The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

POPULAR

Alright everyone,

It is finally July 1st. The offseason is in full swing, and tomorrow could be a huge day for the franchise. Luongo, the goaltender to whom the organization initially comitted to for 12 long, fruitful years, may in fact be traded away only a couple of years into his contract.

The Canucks will be looking to acquire some help in the top 6 forwards, the top 4 defence, as well as some depth, if they wish to really get over the top, and win the Stanley Cup.

But this is also a huge test for the FANS of this city's team. I urge you all to hold back your negativity. Don't believe any rumours, don't bash General Manager Mike Gillis and Co. for any deals, until all is said and done. Hockey is a business, and it is extremely difficult to deal PLAYERS. These are human beings with families, who have to relocate across the continent.

There are friendships that will be severed, and emotions will be high. I just hope that through everything that we have faced over the last several years, we will come through as a fan-base, and we will be respectful. Lets just stand by this team, and see what happens.

Stay level headed, and stay golden CDC & Canucks Nation.

A New Era is upon us.

:towel:

Edited by The Architect, 01 July 2012 - 12:22 AM.

Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

I love the positivity.
But this is Vancouver. There is always somebody who will whine about something, especially when it comes to the Canucks.
Posted Image

#3 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

And so the games begin.

Posted ImagePosted Image

inb4 these guys are in 'Nucks jerseys this upcoming season. :bigblush:

Edited by hyZar, 01 July 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

What he said. ^

And I'll start the complaining.

MG better be able to get Garrison (atleast), and hopefully one other signifcant player (a forward), he always talks about "Bold Moves" it's time for him to show what he is made of.

And I am confident he can do it. :towel:

zackass.png

#5 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,276 posts

And so the games begin.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I'll take the one on the left

zackass.png

#6 Jagorim Jarg

Jagorim Jarg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

respectful and level headed?
trollface.

This is Vancouver, home of the smug and smarmy, arrogant a$$holes, belligerent and brainless brats.
edit: and to take the cake, Tony Gallagher.

Edited by Jagorim Jarg, 01 July 2012 - 12:33 AM.

#7 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

I don't see any big stars or lui being dealt. Maybe a Rome d replacement

#8 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

This thread will probably be locked, but thank you for attempting to inspire what's left of my humanity.

For the most part, myself and many of the people on these boards view the last names and the jerseys they wear, as per considering their feelings, I think the millions hockey players make will compensate.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#9 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

This message will only go to the minority of canucks fans on CDC.
So sorry to burst your bubble but this message will not get to all Canucks fans.

Edited by Tony Romo, 01 July 2012 - 12:34 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#10 Jagorim Jarg

Jagorim Jarg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

TLDR

#11 The Architect

The Architect

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

This message will only go to the minority of canucks fans on CDC.
So sorry to burst your bubble but this message will not get to all Canucks fans.

ya br0
you really burst my bubble
Sig too big.

THANK YOU P R O L I F I C for the incredible signature!

#12 Tiburon

Tiburon

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,406 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hold back negativity? Stay level headed?

You know this is CDC right?
Posted Image

#13 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,429 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

I hope we get pleasantly surprised by our prospects and our prospect pool turns out some gems.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#14 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:46 AM

Unfortunately, this will never happen.
CDC is way too incompetent and could never keep simplicity in the picture.
Regardless, I can't wait to see how today turns out! My mind is ready to be blown.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#15 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

What he said. ^

And I'll start the complaining.

MG better be able to get Garrison (atleast), and hopefully one other signifcant player (a forward), he always talks about "Bold Moves" it's time for him to show what he is made of.

And I am confident he can do it. :towel:

It's far easier to say "Bold Moves" than it is to pull them off. Many UFA's already know where they would like to go while others will go for the biggest dollar deal. Contrary to CDC's popular belief, not everybody wants to come to Vancouver, Nor is everybody willing to sign at a discount. Hopefully MG carries on with sensible signings.
Posted Image

#16 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,276 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

It's far easier to say "Bold Moves" than it is to pull them off. Many UFA's already know where they would like to go while others will go for the biggest dollar deal. Contrary to CDC's popular belief, not everybody wants to come to Vancouver, Nor is everybody willing to sign at a discount. Hopefully MG carries on with sensible signings.

Ya but he doesn't make a big push to get players and he isn't agressive in acquiring players.

The only time has has been was when he signed Manny and gave him too much money + a NTC, and I guess that worked out well now that he is pretty much on the 4th line.

And the Ballard trade (which I was okay with), Getting him wasn't bad it's just disapointing that he found his way to AV's dog house right away and now AV really (imo) ruined him in this market.

He won't make bold moves and he won't push, I don't mind overpaying (In Free agency) for players as long as they are good player, I would be fine if he overpayed to get Doan, or Garrison or Carle or a big name guy, but I dont want him to do it for a 3rd or 4th line guy.

zackass.png

#17 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

Yeah that sounds likely, also I want to urge everyone to drink responsibly tomorrow and not at all to excess. LOL.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#18 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,152 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

I thought I was reading the 'Before Game 7 Riot' speech.

Oh,wait,the city was trashed.

The game is big,big business and this is Gillis' pivotal year.

Gillis.org better have their ducks in a row because they lost the biggest free agent that wanted to play here,already.

Edited by nuck nit, 01 July 2012 - 01:24 AM.

#19 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

Part of the trouble is we are looking less and less like the type of team that ACTUALLY goes all the way.

I think there is more than one factor for this, including injuries and size. However we are starting to fail as a team unit in my opinion which was part of our strength.

We seemed to get it into our heads that we had 12 first/second liners and we could permeate them all over the place. Similarly the musical chairs played with the defence. It was crap and unsettled us.

We started to pick and choose where we felt we needed to win and that is not what creates a winning mentality. If that is a tactic it should be a means of resting players and bringing on prospects..........but that's not how we played it. We went out and fanny-ed about until the other team finally scored.........then we tried to put in an effort.

We don't have a team that can impose physically and our first and second lines were too erratic with too little coming from the 3rd and 4th lines..................Meanwhile AV and his coaches went into jackanory mode with the defence.

So NO, Hansen is nowhere near the answer and YES, we need some big moves. And we need to play some proper studied rotation and rest through the season to make sure we arrive fit and ready for the SC.

One more thing, I am not a fan of allowing the core to run the direction, tactics or anything else in the team and if that IS indeed how AV is coaching, then what are we paying him for? I have supported AV throughout but I think the time has come, assuming MG gives him some of the missing pieces, that he starts coming up with some joined up tactics and strategies in order to create a dominating type of team, mind set.
Kevin.jpg

#20 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

Ya but he doesn't make a big push to get players and he isn't agressive in acquiring players.

The only time has has been was when he signed Manny and gave him too much money + a NTC, and I guess that worked out well now that he is pretty much on the 4th line.

And the Ballard trade (which I was okay with), Getting him wasn't bad it's just disapointing that he found his way to AV's dog house right away and now AV really (imo) ruined him in this market.

He won't make bold moves and he won't push, I don't mind overpaying (In Free agency) for players as long as they are good player, I would be fine if he overpayed to get Doan, or Garrison or Carle or a big name guy, but I dont want him to do it for a 3rd or 4th line guy.

Totally agree. It is not overpaying if it takes us to the next level. If that is what it takes to get the size and quality that will make a difference then there is no point in standing pat, saying "he's overpriced" and watching another season drain away............you have to buy the lottery ticket.............

Gillis has a bit of a crusader complex and combines it with a mother Teresa complex.............all very admirable...........but doesn't always get you what you deserve. We need to stop looking for bargains, stop trying to give players a chance to rehabilitate their careers here, stop trying to discover hidden gems and just occasionally abandon e-bay to shop at Dunhills.

This market needs a gee up! It will not be sufficient to just bring in one top player we need to bring in 3 imo. Gillis himself says the cap is not a problem.............so it's now showtime Mike show us what you've got under the hood...........and no more "future projects" or "bargain basement rolls of the dice"

Edited by Bodee, 01 July 2012 - 02:50 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#21 Jagorim Jarg

Jagorim Jarg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:48 AM

Totally agree. It is not overpaying if it takes us to the next level. If that is what it takes to get the size and quality that will make a difference then there is no point in standing pat, saying "he's overpriced" and watching another season drain away............you have to buy the lottery ticket.............

Gillis has a bit of a crusader complex and combines it with a mother Teresa complex.............all very admirable...........but doesn't always get you what you deserve. We need to stop looking for bargains, stop trying to give players a chance to rehabilitate their careers here, stop trying to discover hidden gems and just occasionally abandon e-bay to shop at Dunhills.

This market needs a gee up! It will not be sufficient to just bring in one top player we need to bring in 3 imo. Gillis himself says the cap is not a problem.............so it's now showtime Mike show us what you've got under the hood...........and no more "future projects" or "bargain basement rolls of the dice"

Didn't you just finish telling people they were loopy for wanting a free agent signing in that other thread, then in another you asked for doan and santa claus and some other character, and then plugged Pinizzottooto in your lineup, then asked for a GM job?

3 players is simply not enough! We need to replace the whole team! No less than 8 free agent signings will be sufficient!

Edited by Jagorim Jarg, 01 July 2012 - 03:56 AM.

#22 Jagorim Jarg

Jagorim Jarg

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:55 AM

Success in this league has nothing to do with how a team looks on paper. Nothing. Look at teams that win the SC, first thing you need to realize is only 1 team can win it, that means 15 others won't. That does not mean 15 other teams are not good teams. It does not mean those teams should throw the baby and the bath out the window on stupid and impulsive moves. Canucks, as much as I hate to repeat, were 1 game from winning the cup in 2011. The 8th place Kings just won it. They didn't 'look like a team that would go all the way' nor does that illusion mean squat. Stop it for god's sake let them do their jobs and shut up.

One good play can make the difference between success and failure. One bad play can make the difference between cup or no cup. To make these kinds of moves when the success is based on such trivial happenstances such as timing more often than anything else is ludicrous. If you got lucky and found 5$ on the ground on monday would you then expect to find 5$ on the ground every day? If a plane crash happens and the cause is determined to be a bird strike, and the bird ate food from grandma's bird feeder, is grandma responsible for 200 deaths? Are you going to attribute our team among 14 others to be knocked out, should make drastic moves based on sharing the same fate with all but 1 team? You do realize those other teams are also feeling insecure and the net gain made by anyone on average, given ALL TEAMS are panicking on July 1, is going to be 0 right..?

Edited by Jagorim Jarg, 01 July 2012 - 04:02 AM.

#23 schneider

schneider

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:59 AM

Personally, i don't think anyone should be able to say something like "PLAYERS ARE PEOPLE WITH FAMILIES, AND WHEN U TRADE THEM THEY CRY" etc

who cares? this is the life they chose, and they're making millions of dollars a year. they can deal with being traded, making that kind of money.

#24 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

The veteran fans of 25 plus years do not need to have a message to know how to react to Canuck events (signings, trades). It's the generation now fans that have jumped on board while the team has been successful that needs to learn how to support and react. A lot of generation now fans have no idea what it's like for us to have to go on a 17-5-2 run after Christmas to make the play-offs, they take play-offs for granted. It's easy to be a fan when the team is winning, a true fan is there when they are losing. My union card has 30 years on it with no sign of retiring it.

I actually expect more moves coming through trades in the off season then fee agents signings. A , P-A Parenteau, Jamie Lagenbrunner and maybe a d-man for a reasonable price might fit well with our club.

#25 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:26 AM

Didn't you just finish telling people they were loopy for wanting a free agent signing in that other thread, then in another you asked for doan and santa claus and some other character, and then plugged Pinizzottooto in your lineup, then asked for a GM job?

3 players is simply not enough! We need to replace the whole team! No less than 8 free agent signings will be sufficient!

It was "a" free agent signing, it was Schultz in particular. There is nothing wrong with Free Agency if it addresses the problems we have.
What's your point apart from your demonstration of lack of comprehension and ambition with a touch of a lack of sense of humour (the GM remark was tongue in cheek, was that a step too far for you?)

All this stuff is just a bit of fun or haven't you realised that? Nobody at Canucks Central gives a plug for what any of us say. Get over yourself.

"1 team can win it, that means 15 others won't."
Don't you mean 29? After all I take it everyone starts off wanting to win the SC. :)

"Canucks, as much as I hate to repeat, were 1 game from winning the cup in 2011."
And were pulverised in the process.

"They didn't 'look like a team that would go all the way"
Maybe not to you..........but I pointed out how they were making a big effort.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:19 PM
On a wintry afternoon here in Scotland I thought I would assess what we and the other teams around us have done in the layoff and during the season so far...........and it looks a wee bit worrying.

Only the Preds and the Wings seem to have done as little as we have but even the wings brought in two big D's in Commodore and Brunnstrom.

The Wild have brought some forward size in with Heatly, Powe and Setoguchi.

Oilers have upped their poundage with Barker, Eager, Hordi, Petrel, Potter, Sutton and Teubert to go with Ryan Smith and their magical kid line.

LA have brought in size and quality with Penner, Hunter, Gagne and Richards.

"One good play can make the difference between success and failure. One bad play can make the difference between cup or no cup. To make these kinds of moves when the success is based on such trivial happenstances such as timing more often than anything else is ludicrous"

I'm not disagreeing with you on this..............if as long as we think we have what we need in place. You do.........I used to think it and now I have changed my mind and I don't. I think we lack size, variation and quality. Our 5 on 5 is not good enough. Our D is ok offensively (and they have had to be) but not up to it defensively.

With respect, your analogies suck and in the final analysis we don't have to gut the team but we need to address the issues we have. Your attitude will have us sitting here in 5-10 years time still saying we were one unlucky break away from the SC yet again.

Never was a truer word uttered and it is particularly appropriate to the SC
"You have to FIGHT for the right to impose your game on the opposition" The Kings did it, Boston did it, and despite getting to game 7 we did not do it at any time in that series and because we did not address it we were bundled out this year too.

Edited by Bodee, 01 July 2012 - 05:54 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#26 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:06 AM

It's to bad we cannot trade away some of our local media too, ship out Botchford and Gallagher for one sixth round pick!!

#27 Lidstrom

Lidstrom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Its useless, CDC will implode if we don't sign Parise, Suter, or Garrison (which is very likely, at least I hope so)

Anyone that criticizes the organization, especially the first few days of UFA, needs to be ignored. There is a reason the off-season is 3 months in length. Ample time for teams to make any changes deemed necessary.

It takes time to get assets at the right price. It would be a poor business plan to overpay players long-term based on limited data.

That being said, I have absolute faith in MG. He has not grossly overpaid any player on our team that will cripple us in the near future (Don't say Luongo, he is a bargain for his skill set)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:36 AM

Come on Marco Sturm.
Posted Image

#29 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,417 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

Okay, so what remaining local boy will actually follow through and sign here?

Our 'golden age' depends on it.
Posted Image

#30 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,194 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

I love the positivity.
But this is Vancouver. There is always somebody who will whine about something, especially when it comes to the Canucks.

Like you are now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.