The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best metal albums of 2012

uber_pwnzor

Hey,

Let's review the metal albums of 2012 here.

Edit:

I do NOT give a sh*t if you don't like metal.

I do NOT care if you don't think it's music.

I could honestly NOT care less if you don't understand metal.

Please do NOT come here and say that you don't like, understand, listen or care about metal. WE DON'T CARE.

It's like if somebody came to the "Canucks Talk-forum" and said that they hated hockey.

This isn't a thread where you're supposed to discuss if metal is music. Or if you like growl/screems. It's a thread about metal albums made in 2012. Doesn't really matter if it's glam, death, math or 70's metal.

These are mine:

Soulfly - Enslaved

Desn't sound like Soulfly; too fast, too modern, not as primitive as the other Soulfly albums. If Cavalera had released it from a band that wasn't Soulfly I think I would have liked it. Also, seeing them live with the current line up is the most intense thing you'll ever do! "Gladiator" is (to me) the best song Cavalera has written since "Roots, Bloody Roots"

Lamb of God - Resolution

Pretty good, not at all as good as Ashes of the Wake or Sacrament, but there are some good songs, "Desolution" is great, "King Me" is super epic, "Ghost Walking" is cool, but the other songs are mediocre.

Meshuggah - Koloss

This album was really good, "Break These Bones Whose Sinews Gave it Motion" is super good, "Swarm" is awesome as well.

Miss May I - At Heart

Mediocre. Not at all as good as Monument or Apologies are for the Weak. "Hey Mister" is by far the best song, and it's not all that good.

Caliban - I am Nemesis

Their best album to date. Classic metalcore; "We are the Many" and "Memorial" are really, really good metalcore songs, and the breakdown of "Memorial" is EPIC!

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

Pretty good, very progressive, very heavy.

Yeah, the vocal style completely invalidates the fantastic songwriting ability and technical musicianship of many bands employing harsh vocals. Totally not music.

Anyways, here are some of my favourites from the year so far with a song from each:

Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycUh_Fjlaj8

In Mourning - The Weight of Oceans

Alcest - Les Voyages de L'Ame

God Forbid - Equllibrium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIYWDaC-l0

Swallow the Sun - Emerald Forest and the Blackbird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QukgqB9f38

Before the Dawn - Rise of the Phoenix

Be'lakor - Of Breath and Bone

Don't really have anything to contribute to the thread as I've only really listened to Pantera, and the first 4 albums of Metallica as far as metal goes.

But to whoever the dude who says metal isn't music...

Some of the most talented musicians are in metal bands. It isn't an easy genre to play. Putting together broken sounds on a computer, and cranking bass every so often isn't music. It's broken electronics freaking out.

I know djs.

It isn't difficult to dj, it's a joke. The guy tells me his dj kit thing does most of the work, the timing's all provided, etc, etc. It's CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP, and people that listen to techno/electronic don't appreciate music, they just need something to move to while they're high as f**k.

Learning how to play an instrument, then getting the timing down on 3-5 people is music.

dummmm BEEEZUUUUUUUU baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahm WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH DUH DUH DUH BAAAAYAAAAAMM CHEEEUUHHHH WUMP WUMP WUMP.

Terrible.

oh.

and here's my contribution

not 2012, but still kicks ass.

This.

It's like standing in a slaughterhouse that is too close to the railroad tracks.

Contrary to popular belief, there is more options than just Dubstep and Metal when considering music.

And thank god there is because they are both awful.

"A Different Kind Of Truth" by Van Halen is an awesome album. I am a "Child of the '80's", though, so many people wouldn't consider this "metal".

Saw the band perform in Edmonton on May 11 and, aside from Dave's vox being a little rough (they always have been!), they played better than ever.

The new Korn, "The Path Of Totality", is pretty good, too. Saw them in Dawson Creek on Friday night. Put on a good show.

:towel::canucks:

Archived