Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Mike Gillis

Speculation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

Poll: Gillis: (151 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Mike Gillis' lack of signing players at the FA deadline:

1. A sign that he will be making a major trade? (95 votes [63.33%])

Percentage of vote: 63.33%

2. A sign that he is an absolute moron and so are the Aquilinis? (55 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 cuprun2011

cuprun2011

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

I wonder why this thread got so quiet..........weird

#62 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

I think the same people moping about Gillis this year might be the same ones who were bashing him for not snagging Leino or Upshall for ridiculous dollars last July.

If you're going to break the bank then do it for a prime time UFA only and even then you are competing with numerous other teams for the same single asset.

Yeah, Gillis is such an 'absolute moron' for sealing the deal on a highly-sought after, young UFA for less $ than other teams were offering in an open market. :rolleyes:

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#63 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

This FA signing has further confirmed to me that Gillis is a cold, calculated and cerebral GM that knows what he's doing.
Seriously, how many players has he signed to sweet heart deals and home town discounts.
This is a sign of a good GM
Too many impatient fans that expect change just for the sake of satisfying their selfish wants.

I'm now starting warm up to the idea that Gillis will actually make a hockey trade for Luongo instead of taking a salary dump.

#64 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Way too many people jumped the gun on Gillis.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#65 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

Well, there, that's what I was talking about. I thought 4+ was an overpayment. Anything over 5 is a joke. He was signed in the middle. A benefit of getting your other loyal players to sign cheaper allows you to go out and overpay a bit to get someone you need.
Posted Image

#66 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:19 PM

Well, he's going to overpay if he's truly going after Garrison. What exactly is the point of signing half your team to reduced prices if you're afraid to overpay a little for a certain player or two that can put your team over the top or fill a position that drastically needs it. I don't think he would have overpaid at all for some of the guys he could have gone after today anyway. Hesitation and reluctance to go after FA's defeats the whole purpose of trying to design a cap friendly team in the first place. If he does go after Garrison, there's overpaying then there's just being stupid. I personally wouldn't go more than 4 on him. TSN reported he's aiming for 5+.

It's not fun to quote people later on the same day. No, no it isn't.

:bigblush:

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

#67 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Well, there, that's what I was talking about. I thought 4+ was an overpayment. Anything over 5 is a joke. He was signed in the middle. A benefit of getting your other loyal players to sign cheaper allows you to go out and overpay a bit to get someone you need.

Yeah that's what you were talking about? I seriously just lol'd soooo hard.

#68 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

I think the same people moping about Gillis this year might be the same ones who were bashing him for not snagging Leino or Upshall for ridiculous dollars last July.

If you're going to break the bank then do it for a prime time UFA only and even then you are competing with numerous other teams for the same single asset.

Yeah, Gillis is such an 'absolute moron' for sealing the deal on a highly-sought after, young UFA for less $ than other teams were offering in an open market. :rolleyes:

Absolutely.

Gillis' agent background plays a part in this.

I still feel that even his role player signings have been much more savvy than Nonis'. And i was a major supporter of Nonis.

If there is a prime player in which there is even some possibility of the Canucks to be a part of the mix, then it seems that Gillis and co.are smart enough to engage when appropriate.

Talked to a trusted friend today whose Hockey opinion i trust, and we both were unsure of what the team may need next season, and so far we have gotten a sniff of what may come.

I still feel a deal, or sometihng may transpire for a forward, maybe a reliable centre?

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#69 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Yeah that's what you were talking about? I seriously just lol'd soooo hard.

That's pretty much what I said in my earlier post, yes.
Posted Image

#70 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

It's official, Gillis is not a moron. I was worried though. Typical Canucks fan, eh?
Posted Image

#71 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

I used to be a huge Gillis fan, but lately I am not so sure. I will get flamed for this, but I think it's worth it.

He says that Vancouver is place where players want to come and stay. Yet people like Salo and Ehrhoff are allowed to leave. Ehrhoff I can understand, he wanted a big payday.

Also, look at how he has been treating the goaltending situation here. The 1A 1B BS talk they went with only makes Lu look dumb and doesn't show much confidence/respect. Why did you sign the guy to a 12 year contract ?

Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid too much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

The way he talked about Kes in defense of AV (I am not a big Kes fan but still think it's wrong). I don't know but if I was a player and that is how the Canucks treat backbones of the team, I would not want to come here.

He made a comment in a presser that people make too much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when he answered on what the terms were for Schnieds. (You will be happy)

Keeping Gragnani in the lineup so he stays an RFA only to not qualify him? This was very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond) when push comes to shove.

The chemistry has changed so much on this team since the 2011 playoff run, that the last season was just a waste even though they backed into a pres trophy.

Edit: Grammar police you make me laugh.

Edited by VMR, 04 July 2012 - 09:26 AM.

They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#72 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,846 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Only on the CDC would someone say their team "backed into a presidents trophy".

Gillis has built an impressive team for way cheaper than he should have. He's built an organization that MAKES good players rather than buying them. So when he lets go of someone, other teams are quick to buy them. When he wants to acquire a good player, they know they're going to develop, and the ones who put their athletic success over their financial success end up coming here. This has been the message the Canucks send to players and Gillis' decisions have been in line with that sentiment. Garrison vs Schultz is a prime example. Letting Hodgson go is another. CDCers love to talk stats and say we missed out on this guy or that, but often they don't have a clue whether certain players may not have a good attitude and thus are not pursued by Gillis. AV's coaching comes under similar scrutiny but when someone breaks their back or takes a puck to the eye, they get plenty of leeway to re-establish their game. You think the team had a low compete level last year? Imagine if Raymond got thrown under the bus. We just assume these players are all impervious to pain or doubt but the organization knows how important morale of the team is.

Also Kes has always been cocky, but when he gets in a slump, he's hard on himself and gets a bit pissy. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if his attitude was a big part of the drop off in heart that the Canucks had last year. Some people are just like that, infectiously confident and then a miserable downer depending on their performance. And he certainly had reason to be down; his performance was the worst in a few years and was a big speed bump given he'd previously made significant improvements year over year. But if he comes back from this, he'll have Linden's drive and I expect he'll be a great Canuck for years to come. It's just a matter of if he can push through this.

Edited by nateb123, 03 July 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#73 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

I used to be a huge Gillis fan, but lately I am not so sure. I will get flamed for this, but I think it's worth it.

He says that Vancouver is place where players want to come and stay. Yet people like Salo and Ehrhoff are allowed to leave. Ehrhoff I can understand, he wanted a big payday.

Also, how he has been treating the goaltending situation here. The 1A 1B BS talk they went with only makes Lu look dumb and doesn't show much confidence/respect. Why did you sign the 12 year contract with him then?

Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid to much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

The way he talked about Kes in defense of AV (I am not a big Kes fan but still think it's wrong). I don't know but if I was a player and that is how the Canucks treat backbones of the team, I would not want to come here.

He made a comment in a presser that people make to much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when answer what the terms were for Shnieds. (You will be happy)

Keeping Gragnani in the lineup to so he stays RFA only to not quallify him? I don't this seems very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond) when push comes to shove.

The chemistry has changed so much on this team since the 2011 playoff run, that the last season was just a waste even though they backed into a pres trophy.

I have no idea what your taking about. Please fix your grammar so I'm not changing words and adding words into your post when i'm reading it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#74 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,673 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

*looks at calender*

Oh that's right - the season starts in three months and 10 days.

or in 5 months and 13 days. o.O, either way, I am glad we have a GM who is taking his time to find the right way forward, rather than run amok and ruin the team in 30 hours or less.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#75 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Sundin,Luongo term,Hodgson ,Gragnani,Sturm,Ballard terms,Booth was a flop.

Inheriting pieces you then lowball them into is not building a franchise and in the case of Burrows,Hodgson and Salo and Samuelsson,I argue the opposite.

This is is the year.You have less than two months and it is September,Gillis.

“I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis,” Roberts said. “I know he’s on vacation, and I said, ‘Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?’ He said, ‘Gary, I’ve dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I’m just going to take the high road.’
“For me, I’d like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, ‘You’re a moron.’ It doesn’t really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud.”

#76 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

other.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#77 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

Also, how he has been treating the goaltending situation here. The 1A 1B BS talk they went with only makes Lu look dumb and doesn't show much confidence/respect. Why did you sign the 12 year contract with him then?

Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid to much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

He made a comment in a presser that people make to much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when answer what the terms were for Shnieds. (You will be happy)

Keeping Gragnani in the lineup to so he stays RFA only to not quallify him? I don't this seems very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond,Rypien, Manny) when push comes to shove.

fixed

Edited by riffraff, 03 July 2012 - 09:41 PM.

Posted Image

When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#78 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

So many teams in the league are very busy today. However the Canucks are not one of them.

Deals like Carkner, Parros, Burish, Parenteau, and Tootoo are now gone to other teams.

Even worse, Sami Salo, a Canuck for over ten years has been signed in Tampa.

This makes me think that Gillis may have something larger up his sleeve. Possibly a play for one of the big free agents. Even so it would have been a great idea to shore up size issues with Carkner and Parros.

The Canucks are a good team. By no means great. The need for grit and toughness could have been answered for cheap today, but wasn't.

Hopefully Gillis has something up his sleeve. Otherwise if he expects to get anywhere near the post season with the team from last year, minus Salo, he's truly stupid.

The Canucks, the way they are now, are average, and without any major shake-up will be doing a slow parade towards mediocrity in this league.

They were lucky to get the President's Trophy playing in what was the weakest division in the league. After today it will be much harder to do such things.

If we go into October with the same group, I hope Gillis is canned

that was nothing short of painful...an opinion based on nothing.

#79 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

I numbered them for you.

1. He says that Vancouver is place where players want to come and stay. Yet people like Salo and Ehrhoff are allowed to leave. Ehrhoff I can understand, he wanted a big payday.

2. Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid to much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

3. The way he talked about Kes in defense of AV (I am not a big Kes fan but still think it's wrong). I don't know but if I was a player and that is how the Canucks treat backbones of the team, I would not want to come here.

4. He made a comment in a presser that people make to much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when answer what the terms were for Shnieds. (You will be happy)

5. Keeping Gragnani in the lineup to so he stays RFA only to not quallify him? I don't this seems very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

6.I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond) when push comes to shove.

7. The chemistry has changed so much on this team since the 2011 playoff run,

8. that the last season was just a waste even though they backed into a pres trophy.

1. Erhoff wanted more money, but Vancouver didn't want to pay him it. Simple. Nothing to with our team or city. Salo wanted to sign for more years, and still have an important role on the team. Unfortunately for him, MG said he doesn't like to sign players his age for longer than a year at a time (Luongo being the exception, an elite goalie can last longer). Also, with Garrison coming in, his role would have been greatly reduced. It's not an insult to Salo, one of our greatest franchise defensemen, it's giving him the opportunity to play where he can get what he wants.

2. This is unbelievably silly. Having two solid goalies (one being a franchise goalie to boot!) is nothing to feel bad about. The only reason Luongo is probably is getting traded is because we have two goalies! There is no lack of confidence in either goalie. Plain and simple. Schneider also was talked about being traded too.
But why would we trade our tandem? Because of the return it brings to the team. And Luongo probably will bring a larger return than Schneider, being that he is a franchise goalie, with tons of playoff experience, with finals experience (with 2 finals shutouts), some of the best post lockout stats of ALL goalies, and is proven. He hasn't asked for a trade, but has said he would wave his NTC if the team asked. (One also minor factor I'll point out, because someone else will, is our fanbase also hasn't yet turned on Schneider, so it makes more sense to keep the fresh face. But MG has said that he has equal faith in both goalies, and that Luongo would stay if it was feasible.)

Also, about Schneider's contract, that's pretty much the going rate this season for free agents, like it or not.

3.You would prefer it if he threw AV under the bus?
Also, Kesler did need to step up, he is a better player and he knows it. We can debate whether publicly was right or not, but something at the time was needed to be done to light a fire under his a$$.

4. When has he ever listened to fans. In fact that seems to CDC number 1 complaint, that he doesn't listen to them.
Your example was terrible; when he's addressing the fanbase (which is a rabid horde), he is supposed to convince them what he is doing is right. And how is saying that people will be happy with his decision swaying to popular demand? Would you prefer if he did unpopular things just to be different. (Emo Gillis!)

5. That is probably because he didn't pan out the way they hoped, and they found someone who could do his job better. Also, it makes more room for other prospects. I am not too sure on the exact reasoning, but I am sure it isn't just MG making decisions at random as you seem to infer.

6. No loyalty? What? Just because a player hasn't been signed or they have been traded doesn't mean there is no loyalty. Every team trades players; it is just part of the sport. I can cite many instances of our organizations loyalty. For example, Manny Malhotra, Rick Rypien, Kevin Bieksa, and Roberto Luongo are players MG has shown loyalty towards. (The whole team, but I just needed a few examples). In fact, the only dissent is among our fanbase, as we run players out of town with our stupid, mindless negativity. MG isn't the one publicly bashing players, but Luongo has garnered quite the opposition and a change of scenery would be good. The only loyalty we should question is our own.

7.Every team changes, it is just what happens. Some parts have improved, such as our defense, and we have better options for our fourth line. We essentially have the same pieces that went to the finals on our top 3 lines (minus Torres). So, you can't complain about that too much.

8. :picard:

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#80 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,387 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

He's leaving room for future UFAs like Edler and Burrows who will need big raises.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#81 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

"I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond,Rypien, Manny) when push comes to shove." riffraff

Rypien was already traded away but he will always be remembered as a Canuck.

Raymond just got low -balled as Gillis has to realise the full value of the asset before dumping him.

Manny is under contract for the next season.

#82 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

He's leaving room for future UFAs like Edler and Burrows who will need big raises.

Don't hold your breath.

#83 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

"I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond,Rypien, Manny) when push comes to shove." riffraff

Rypien was already traded away but he will always be remembered as a Canuck.

Raymond just got low -balled as Gillis has to realise the full value of the asset before dumping him.

Manny is under contract for the next season.

Well let's not forget its a business. Performance based.

I'll ask you who has he not been loyal too and provide your reasonings.
Posted Image

#84 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,809 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Well,it is midnight here so I can't answer appropriately.

It is performance based but if a team is to build a legacy there has to be players that stay with the team and/or the team's mgmt. is loyal to them into retirement.

How many Canucks retire a Canuck? Trevor did but he went round the league first.

I thought Luo would be in that category.

Recently,I thought Sami would be extended a fair enough deal to finish his career on this team that he had played ten years for.

If I were the GM I would have kept both of these players and added Garrison and traded Schneider,instead.

Luo brought the team a long way.This team was in the wilderness without a goaltender of his calibre.

Then again,I am just a fan and I don't have the pressure or payday that a GM has to make these decisions.

Edited by nuck nit, 04 July 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#85 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

I have no idea what your taking about. Please fix your grammar so I'm not changing words and adding words into your post when i'm reading it.

Too funny!

The Grammar made you so mad that you can't even talk.

Edited by VMR, 04 July 2012 - 09:38 AM.

They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#86 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Where is the option where Gillis is a good GM that will not overpay for players that arn't worth their contract.

To say that Gillis is a moron because of lack of signings (in an highly overpaid market) is a bit moronic.
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

"Give Willie Mitchell a tough assignment and he’ll
treat it like life and death." - Alain Vigneault

#87 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

I numbered them for you.

1. Erhoff wanted more money, but Vancouver didn't want to pay him it. Simple. Nothing to with our team or city. Salo wanted to sign for more years, and still have an important role on the team. Unfortunately for him, MG said he doesn't like to sign players his age for longer than a year at a time (Luongo being the exception, an elite goalie can last longer). Also, with Garrison coming in, his role would have been greatly reduced. It's not an insult to Salo, one of our greatest franchise defensemen, it's giving him the opportunity to play where he can get what he wants.

2. This is unbelievably silly. Having two solid goalies (one being a franchise goalie to boot!) is nothing to feel bad about. The only reason Luongo is probably is getting traded is because we have two goalies! There is no lack of confidence in either goalie. Plain and simple. Schneider also was talked about being traded too.
But why would we trade our tandem? Because of the return it brings to the team. And Luongo probably will bring a larger return than Schneider, being that he is a franchise goalie, with tons of playoff experience, with finals experience (with 2 finals shutouts), some of the best post lockout stats of ALL goalies, and is proven. He hasn't asked for a trade, but has said he would wave his NTC if the team asked. (One also minor factor I'll point out, because someone else will, is our fanbase also hasn't yet turned on Schneider, so it makes more sense to keep the fresh face. But MG has said that he has equal faith in both goalies, and that Luongo would stay if it was feasible.)

Also, about Schneider's contract, that's pretty much the going rate this season for free agents, like it or not.

3.You would prefer it if he threw AV under the bus?
Also, Kesler did need to step up, he is a better player and he knows it. We can debate whether publicly was right or not, but something at the time was needed to be done to light a fire under his a$$.

4. When has he ever listened to fans. In fact that seems to CDC number 1 complaint, that he doesn't listen to them.
Your example was terrible; when he's addressing the fanbase (which is a rabid horde), he is supposed to convince them what he is doing is right. And how is saying that people will be happy with his decision swaying to popular demand? Would you prefer if he did unpopular things just to be different. (Emo Gillis!)

5. That is probably because he didn't pan out the way they hoped, and they found someone who could do his job better. Also, it makes more room for other prospects. I am not too sure on the exact reasoning, but I am sure it isn't just MG making decisions at random as you seem to infer.

6. No loyalty? What? Just because a player hasn't been signed or they have been traded doesn't mean there is no loyalty. Every team trades players; it is just part of the sport. I can cite many instances of our organizations loyalty. For example, Manny Malhotra, Rick Rypien, Kevin Bieksa, and Roberto Luongo are players MG has shown loyalty towards. (The whole team, but I just needed a few examples). In fact, the only dissent is among our fanbase, as we run players out of town with our stupid, mindless negativity. MG isn't the one publicly bashing players, but Luongo has garnered quite the opposition and a change of scenery would be good. The only loyalty we should question is our own.

7.Every team changes, it is just what happens. Some parts have improved, such as our defense, and we have better options for our fourth line. We essentially have the same pieces that went to the finals on our top 3 lines (minus Torres). So, you can't complain about that too much.

8. :picard:

Thanks for numbering them for me?

1. Good Defenseman, could have tried more to keep him (Salo)

2. Franchise goalies don't get traded, that's why you call them Franchise goalies. Handled all wrong.

3. Does it matter who in this scenario was thrown under the bus? MG should be controlling what is said in public. Kess had surgery and will be out again to start the season (Something was wrong). AV and camp should have more respect. (Again, not a big Kes fan, but still think it's wrong)

4. MG does listen to the fans. Do you watch his interviews? The state of the union press conference was his way of soothing the fans. I hope he doe not listen to CDC, most of what is said here is out of frustration and a way to vent.

5. You could see it was not working early and should have told AV to solidify the team for the playoffs. Instead they play the last bit of the season with players that were not going to start in the playoffs.

6. Loyalty is not trying to trade your franchise player to keep an unproven one. Loyalty is supporting supporting Kes when he is hurt and controlling when he comes back. Loyalty is letting Naslund finish his career here. Loyalty is supporting players that have contributed in making the team what it is today. The only loyalty I have seen him give is to AV (which is fine).

7. Making changes is part of getting better and I understand that. You need to make the team better with the changes not worse. Are you telling me that this team played the same with the changes made?

8. Face palm me all you want on this one. This team played horrible last season and somehow managed to win the Pres Trophy. Good for them/us. Last year should have been pure domination and a decisive clear cut win for that trophy.
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#88 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am a tad worried with the way the team has been going forward.

We sign Garrison and 2 minor signings today.

We need to deal Raymond and work on the 2nd and 3rd line, lets get help up front, improve our scoring punch and strength.

I have never said this before but Gillis is not looking like a good GM to me, unless he can sign someone who we all know without a shadow of doubt will improve this club.

He has not yet.

#89 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6jRXaKZz44&feature=g-all-u

My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#90 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

I didn't vote for either.
I think MG and his scouts have the equivalent of a writer's block.

He's backed himself into a corner with this hometown cap system and it seems to have drastically reduced his success and his options.
I also think he still seems to be confused as to what type of team we should be building.

Anyway we are fortunate in that we still have one of the best core groups..............they just need some help in the area of physicality.
Kevin.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.