The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis

L'Orange

Gillis:   

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond,Rypien, Manny) when push comes to shove." riffraff

Rypien was already traded away but he will always be remembered as a Canuck.

Raymond just got low -balled as Gillis has to realise the full value of the asset before dumping him.

Manny is under contract for the next season.

"I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond,Rypien, Manny) when push comes to shove." riffraff

Rypien was already traded away but he will always be remembered as a Canuck.

Raymond just got low -balled as Gillis has to realise the full value of the asset before dumping him.

Manny is under contract for the next season.

Well,it is midnight here so I can't answer appropriately.

It is performance based but if a team is to build a legacy there has to be players that stay with the team and/or the team's mgmt. is loyal to them into retirement.

How many Canucks retire a Canuck? Trevor did but he went round the league first.

I thought Luo would be in that category.

Recently,I thought Sami would be extended a fair enough deal to finish his career on this team that he had played ten years for.

If I were the GM I would have kept both of these players and added Garrison and traded Schneider,instead.

Luo brought the team a long way.This team was in the wilderness without a goaltender of his calibre.

Then again,I am just a fan and I don't have the pressure or payday that a GM has to make these decisions.

Where is the option where Gillis is a good GM that will not overpay for players that arn't worth their contract.

To say that Gillis is a moron because of lack of signings (in an highly overpaid market) is a bit moronic.

I numbered them for you.

1. Erhoff wanted more money, but Vancouver didn't want to pay him it. Simple. Nothing to with our team or city. Salo wanted to sign for more years, and still have an important role on the team. Unfortunately for him, MG said he doesn't like to sign players his age for longer than a year at a time (Luongo being the exception, an elite goalie can last longer). Also, with Garrison coming in, his role would have been greatly reduced. It's not an insult to Salo, one of our greatest franchise defensemen, it's giving him the opportunity to play where he can get what he wants.

2. This is unbelievably silly. Having two solid goalies (one being a franchise goalie to boot!) is nothing to feel bad about. The only reason Luongo is probably is getting traded is because we have two goalies! There is no lack of confidence in either goalie. Plain and simple. Schneider also was talked about being traded too.

But why would we trade our tandem? Because of the return it brings to the team. And Luongo probably will bring a larger return than Schneider, being that he is a franchise goalie, with tons of playoff experience, with finals experience (with 2 finals shutouts), some of the best post lockout stats of ALL goalies, and is proven. He hasn't asked for a trade, but has said he would wave his NTC if the team asked. (One also minor factor I'll point out, because someone else will, is our fanbase also hasn't yet turned on Schneider, so it makes more sense to keep the fresh face. But MG has said that he has equal faith in both goalies, and that Luongo would stay if it was feasible.)

Also, about Schneider's contract, that's pretty much the going rate this season for free agents, like it or not.

3.You would prefer it if he threw AV under the bus?

Also, Kesler did need to step up, he is a better player and he knows it. We can debate whether publicly was right or not, but something at the time was needed to be done to light a fire under his a$$.

4. When has he ever listened to fans. In fact that seems to CDC number 1 complaint, that he doesn't listen to them.

Your example was terrible; when he's addressing the fanbase (which is a rabid horde), he is supposed to convince them what he is doing is right. And how is saying that people will be happy with his decision swaying to popular demand? Would you prefer if he did unpopular things just to be different. (Emo Gillis!)

5. That is probably because he didn't pan out the way they hoped, and they found someone who could do his job better. Also, it makes more room for other prospects. I am not too sure on the exact reasoning, but I am sure it isn't just MG making decisions at random as you seem to infer.

6. No loyalty? What? Just because a player hasn't been signed or they have been traded doesn't mean there is no loyalty. Every team trades players; it is just part of the sport. I can cite many instances of our organizations loyalty. For example, Manny Malhotra, Rick Rypien, Kevin Bieksa, and Roberto Luongo are players MG has shown loyalty towards. (The whole team, but I just needed a few examples). In fact, the only dissent is among our fanbase, as we run players out of town with our stupid, mindless negativity. MG isn't the one publicly bashing players, but Luongo has garnered quite the opposition and a change of scenery would be good. The only loyalty we should question is our own.

7.Every team changes, it is just what happens. Some parts have improved, such as our defense, and we have better options for our fourth line. We essentially have the same pieces that went to the finals on our top 3 lines (minus Torres). So, you can't complain about that too much.

8. :picard:

I am a tad worried with the way the team has been going forward.

We sign Garrison and 2 minor signings today.

We need to deal Raymond and work on the 2nd and 3rd line, lets get help up front, improve our scoring punch and strength.

I have never said this before but Gillis is not looking like a good GM to me, unless he can sign someone who we all know without a shadow of doubt will improve this club.

He has not yet.

I didn't vote for either.

I think MG and his scouts have the equivalent of a writer's block.

He's backed himself into a corner with this hometown cap system and it seems to have drastically reduced his success and his options.

I also think he still seems to be confused as to what type of team we should be building.

Anyway we are fortunate in that we still have one of the best core groups..............they just need some help in the area of physicality.

So many teams in the league are very busy today. However the Canucks are not one of them.

Deals like Carkner, Parros, Burish, Parenteau, and Tootoo are now gone to other teams.

Even worse, Sami Salo, a Canuck for over ten years has been signed in Tampa.

This makes me think that Gillis may have something larger up his sleeve. Possibly a play for one of the big free agents. Even so it would have been a great idea to shore up size issues with Carkner and Parros.

The Canucks are a good team. By no means great. The need for grit and toughness could have been answered for cheap today, but wasn't.

Hopefully Gillis has something up his sleeve. Otherwise if he expects to get anywhere near the post season with the team from last year, minus Salo, he's truly stupid.

The Canucks, the way they are now, are average, and without any major shake-up will be doing a slow parade towards mediocrity in this league.

They were lucky to get the President's Trophy playing in what was the weakest division in the league. After today it will be much harder to do such things.

If we go into October with the same group, I hope Gillis is canned

Ya I'm dissappointed MG didn't pick up some grit, something we've been lacking for years now btw. And I doubt Kassian is gonna be able to be that guy this year. Wished we had gotten Prust, but glad we didn't get Burish.

So many teams in the league are very busy today. However the Canucks are not one of them.

Deals like Carkner, Parros, Burish, Parenteau, and Tootoo are now gone to other teams.

Even worse, Sami Salo, a Canuck for over ten years has been signed in Tampa.

This makes me think that Gillis may have something larger up his sleeve. Possibly a play for one of the big free agents. Even so it would have been a great idea to shore up size issues with Carkner and Parros.

The Canucks are a good team. By no means great. The need for grit and toughness could have been answered for cheap today, but wasn't.

Hopefully Gillis has something up his sleeve. Otherwise if he expects to get anywhere near the post season with the team from last year, minus Salo, he's truly stupid.

The Canucks, the way they are now, are average, and without any major shake-up will be doing a slow parade towards mediocrity in this league.

They were lucky to get the President's Trophy playing in what was the weakest division in the league. After today it will be much harder to do such things.

If we go into October with the same group, I hope Gillis is canned

"Hmm, so do you want Gillis to sign guys he believes can actually help the club, or do you just want him to sign guys for the sake of signing someone?"

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this ..............except, I am of the opinion Garrison was signed for that very reason.......he probably couldn't get what we really needed for whatever reason ..........so he goes for a hometown boy who he knows he can get and proceeds to tell everyone he is just what we need (a 2nd Ehrhoff) .......well sorry, he wasn't what we needed. We needed a stay at home quality big bad D who would protect the goalie and smack the bullies.

I suggested Souray or Shaone Morrison. (look at the videos of this guy..........I have put some up on here on another thread)........he is the epitome of a " don't touch my team mate or you're going to have to pay. And he hits hard.

"Hmm, so do you want Gillis to sign guys he believes can actually help the club, or do you just want him to sign guys for the sake of signing someone?"

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this ..............except, I am of the opinion Garrison was signed for that very reason.......he probably couldn't get what we really needed for whatever reason ..........so he goes for a hometown boy who he knows he can get and proceeds to tell everyone he is just what we need (a 2nd Ehrhoff) .......well sorry, he wasn't what we needed. We needed a stay at home quality big bad D who would protect the goalie and smack the bullies.

I suggested Souray or Shaone Morrison. (look at the videos of this guy..........I have put some up on here on another thread)........he is the epitome of a " don't touch my team mate or you're going to have to pay. And he hits hard.

Archived