The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis IS BRILLIANT !

Niners70

I think Mike Gillis is the best GM we have ever had. I have liked most of the moves he has made. He really is a great GM.

I am certain that he will do the very best he can to give us a shot at the cup. I am really looking forward to this year.

I think Mike Gillis is the best GM we have ever had. I have liked most of the moves he has made. He really is a great GM.

I am certain that he will do the very best he can to give us a shot at the cup. I am really looking forward to this year.

I remember Gillis's first year as GM he let players that fans loved walk (Naslund, Morrison, and Ohlund the following season) I felt that he was pulling this team apart, but look what he has achieved so far as GM of this team, winner of GM of the year (2011) and took this team to game 7 of the Stanley cup playoffs.

Yes he's made some questionable calls, signing Marco Sturm, trading Hodgson or letting Torres go (in my mind we should have kept him). But he has made some brillant ones trading for Erhroff for next to nothing, signing Dan Hamhuis, or re-signing the Sedins by actually going to Sweden to convince them.

Letting Salo go has hard as it may seem was a must to build this team, sure I would have liked him to retire as a Canuck but I wanted the same for Naslund or Ohlund, it's just business.

I will miss Salo and his booming slap shot but we have to move on.

I don't get it, your goal is to win. So how is not signing people and worrying about paying inflated costs gonna help u? This is retarted.

As I fan I want to be shown they don't give a crap about money. Ticket sales poor in, there gonna sell out every day. I don't want to hear his bs I'm sorry. Go after the big names and pay for it. It makes no sense not too

<p>

U have to remember those who go to the games, buy tickets and stick with this team thick and thin are the paying customers. How can u be ok with poor decisions and even worse bs to cover them every year?I also said we made and offer for glass, as in why the hell would we? That's just taking contract spots for a plug that takes cap space. The last thing we need is useless plugs that no other team wants. Theres a reason other teams dont sign certain players. Poor hockey knowledge? u don't even know how involved I am with hockey? By saying the team needs to man up as a paying ticket holder I think I have the right. I don't really want to go through another season with a bunch of plugs as "signings" with gillis saying he didn't want to over pay. But in the mean time tickets are 20% more because managment knows we're suckers for hockey anyway.

And your metaphor about a child whining to his mom is pretty inaccurate. Are u a paying customer? Then u should be ok with saying what this team your supporting needs. Yes only one persons opinion but alot of people who are paying customers voice the same concerns.

yea every1 says we woulda won the cup if daniel wasnt hurt, IFS AND BUTS dont matter

no1 can predict the future or the past and now every1 says vancouver is falling apart

its july 1st take a breather vancouver needs to look at them selfs and that guy at the top

an unprooven goalie did he not play last year and bailed out luongo 99% of the time

its vancouvers time younger,stronger and more athetlic with speed,agilty,and endurance

i wish luongo and rome good luck but we dont need them with our new talent...

<p>A few years ago, Gillis went the route of signing Luongo to one of those long term, financial, frent end loaded contracts and to this day he is regretting that decision. As a matter of fact, the majority of Vancouver fans, especially most of the ones that grace the hallowed halls of CDC thought it was a great deal until they started feeling the wheels were falling off of Luongo's game.Do you actually believe Gillis will go to that extent again with guys like Parise and Suter? The players that are demanding such contracts will eventually be responsible for the downfall of the NHL if ownership continues to let it happen. The greed of some players and their agents will stiffle the sport as we know it. Terms like 12M as a signing bonus and 100M over the next 10 years is nothing but personal selfishness and will be the demise of the league. Is it any wonder fans have to suffer through lockouts and experience the loss of an entire season. Would you as an owner pay that to a player or would you be telling your GM to go easy with your money? You being an owner, you would definitely do the later because I know good business ethics and common sense would prompt you to do so.Fans should not be that disappointed in the product the Canucks have put on the table over the past couple of years. They have been able to do that because of good business sense and perception. So before we all start to complain about what Gillis does or does not do with respect to trades, a perceptive glance at the entire picture might be of benefit to all those who have become so critical of his managing the team. I certainly do not want a Vancouver team to be like New Jersey, Phoenix, the Islanders, Tampa Bay and other markets who are just scraping by financially. That is what we will get if our GM caters to the greed of some players.

A few years ago, Gillis went the route of signing Luongo to one of those long term, financially loaded front end contracts and to this day he is regretting that decision.

The greed of some players and their agents will stiffle the sport as we know it. Terms like 12M as a signing bonus ....is nothing but personal selfishness and will be the demise of the league.

I certainly do not want a Vancouver team like New Jersey, Phoenix, the Islanders, Tampa Bay and other markets who are just scraping by financially. That is what we will get if our GM caters to greedy players.

Surely this is where the judgement lies and what he is being paid for. If we have reached a ceiling and we can't get above it without one or two of these players, then this is surely a big enough market to do it.

I've no particular leaning to the two players you mention, both are on the small side for this team. However it doesn't take a genius to realise we are in need of (imo) a big sniping winger for the Sedins, a big centre for the 2nd line who can link play and put up points and a couple of big gritty defenders who know how to kick ass (Chara/Pronger come to mind) but I would settle for Komisarek / Weber / Sbisa.

Why compare a market like Vancouver with Tampa, Phoenix etc. You are talking about a massive market in Vancouver, one that has never won a SC and may I add, don't look like doing it unless we make some "bold moves" which we can no doubt afford.

Luongo was not and is still not a bad investment. The mistake MG made was waiting too long to give him some decent protection............it looks like Schneider will also have to wait...................that is what's galling.

In summing up I think Gillis is a good judge of character and is not someone who believes in throwing money about. However he is starting to appear as someone who "does not see the wood for the trees" By that he has now been in the position long enough to see what this team lacks, yet he seems to ignore it. He is obsessed with picking up pieces but at the expense of building a Unit.

Surely this is where the judgement lies and what he is being paid for. If we have reached a ceiling and we can't get above it without one or two of these players, then this is surely a big enough market to do it.

I've no particular leaning to the two players you mention, both are on the small side for this team. However it doesn't take a genius to realise we are in need of (imo) a big sniping winger for the Sedins, a big centre for the 2nd line who can link play and put up points and a couple of big gritty defenders who know how to kick ass (Chara/Pronger come to mind) but I would settle for Komisarek / Weber / Sbisa.

Why compare a market like Vancouver with Tampa, Phoenix etc. You are talking about a massive market in Vancouver, one that has never won a SC and may I add, don't look like doing it unless we make some "bold moves" which we can no doubt afford.

Luongo was not and is still not a bad investment. The mistake MG made was waiting too long to give him some decent protection............it looks like Schneider will also have to wait...................that is what's galling.

In summing up I think Gillis is a good judge of character and is not someone who believes in throwing money about. However he is starting to appear as someone who "does not see the wood for the trees" By that he has now been in the position long enough to see what this team lacks, yet he seems to ignore it. He is obsessed with picking up pieces but at the expense of building a Unit.

U have to remember those who go to the games, buy tickets and stick with this team thick and thin are the paying customers. How can u be ok with poor decisions and even worse bs to cover them every year?I also said we made and offer for glass, as in why the hell would we? That's just taking contract spots for a plug that takes cap space. The last thing we need is useless plugs that no other team wants. Theres a reason other teams dont sign certain players. Poor hockey knowledge? u don't even know how involved I am with hockey? By saying the team needs to man up as a paying ticket holder I think I have the right. I don't really want to go through another season with a bunch of plugs as "signings" with gillis saying he didn't want to over pay. But in the mean time tickets are 20% more because managment knows we're suckers for hockey anyway.

And your metaphor about a child whining to his mom is pretty inaccurate. Are u a paying customer? Then u should be ok with saying what this team your supporting needs. Yes only one persons opinion but alot of people who are paying customers voice the same concerns.

So you're saying it would be great if we still had Salo? I love Sammy and can't wait til he enters our Ring of Honor one day. But man did he look slow by the end of last year. I'll miss him and wish him the best, but cutting the strings was the right move!

I concur. Gillis, if not a genius, is easily one the best GM's in the league and I for one am damn happy he is in charge of our club instead of someone like Pierre Gauthier or Jay Feaster.

Gillis himself said in the interview money / cap wasn't a problem and then muttered something about $20M.

Actually I don't mind him not wishing to pay over the odds............what does worry me is that when he does spend, will he realise that it's "quality with kick ass" we need and not more "glove puppets" with minimal push back.

"As a paying customer I was pretty satisfied with how the season ended last year"..............Really?

I didn't say they were the same player I was referring to grit. We can't afford Weber but if there is a Weber MK 2 I would settle for that.

Wow, look again (in the context of my post)

I know I quoted you saying it and I repeat...............REALLY?

Archived