The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best metal albums of 2012

uber_pwnzor

This is just a question stemming out of innocent curiosity --- When would you listen to something like that?

Like its not pump up music (maybe it is?), it isn't not relaxing, its not something you can throw on in the background, it's not something you could dance to (is it?), I just don't know what situation somebody would decide "Hey, I'll throw on some Lamb of God"?

Also curious as to what the allure is, like what about it do you enjoy?

Here are my cuts. Will check out others posted too:

Slice the Cake - The Man With No Face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2JPNDKI0as

Veil of Maya - Eclipse

Nile - At the Gate of Sethu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6SZTiha8bwn

Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJJ1RXzzkkA

Hour of Penance - Sedition

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTLWMy8U9Cc

and the hidden gem...

Ascariasis - Ocean of Colour

Never understand how people could like Death Metal, Screamo, etc...

All that screaming crap is not music.

This is just a question stemming out of innocent curiosity --- When would you listen to something like that?

Like its not pump up music (maybe it is?), it isn't not relaxing, its not something you can throw on in the background, it's not something you could dance to (is it?), I just don't know what situation somebody would decide "Hey, I'll throw on some Lamb of God"?

It's hard to explain. You either get it or you don't. If you don't get it, it's hard to understand. I listen to lots of things non-metal but metal is my jam. I get more rhythm and good vibes from death metal than anything else. I'll listen to Radiohead if I'm in a cafe studying, I'll listen to death metal in any other situation. Happy, sad, riled up, whatever.

Yeah, I don't understand.

I can pretty much find a song from every single type of music that I enjoy, but for stuff like that (and really hard dubstep) I can't even bring myself to listen to more than a few seconds.

It's hard to explain. You either get it or you don't. If you don't get it, it's hard to understand. I listen to lots of things non-metal but metal is my jam. I get more rhythm and good vibes from death metal than anything else. I'll listen to Radiohead if I'm in a cafe studying, I'll listen to death metal in any other situation. Happy, sad, riled up, whatever.

I love a lot of the music in lots of the heavier "genres" of metal, but, I too have a difficult time with the "vocals".

Black Sabbath was singing about "...Death and hatred to mankind..." in "War Pigs" in 1970! We're still here, though!

While I consider myself a metal fan I'm an old school metal head....got into it back in the early 80's Black Sabbath Ozzy Metallica Slayer megadeth Iron Maiden fates warning ect ect.... I like Lamb of god and some other newer metal bands but most of these vids posted I'm not a fan of that type of metal I like to be able to understand what they are singing not just the grunting roar stuff and a million mile an hour drumming... oh well metal has so many branches on the tree for all to enjoy or not...

Black Sabbath is a great band for sure.

I wouldn't classify them a Death Metal group though. They are more of just a traditional heavy metal group.

Death Metal is mostly the grunting/screaming and heavy guitar riffs.

Totally, Buggernut. Black Sabbath was a misunderstood band for a long time. Lots of the references Sabbath made to Satan, death, war, witchcraft, etc., were taken totally out of context. As the boys in the band said, it sure got them a lot of attention!

Oh ya forgot we couldn't share our opinions! <_<

I don't mind metal bands such as Clutch, Van Halen or Metallica but I don't like this crap:

How can someone enjoy that? Its just a man screaming with no words?

It makes most mainstream music like Pit Bull enjoyable and that's saying a lot.

I can't stand bands trying to be super heavy. For me, it's about great songwriting, technical skill, and the emotions underlying the music. Harsh vocals are a different instrument, so to speak, than cleans, and they convey different emotions and play off the rest of the band differently than other vocal styles. I understand that they're an acquired taste and that not everyone is going to like them, but it really bugs me when people completely dismiss the legitimacy of entire styles of music, just because it's not their thing.

Best imo is Gojira's L'enfant Sauvage. I've been waiting for like a year to get this album and everywhere is sold out so I have yet to get my hands on a hard copy.Shoulda preordered ffs.

Some of the other great ones though are High on Fire's "De Vermis Mysteriis" and Goatwhore's "Blood for the Master". I have yet to listen to 3 Inches of Blood's "Long Live Heavy Metal" but I'm sure it's sweet too.

And Om has a new album? That's awesome lol.

Edit: And btw I have Lamb of God's new album, but I honestly didn't think it was as good as their last couple. Desolation and Ghost Walking were pretty good but the rest seemed kind of... meh.

Also...

1341348764_1605_Aw2GDkMCIAAFUIQ.jpg

I find there's few bands in today's metal scene that can do a mix of growls/grunts and clean vocals successfully. Protest the Hero has gone completely clean vocals and they're sick as hell, they play their own music like no one else and Rody (the vocalist) is immensely talented. Not many other bands, I can say that.

It's my taste to prefer metal with no cleans, but only have I heard Protest the Hero, Ever Forthright and a couple other bands who can successfully blend the two without it sounding cheesy or out of place.

Archived