47 replies to this topic

#1 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:08 AM

With all the hype surrounding this year's first-overall pick, and with some comparisons being made to Alexander Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, and even Pavel Bure, it's very difficult not to be excited about Nail Yakupov's first year in the National Hockey League. Nail's combination of incredible speed, agility, and acceleration, as well as his tremendous release and dynamic skill set, are going to allow him a great opportunity to compete for this year's Calder Trophy and perhaps be a star in the near future.

This week, Edmontonians had their first opportunity to see Nail at the Oilers' development camp. The group went through numerous drills, including numerous skating and shooting drills. I wanted to share this with everyone here so that we can get a better sense of what to expect from the kid who idolized Pavel Bure as a child. The Oilers begin their season this year in Vancouver on October 13 -- who knows what we'll see from Nail Yakupov on opening night.

He wears #64 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgywGYPYvus&feature=plcp

Edited by WeatherWise, 01 July 2012 - 03:11 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#2 SAnuck

SAnuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Couldn't really tell a whole heap from that. I'm sure he isn't but it looked like in a few of those drills he wasn't even being serious. Hes gonna be a fantastic player though no doubt. Great speed!

#3 BabychStache

BabychStache

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Edmonton is really starting to piss me off.

It's all jealousy of course, I'll admit it.
Posted Image
Credit to Goaltenderinterference for the awesome Sig!

#4 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Wow kid is extremely impressive! I'm Jelly of Edmonton

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

One thing you can take away from those clips is how fast he can skate while stick handling. There were times when he would start at the same time as another player and he'd finish WELL before the other kid.

#6 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Wow explosive.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#7 protectyaneck

protectyaneck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Edmonton is going to be a force if they can hold onto their core.

#8 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

They are rubbing it in too, by posting this garbage into a Canucks forum. Is this footage also being shown in AVs, Minnesota and Calgary site? If not, I'll be pissed.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

If it makes anyone feel better remember that most Oilers fans have to live in Edmonton.
Makes me feel better everytime.
Posted Image

#10 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

They are rubbing it in too, by posting this garbage into a Canucks forum. Is this footage also being shown in AVs, Minnesota and Calgary site? If not, I'll be pissed.

1. CDC is the only active site out of the four
2. How is this garbage? It was interesting to see how great a player Yakupov is
3. I wouldn't really call it rubbing it in as the only reason they have him is because they sucked

Wow I can't believe what a great skater Yakupov is, he sure is explosive and fast.
Can't wait to see what he can do in his debut against us (Maybe score a hat trick like RNH? :P)

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#11 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

With the cap going up every year they will be able to keep them all for sure.

#12 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,238 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Bust!

Bure would have scored on all of those chances. :bigblush:

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#13 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Bust!

Bure would have scored on all of those chances. :bigblush:

Hodgson would have done better.
Posted Image

#14 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Edmonton is going to be a force if they can hold onto their core.

i have a feeling hall or nuge will be the odd men out. consider trading them for D down the line.

yakupov will be their malkin. i made a point of going to sarnia for a few games this year to see him and galchenyuk, i've seen this guy play enough to be comfortable saying that. he'll score 30+ this year.

Edited by Legend Killer, 02 July 2012 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#15 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,848 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:57 AM

i have a feeling hall or nuge will be the odd men out. consider trading them for D down the line.

yakupov will be their malkin. i made a point of going to sarnia for a few games this year to see him and galchenyuk, i've seen this guy play enough to be comfortable saying that. he'll score 30+ this year.

No way he'll be their Malkin. Malkin plays a big mans game, he's a power center.

Maybe a Bure lite.
Posted Image

#16 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

No way he'll be their Malkin. Malkin plays a big mans game, he's a power center.

Maybe a Bure lite.

bure might be a better comparison.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#17 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

I went to the Oilers development camp today. It was the final day so they had a 4 on 4 game. Yakupov put on a bit of a show. 3 goals and an assist(and he could have had more). There's some footage on TSN.

http://watch.tsn.ca/...3322#clip713322

Edited by Greene02, 02 July 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#18 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

This kid is going to be the best out of all their 1st round picks imo.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#19 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

This kid is going to be the best out of all their 1st round picks imo.

I'm finally starting to get pretty optimistic about the Oilers future. I mean Hall, Eberle, RNH and Yakupov up front. Eberle just had a 35 goal/75 point season at 21 years old and there is a very good chance that he'll be the worst of the four.

On the back end the Oilers just sign Schultz and he's not even the team's best defensive prospect. 5 scouts were asked at the draft who they would rather have between Oscar Klefbom and Ryan Murray...and four of the scouts said Klefbom. He was drafted 19th overall in 2011 but he's only 2 months older than Murray. Who knows what another random 5 scouts would say but that's definitely interesting that Klefbom is looked at so highly. He was the best player on the ice today at the development camp.

#20 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:33 PM

look at how he dekes those guys its almost like there inanimate objects
Posted Image

#21 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

So he is the best of the Oiler's prospect and skating circles around them ... should that surprise anyone? I mean, he was #1 pick which means the best of all eligible drafts of this year. Seriously, who was in goal?

#22 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

So he is the best of the Oiler's prospect and skating circles around them ... should that surprise anyone? I mean, he was #1 pick which means the best of all eligible drafts of this year. Seriously, who was in goal?

Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi or RNH didn't exactly turn heads like Yakupov has at development camp.

Yakupov is also one of the youngest guys out there. A lot of those players have been playing in the AHL, SEL and ECHL. He had 3 goals and an assist in a 45 minute game where he probably had 10 shifts. I'm not saying you need to be blown away but it's definitely impressive.

#23 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

I don't think anybody is trying to rub it in. The NHL has a new, exciting player with elite skills and great potential. Regardless of where he plays, it's difficult not to be excited. He has a terrific, animated personality, and he seems like he can be a star.

In fact, Oilers fans have already said they feel he may be the most offensively-gifted player on the team. I believe this to be true, as well. He looks like a phenomenal talent.

Here's another video of him doing other drills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pApZvCZzmMo

In today's final intrasquad match, he scored three goals and once again demonstrated his elite shot. After the game, this was his quote:

"It's for the fans, and for fun. It's hockey life, and you've got to be smiling sometimes too."

"For the fans."

We've heard that from a certain someone before (hint: Pavel). Nail's debut at Rogers Arena is going to be a quite a thrill to watch. Maybe he'll score, and maybe he'll try an end-to-end rush a la Pavel. It will be a fun game, that's for sure.

Edited by WeatherWise, 02 July 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#24 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

Nail Yakupov is such a funny and cool guy, I think he might become the face of the NHL in the future.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

He's certainly a very different character than some of the comparables, despite the energy and liveliness. He seems like a very level-headed, mature kid with a hard work ethic and a terrific personality. He can act silly to keep practice fun, and he can become very serious and competitive when it matters. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. Furthermore, every time I hear him it seems his English improves substantially.

Here's an interview with him from earlier today:

http://video.oilers....om/videocenter/

Every time he talks about the fans, it seems he thanks them. He thanked Steve Tambellini at the draft while being interviewed by James Duthie. A few days ago, he thanked the fans for attending the teams' development camp.

Edited by WeatherWise, 02 July 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#26 Kola Nuts

Kola Nuts

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

EDM has a bright future

Posted Image

#27 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:18 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Greene02

Greene02

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hall is the future captain and RNH is the #1 center. There is no way one of them will be one of the odd men out. Also, why would you trade one of your best players for help on D? Who could the Oilers realistically get where they could trade a former 1st overall selection and win the trade? Plus the Oilers have Yakupov, Eberle and Hemsky for right wingers. If any of the very good young players were to be traded, it would probably Eberle.

But it will likely be players like Gagner, Paajarvi or Hemsky that would be traded.

It should be noted that a lot of GM's and scouts don't feel that the Oilers defense will be weak for long. Justin Schultz is obviously a nice boost but he's not even the Oilers best prosect. He's just the most NHL ready. Like I mentioned earlier, 4 of 5 scouts asked said they think Klefbom will be a better player than Ryan Murray and the Oilers also have Martin Marincin. A 6'5 Slovak that was a 2nd round pick in 2010. He's been close to a PPG in the WHL the last couple of years. He's famous for getting suspended at the WJC after that very dirty(and uncharacteristic) elbow to that American player. Plus there is Jeff Petry. He was playing 25+ minutes a night for the final 30 games last season.

#29 HavocSpree

HavocSpree

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Too bad they won't be able to keep all of their star players :emot-parrot:

Posted Image

credit to marinated.pea for the sick sig

#30 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well he is very good at skating around pylons and scoring on an empty net, so he'll do well against the Leafs at least
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.