The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sami Salo to Tampa Bay

How many people here actually were slotting Salo in to the top-6 this year, prior to the Canucks not getting Schultz and dropping out of the Garrison gamble? Unless Ballard was going to be traded, Salo was likely going to be the 6th - 8th guy here.

Salo took a really big cut to stay with this team last year, and now he has decided he still wants to play and that he wants to get paid. Good for him, and good luck in TB.

And, as has been pointed out by others, how many people here would be moaning about Salo getting anything like $3.75 million per season? There would have been so much indignation that Gillis was spending so much on Salo rather than in getting Garrison (or Suter... or Weber :P).

You believe Salo would have signed here for less? Fine, how much do you believe Gillis should have offered (above last year's $2 million)? Most of the folks who have done line-ups for the upcoming season, assuming they have even included Salo on the team, pegged his salary at well under $2 million per season.

Some have pointed out that Salo may well have seen the writing on the wall, that his playing time here was going to be diminished, so he went where he could get more cash and could play enough to earn it. Once again, good for him.

Moving on.

regards,

G.

Best of luck Sami! Sad to see you go.

In the last 2 summers, Gillis has let two top 4 d-men go and has yet to replace either. Hopefully he has something in the works cause I'm getting nervous. No more Sturm summer please.

EDIT: One injury in the top 4 and this is what d looks like:

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler- Alberts

Ballard -???

No d-men.

How about you include the entire context, and if you had any semblance of intelligence, you'd know that AV is a "Corsi Coach". He puts players in specific situations in order to maximize the return of their play. This does not inherently mean that the coach will play each player in a situation that caters to their specific talents or abilities.

Keith Ballard is an offensively capable defenseman, he rushes the puck as well as starting the break out. His roles the past two seasons when he wasn't plagued by injury or ineffectiveness of not being able to adjust to a new team were bottom pairing, meant to advance the puck and get it into the offensive zone and create a stoppage; whereby the offensive lines (sedins, kesler lines) would then come out for the offensive draw.

Ballard was played in these roles because we had better options for the T4 or in other words the more offensive pairings who also happened to play PP and PK. I would be willing to bet that with injury fully behind him, a full off season to train and an increased role on the team will result in at least 25-35 points this season, perhaps more.

I wouldn't be terribly upset if Salo left.. That said why do we even bother with anything eklund related..

The friggin guy had Burish to Stars as a done deal today, then had to audacity to say ooops i thought my source said stars not sharks...

I sure hope Gillis has a plan cause the loss of Salo is a major bow to our blue line. Salo was still really good for us this past season anyone who says other is being bitter about losing him. Since our cup finals we lost Ehrhoff and Salo from the blue line, that's a pretty big hit, Gillis I sure hope you have something coming. IMO, I think Gillis thought we were going to land Schultz and snub Salo.

Archived