The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Canucks interested in SEMIN

Women are more violent than men, and if youre going to fight like a woman then you should wear a P on your chest. Just to alert the men on the ice that objects may be hurled at you and your face may be scratched. Fair ?

Can't believe the way some of you guys are responding to the thought of signing Semin :picard:

He has redeeming qualties that can easily benefit this team, He can provide that secondary scoring and he can be a game breaker. And contrary to popular belief, Semin is actually good defensively and if you watched him in the Boston and Rangers series he was one of the better defensive forwards and he actually went down to block shots. People look at his Montreal series and note he had something like 2 points in 7 games but fail to note that he had 44 shots on net. He was snake bitten to say the least. If Semin plays behind the twins and with Kesler, this team can easily challenge for the cup. We got stronger with Garrison (6'2 and 220 pounds), a more mature Kassian, a healthy Volpatti and Booth fully adapted to our system, If people rip on Semin for being a softy, the Sedin's should get ripped on as well (not to the degree Semin is, but you get the idea). I know many of us also want Doan or someone (he'd be perfect) but the risk is waiting until the 9th to see what happens with the Phoenix situation.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows.

Semin - Kesler - Higgins

Booth - Schroeder - Kassian

Volpatti/Malholtra - Lapierre - Hansen

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Luongo (until traded)

That right there is a cup contending team, hands down.

We have 5.922M in cap space after the Garrison signing.

If we ship Schneider, Booth, and Ballard (plus assets) to Columbus for Nash then that's a difference of -4.65M. So we'd then have 5.922M + 4.65M = 10.572M in cap space for Semin (or even Parise). A 1 year, 8.5M dollar deal should be sufficient, as we still need to give raises to Burrows and Edler as well as make a pitch for Weber next summer.

All in the realm of possibility, my friend. Plausibiity? Now that's a whole 'nother story.

wooow calm down with your maths lol. i can barely see us signing a top 6 guy for once, so adding Nash at 7.8 is just.. well maaaaybe if Nash was an UFA, but not with this contract. NO one would be paid much than a sedin contract. its the canucks philosophy. (and i like it)

OT

As much as I agree about having them or Luongo as our highest paid players; the contract he has was not signed by Gillis. He can not run an organization and automatically reject a though of adding a player (in this example Nash) just because he's more expensive than the guys he signed himself. All GM's have a job and a reason for their work. Stanley Cup. He would sign Romer to a 12-year $190M contract if it guaranteed us a Cup next spring somehow. It's not a rule, it's a norm. And it applies to his signings, not Howson's or someone else's.

Semin for the first line, Huselius for the second line, then Bjugstad and Versteeg for Luongo?

Sedin - Sedin - Semin

Booth - Kesler - Huselius

Burrows - Bjugstad - Versteeg

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Carle

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Garrison

Schneider

Lack

Good grief, Schneider JUST signed a 3 year deal at a good price and people are ready to ship him off, for crying out loud the ink hasn't even dried on the contract yet.

Schneider is going NOWHERE. Gillis would be the worlds biggest undisputed hypocrite if he were to sign Schneider in good faith and instantly trade him away. The Luongo situation is different in that there certainly are aspects to which we are not privy, and never will be. The bottom line is Luongo is the goaltender that will be traded, not Schneider.

As for Semin, I'm all for it if the price is right, he is responsible defensively as he played on the PK in Washington. Think of Semin as a 30-40 goal scoring Raymond who stays on his feet, though I sincerely doubt he will sign here or if Gillis has any interest at all.

I would like to try and pry Weiss out of FLA as part of the Luongo deal with a package similar to: Luongo, Malhotra, Connauton, 1st for Weiss, Bjustad, Theodore

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Booth/Weiss/Kesler

Higgins/Bjustad/Hansen

Raymond/Lapierre/Kassian

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Garrison

Ballard/Tanev

Schneider

Theodore

I'd be willing to wager a two year contract to see if this player has been misunderstood somewhat.

Even his detractors can't argue that he has the talent to score 40 with regularity. Maybe AV can help mold him into a great secondary scorer then he may still become a more well rounded player. If he can show half of the dedication that Kovalchuk did this year then he could be a bargain signing.

The kid has lived his last few on one year contracts maybe because he's greedy or getting bad advice. Who knows? Maybe he's looking for and would benefit from a little stability right now.

A change of scenery might do him a world of good. If it cost under $9 mil for two years then he'd be worth a look.

/ I mean, If Raymond is making $2.25 anyway then isn't it worth doubling that salary for double the goals?

Archived