Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Sami Salo to Tampa Bay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
387 replies to this topic

#361 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Who's going to look after Edler now? :frantic:

Juice will be a good father figure to him :bigblush:

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#362 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

GL to Sami, always liked him and the way he played. Will always be a Canuck in my eyes.
Posted Image

#363 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

I wanted Sami to be the guy to score the Cup winning goal... it's hard to see him go.

#364 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Good luck Sami!!
Posted Image

#365 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

October 28th Sami Salo returns to Rogers Arena!

I will try to go to that game, hopefully the fans thank Salo for everything he has done on that night.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#366 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,845 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Hedman-Salo

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#367 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Stop stealing our Foreign born veteran defensemen Tampa Bay... Geez find your own...

#368 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,979 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

Word is he fractured his hand while signing the contract.

#369 Quinn12

Quinn12

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:43 AM

If you think about it...he's been our best, most consistent defenceman for the last decade. When was the last time you watched a game and you said "Damn Salo is having a horrible game"

Best of luck Sammy, your services will not be forgotten.

Yes, most consistent injuried player ever to don a Canuck jersey.. Good riddance he's gone.. Glass Cannon < Garrison
R.I.P. Luc Bourdon.. Forever a Canuck; never forgotten

"'Grow some balls, just do it; and he went down there and done it"
--- Claude Giroux on how he helped his brother-in-law propose to his sister. lol

#370 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Word is he fractured his hand while signing the contract.

hahha, awesome and so true

#371 Canuck fan in Calgary

Canuck fan in Calgary

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

(ahem) Shea, the number 6 is now avaible in blue and green
respect your edlers

#372 canucks3322

canucks3322

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

what a classy guy to the end, gonna miss you and your sick slap shot best of luck in Tampa hope you still healthy :D

#373 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Absolute class right to the end.........

VANCOUVER -- Defenceman Sami Salo released a statement Monday through his new Tampa Bay Lightning team thanking the Vancouver Canucks and their fans.

"I want to express my sincere gratitude to the Canucks ownership, management and coaches for the opportunity to have been a part of such wonderful organization," Salo said.

"I would like to thank my teammates for the friendship, hard-fought battles, and all of their support over the years. Most importantly, I would like to thank the fans in Vancouver for their support. I was not always a perfect player, but I always gave my best and I appreciate the way the fans treated me."

Salo, who became an unrestricted free agent Sunday morning, signed a two-year contract worth $3.75 million a season with the Lightning on Sunday.

He had spent nine seasons with the Canucks. Salo scored nine goals and had 25 points last season, when he logged 69 games.

"It is an honor and a privilege to have been able to call myself a Vancouver Canuck and I wish everyone associated with the organization the best of the luck," Salo said in his statement. "Thank you."

Canuck general manager Mike Gillis paid tribute to Salo on Sunday.

"Sami was an excellent hockey player, but was an even better person," Gillis said. "We are going to miss him a lot, but where we are today and what we are trying to do, the most on term we could go was one year. I think Sami has made a wonderful deal for himself and his family moving forward and I wish him the best of luck. I hope he stays healthy and does well."

Salo, who turns 38 in September, became expendable when the Canucks signed free agent defenceman Jason Garrison on Sunday.

http://www.vancouver...2630/story.html

Gonna miss him out there on the blue line and that shot.......the number of times in a game you'd see him lined up on the blue line ready to let 'er rip and you'd be holding your breath. Good luck in Tampa, Sami!

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 02 July 2012 - 12:36 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#374 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Here is an article of a short interview with Sami Salo by a finnish news agency MTV3 following the signing. I translated it quickly/roughly w/google for you.

Sami Salo made ​​a two-year deal with Tampa Bay Lightning. Many other clubs were pursuing 37-year-old Turku native.

- Making the decision was not easy. I had many good options. At the end of the day, Anaheim, Detroit and Dallas were in play, Sami Salo revealed to MTV3.

- We made the decision that satisfied all of us together as a family. New challenges await. Thanks to all the clubs who were in contact, the defender said.

Salo had been with Vancouver since 2002.

- It is certainly nostalgic feeling to leave. The organization [Canucks] has always been very professional about everything. Owners and management really care about hockey, and they work very hard for the team. And the fans there are awesome, Salo said.

The experienced defender grabbed the plush salary increase.

- I have heard only positive things of the Tampa organization. Steve Yzerman as GM and a good friend Mattias Ohlund plays there. Now a new beginning, a new place for new challenges and objectives, Sami Salo said to MTV3.

Salo was signed Monday night to a two-year and 7.5 million dollar deal. Last year in Vancouver, Salo earned two million dollars. In Tampa, the native of Turku gets to play alongside star players.

- Steve Stamkos, Vincent Lecavalier, Martin, St. Louis. Those are big names. The team was in the Eastern Conference finals two years ago, it's not a coincidence, Salo thought.

The age of 37 Salo has just one goal in mind.

- The team's goal is always in the postseason. I only want to play for the Stanley Cup Championship. The goal is to get to raise the cup, Salo said.

http://www.mtv3.fi/u...vat-puolustajan

http://www.mtv3.fi/u...ahtien-joukkoon

Edited by Spoosh, 02 July 2012 - 01:24 PM.

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#375 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Botchford smirking on TSN today that Yzerman goofed, as Salo's 3.75 is actually more like 5 million if you work it out based on average games lost to injury...
Stay classy over there at The Province.

Sorry Sami - this guy doesn't represent.

#376 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Salo is good but 3.75 mil for 2 years? :picard:

#377 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Risky deal only because I think he's just now starting to slow down and despite constantly bouncing back from injuries, it seems like he could suffer a career-threatening one at any time. This is a 35+ deal so if he retires, they're still stuck with the cap hit for the duration. No wonder he wanted a two-year deal but I don't blame Gillis for not giving him one. I'd never sign a 35+ year old player to a multi-year deal, you just never know, and neither can the players.

However, if he stays healthy (well, relatively healthy, for Salo) and plays both years, I think this is potentially a very good signing for the Lightning.

#378 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Good luck Sami!

#379 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 17,135 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

Risky deal only because I think he's just now starting to slow down and despite constantly bouncing back from injuries, it seems like he could suffer a career-threatening one at any time. This is a 35+ deal so if he retires, they're still stuck with the cap hit for the duration. No wonder he wanted a two-year deal but I don't blame Gillis for not giving him one. I'd never sign a 35+ year old player to a multi-year deal, you just never know, and neither can the players.

However, if he stays healthy (well, relatively healthy, for Salo) and plays both years, I think this is potentially a very good signing for the Lightning.

Kuba (2x4) and Souray (3x3.66) also signed 35+ contracts, multiple years, same ballpark cap hits... A little risky, but anyone can get injured, and that was the going rate for a solid veteran guy. Bryan Allen in the same ballpark. Gotta let the oldtimers play...

#380 NZCanuck

NZCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

"Sami was an excellent hockey player, but was an even better person," Gillis said. "We are going to miss him a lot, but where we are today and what we are trying to do, the most on term we could go was one year. I think Sami has made a wonderful deal for himself and his family moving forward and I wish him the best of luck. I hope he stays healthy and does well."

I'm glad Gillis was honest about the situation but really supportive of Sami. He gave a lot for the Canucks but unfortunately it's a business at the end of the day. I hope he does well with the Bolts.

#381 Drive-By Body Pierce

Drive-By Body Pierce

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

@TEAM1040

RT @helenestjames: #Redwings made 2 year offer to D Sami Salo Sunday but lost him to Tampa Bay. Wanted to add both Suter & Salo.

Posted Image

#382 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,979 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

@TEAM1040

RT @helenestjames: #Redwings made 2 year offer to D Sami Salo Sunday but lost him to Tampa Bay. Wanted to add both Suter & Salo.

Finally things aren't going the wings way, personnel wise. Their final chance is Ryan Suter or else they are going to be pretty average on defense.

#383 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Sorry to see him go.When healthy he was our best or close to it D man.He had an awesome shot plus was very good at defence.The price was way to high but I'd take it!
Posted Image

#384 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 76,933 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

According to Cap Geek Sami Salo got a modified NMC.

307mg00.jpg

#385 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Good for him. I mean - he signed a discounted contract last season and has had all these injury issues. He deserves to end his career with a high note. Hopefully he remains healthy and has a couple more good years.

Honestly will be sorry to see him go. He was a good, consistent blueliner for us. Shame that all the injuries plagued him through his career.

However - as much as I like him - I still don't think he's worth that much at this point. Not sure why Tampa is overpaying for yet another Canuck d-man in the twilight of his career.

Edited by kloubek, 03 July 2012 - 08:20 PM.

Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#386 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

On the flipside, Tampa Bay's defence is now quite solid. Perfect mix of veterans and young guys, with a perfect complement of puck-movers to physical shutdown guys. They now have a cup-winning defence with great size across the board, all they need is solid goaltending and depth scoring as opposed to offensive stars and they'll contend.

Bergeron - Brewer
Hedman - Ohlund
Salo - Aulie
Commodore - Gervais

Of the 10 defencemen they have, the average size is 6'3" 214lbs. That's the size it takes to contend with the big forwards of Boston and Los Angeles, who have swept through the defence of smaller teams. Big defences don't get injured in the post-season, they injure forwards which is how you win in the post-season and now Tampa have a playoff-ready defence. If they make the post-season they'll cause some havoc.
Posted Image

#387 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

On the flipside, Tampa Bay's defence is now quite solid. Perfect mix of veterans and young guys, with a perfect complement of puck-movers to physical shutdown guys. They now have a cup-winning defence with great size across the board, all they need is solid goaltending and depth scoring as opposed to offensive stars and they'll contend.

Bergeron - Brewer
Hedman - Ohlund
Salo - Aulie
Commodore - Gervais

Of the 10 defencemen they have, the average size is 6'3" 214lbs. That's the size it takes to contend with the big forwards of Boston and Los Angeles, who have swept through the defence of smaller teams. Big defences don't get injured in the post-season, they injure forwards which is how you win in the post-season and now Tampa have a playoff-ready defence. If they make the post-season they'll cause some havoc.

Bergeron is a boo-boo machine, and Ohlund may never play again. And the last 3 on that list are plugs.

You need a more realistic and updated take on their D situation. Even with steady Sami, it hasn't improved much.

#388 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,095 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

:sadno: Thank You Sami, You will be missed!!! Good Luck in Sunny TB!!!! Classy guy great player for us for years and the final piece that calls to the end the last of a Canuck generation. Hopefully with a complete change of guard the Canucks will be refreshed reinvigorated and win the Cup this season! :towel:
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.