The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo being a FA makes me sad......

ILL BILL NECRO

Sad to see Sami go to Tampa. I was expecting him to re-sign for another year or retire. I was not expecting him to walk as a free agent.

In Tampa he gets warmer weather, a much easier travel schedule, more money, and a longer term contract. Not a bad place to end your career. A healthy Salo is easily worth $4+ million per year. The fact that we've been getting him at a discount just kind of makes this sting even more.

I understand if we let him go because MG wants to move in a different direction but l don't see why we couldn't have offered him more money or a longer term. I hope MG has something up his sleeve and I hope it's BIG. Sami was the glue that held our D-core together. Last season we could afford to let Ehrhoff walk, I don't know if we have that luxury this off-season unless we can sign a big-name top-4 guy (and I'm talking Weber quality) because right now we have some serious holes in our D on the right side that need filling and I don't know that we have anyone in our system capable of stepping up in that position. Tanev is on his way, but he is not an offensive guy. Rome and Alberts are solid depth guys but aren't full-time players and Gragnani is far from being defensively responsible enough to hold a top-4 spot.

Right now the teams in this league are hurting BAD for defenseman, even more so for top-4 D-men. I don't understand why any team would even chance letting a single D-man go, especially one as valuable to our team as Salo was. I'm starting to get a little worried. I sure hope MG has a card he isn't showing us.

Best of luck Sami, we'll miss you buddy!

Archived