The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis

L'Orange

Gillis:   

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the same people moping about Gillis this year might be the same ones who were bashing him for not snagging Leino or Upshall for ridiculous dollars last July.

If you're going to break the bank then do it for a prime time UFA only and even then you are competing with numerous other teams for the same single asset.

Yeah, Gillis is such an 'absolute moron' for sealing the deal on a highly-sought after, young UFA for less $ than other teams were offering in an open market. :rolleyes:

This FA signing has further confirmed to me that Gillis is a cold, calculated and cerebral GM that knows what he's doing.

Seriously, how many players has he signed to sweet heart deals and home town discounts.

This is a sign of a good GM

Too many impatient fans that expect change just for the sake of satisfying their selfish wants.

I'm now starting warm up to the idea that Gillis will actually make a hockey trade for Luongo instead of taking a salary dump.

Well, he's going to overpay if he's truly going after Garrison. What exactly is the point of signing half your team to reduced prices if you're afraid to overpay a little for a certain player or two that can put your team over the top or fill a position that drastically needs it. I don't think he would have overpaid at all for some of the guys he could have gone after today anyway. Hesitation and reluctance to go after FA's defeats the whole purpose of trying to design a cap friendly team in the first place. If he does go after Garrison, there's overpaying then there's just being stupid. I personally wouldn't go more than 4 on him. TSN reported he's aiming for 5+.

Well, there, that's what I was talking about. I thought 4+ was an overpayment. Anything over 5 is a joke. He was signed in the middle. A benefit of getting your other loyal players to sign cheaper allows you to go out and overpay a bit to get someone you need.

I think the same people moping about Gillis this year might be the same ones who were bashing him for not snagging Leino or Upshall for ridiculous dollars last July.

If you're going to break the bank then do it for a prime time UFA only and even then you are competing with numerous other teams for the same single asset.

Yeah, Gillis is such an 'absolute moron' for sealing the deal on a highly-sought after, young UFA for less $ than other teams were offering in an open market. :rolleyes:

I used to be a huge Gillis fan, but lately I am not so sure. I will get flamed for this, but I think it's worth it.

He says that Vancouver is place where players want to come and stay. Yet people like Salo and Ehrhoff are allowed to leave. Ehrhoff I can understand, he wanted a big payday.

Also, look at how he has been treating the goaltending situation here. The 1A 1B BS talk they went with only makes Lu look dumb and doesn't show much confidence/respect. Why did you sign the guy to a 12 year contract ?

Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid too much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

The way he talked about Kes in defense of AV (I am not a big Kes fan but still think it's wrong). I don't know but if I was a player and that is how the Canucks treat backbones of the team, I would not want to come here.

He made a comment in a presser that people make too much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when he answered on what the terms were for Schnieds. (You will be happy)

Keeping Gragnani in the lineup so he stays an RFA only to not qualify him? This was very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond) when push comes to shove.

The chemistry has changed so much on this team since the 2011 playoff run, that the last season was just a waste even though they backed into a pres trophy.

Edit: Grammar police you make me laugh.

Only on the CDC would someone say their team "backed into a presidents trophy".

Gillis has built an impressive team for way cheaper than he should have. He's built an organization that MAKES good players rather than buying them. So when he lets go of someone, other teams are quick to buy them. When he wants to acquire a good player, they know they're going to develop, and the ones who put their athletic success over their financial success end up coming here. This has been the message the Canucks send to players and Gillis' decisions have been in line with that sentiment. Garrison vs Schultz is a prime example. Letting Hodgson go is another. CDCers love to talk stats and say we missed out on this guy or that, but often they don't have a clue whether certain players may not have a good attitude and thus are not pursued by Gillis. AV's coaching comes under similar scrutiny but when someone breaks their back or takes a puck to the eye, they get plenty of leeway to re-establish their game. You think the team had a low compete level last year? Imagine if Raymond got thrown under the bus. We just assume these players are all impervious to pain or doubt but the organization knows how important morale of the team is.

Also Kes has always been cocky, but when he gets in a slump, he's hard on himself and gets a bit pissy. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if his attitude was a big part of the drop off in heart that the Canucks had last year. Some people are just like that, infectiously confident and then a miserable downer depending on their performance. And he certainly had reason to be down; his performance was the worst in a few years and was a big speed bump given he'd previously made significant improvements year over year. But if he comes back from this, he'll have Linden's drive and I expect he'll be a great Canuck for years to come. It's just a matter of if he can push through this.

I used to be a huge Gillis fan, but lately I am not so sure. I will get flamed for this, but I think it's worth it.

He says that Vancouver is place where players want to come and stay. Yet people like Salo and Ehrhoff are allowed to leave. Ehrhoff I can understand, he wanted a big payday.

Also, how he has been treating the goaltending situation here. The 1A 1B BS talk they went with only makes Lu look dumb and doesn't show much confidence/respect. Why did you sign the 12 year contract with him then?

Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid to much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

The way he talked about Kes in defense of AV (I am not a big Kes fan but still think it's wrong). I don't know but if I was a player and that is how the Canucks treat backbones of the team, I would not want to come here.

He made a comment in a presser that people make to much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when answer what the terms were for Shnieds. (You will be happy)

Keeping Gragnani in the lineup to so he stays RFA only to not quallify him? I don't this seems very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond) when push comes to shove.

The chemistry has changed so much on this team since the 2011 playoff run, that the last season was just a waste even though they backed into a pres trophy.

Sundin,Luongo term,Hodgson ,Gragnani,Sturm,Ballard terms,Booth was a flop.

Inheriting pieces you then lowball them into is not building a franchise and in the case of Burrows,Hodgson and Salo and Samuelsson,I argue the opposite.

This is is the year.You have less than two months and it is September,Gillis.

“I talked to Cody after this came out with Gillis,” Roberts said. “I know he’s on vacation, and I said, ‘Hey, I know you went through a lot of stress. How are you feeling about some of those comments?’ He said, ‘Gary, I’ve dealt with a lot of stuff there in the last three years, and I’m just going to take the high road.’

“For me, I’d like to be the guy that looks at Mike Gillis and says, ‘You’re a moron.’ It doesn’t really do anybody any good other than the fact that Mike Gillis looks like, as they say on TSN, a dud.”

Also, how he has been treating the goaltending situation here. The 1A 1B BS talk they went with only makes Lu look dumb and doesn't show much confidence/respect. Why did you sign the 12 year contract with him then?

Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid to much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

He made a comment in a presser that people make to much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when answer what the terms were for Shnieds. (You will be happy)

Keeping Gragnani in the lineup to so he stays RFA only to not quallify him? I don't this seems very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond,Rypien, Manny) when push comes to shove.

So many teams in the league are very busy today. However the Canucks are not one of them.

Deals like Carkner, Parros, Burish, Parenteau, and Tootoo are now gone to other teams.

Even worse, Sami Salo, a Canuck for over ten years has been signed in Tampa.

This makes me think that Gillis may have something larger up his sleeve. Possibly a play for one of the big free agents. Even so it would have been a great idea to shore up size issues with Carkner and Parros.

The Canucks are a good team. By no means great. The need for grit and toughness could have been answered for cheap today, but wasn't.

Hopefully Gillis has something up his sleeve. Otherwise if he expects to get anywhere near the post season with the team from last year, minus Salo, he's truly stupid.

The Canucks, the way they are now, are average, and without any major shake-up will be doing a slow parade towards mediocrity in this league.

They were lucky to get the President's Trophy playing in what was the weakest division in the league. After today it will be much harder to do such things.

If we go into October with the same group, I hope Gillis is canned

I numbered them for you.

1. He says that Vancouver is place where players want to come and stay. Yet people like Salo and Ehrhoff are allowed to leave. Ehrhoff I can understand, he wanted a big payday.

2. Say what you want about Schnieds, he is a good Goalie and I am sure he will be fine as the number one. I think he is paid to much for an unproven tender. (no full season as starter/pressure)

3. The way he talked about Kes in defense of AV (I am not a big Kes fan but still think it's wrong). I don't know but if I was a player and that is how the Canucks treat backbones of the team, I would not want to come here.

4. He made a comment in a presser that people make to much of a big deal about Cap space, yet he seems to go with what loud fans say. Example: During the summit when answer what the terms were for Shnieds. (You will be happy)

5. Keeping Gragnani in the lineup to so he stays RFA only to not quallify him? I don't this seems very strange only because we were struggling so much on defense during the end of the season and playoffs. Seems to me that during that time they should have locked the lineup and got them ready for the playoffs.

6.I don't see much loyalty to players (except Raymond) when push comes to shove.

7. The chemistry has changed so much on this team since the 2011 playoff run,

8. that the last season was just a waste even though they backed into a pres trophy.

Archived