? Now people want him to replace Hoff with an inferior player for more cap hit than Ehrhoff? Insanity!

Biggest signing I see is Garrison.

Parise/Suter are definitely out of the question.

Wouldn't mind Whitney/Doan though.

Again, if Lou gets traded it could affect our line up quite a bit.

Truth is we need a big signing - especially on D. We have stars on the forward roster, but Sedins window blah blah blah. Need a star D. One of those ridiculous large contracts ...

Now is when we can get a player without subtracting in a trade ...

After all the whining about Luongo's contract, I also don't expect MG to go all out with the FA route. Why overpay and take a bad contract when you can be more selective via the trade route.

The reason for 'inconsistency' by Beiksa and Edler was because they were paired together. Unless you have a complete dman like Weber, you have to put a stay at home dman with either of those guys to hang back when those guys are up on the play in an offensive role. That is why the Beiksa/Hamhuis pairing has been so sucessful....Hamhuis plays his role very well.

I would be happy to see MG get a dman like that to pair with Edler today. At least then we would have a top 4 that is solid.

I just don't see MG being stupid enough to squander the payroll to get a Parise or Sutor. If he goes out and offers a bad contract, it will work its way through the whole team payroll and you will have even an average player wanting a huge raise when their contract is up.

If we are going to improve the team it will most likely be when Luongo is traded. Free agency will only provide depth.

Archived