The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis IS BRILLIANT !

Niners70

I agree. Unfortunately, Gillis does not always have the final say when making those deals. The Canucks cannot afford what Parise and Sutor are demanding; let's agree that is only common sense.

How bold is "bold" as you put it. I suggest the GM disadvantages the team's future by getting involved in the long term contracts that are negotiated. Unfortunately ownership is partly responsible for allowing players to dictate towards that trend. The Canucks tried to get Schultz. It is obvious he did not want to come to Vancouver. How many moves has Gillis tried to work out? We as fans do not really know what efforts he has made to try to make the team better. There just might not be any bold moves out there to be had at this time however that certainly does not mean he is not trying to make that "bold" move as you put it.

IMHO I believe Gillis is trying to get Nash to play with the twins, In addition, a reasonable 3rd line center and another depth defenseman is on his list and I'll bet he is using Luongo to figure into that deal.

Is anyone else getting sick of hearing about "Canuck culture"? I'm not sure Garrison took a big pay cut to play in Vancouver but that's what is being sold. He cashed in pretty good. Two full years in the league with one of them being really good and he gets 28M for 6 years? Pretty good to me. It's more total than Wideman. Cap hit bigger than Ehrhoff. Both guys with better pedigrees than Garrison. It's a good signing but I'm getting tired of this constant selling of how a guy is willing to take less to play here.

And does "Canuck culture" include not offering a nine year vet who has given a lot to your club a decent contract? Or signing a goalie to a 12 year deal and then turn around and try to trade him (after giving out the NTC) two years later?

It's all just business and selling it as something else is silly. You hear a lot about how guys take less but if you look at the salaries on the Canucks they aren't exactly low. Lots of guys making more than 4 million dollars.

I like the Garrison signing but I think Schultz would have been the better option. The ELC would have been nice and given the club some room to manoeuvre. It's too bad that Gillis couldn't sell him on "Canuck culture"! And the stuff about guaranteed ice-time for him seems to be wrong anyway. Schultz himself said it many times.

"I think I am ready for it," he said. "Some people have made it out that I was looking for a guarantee of ice time, but that was never the case. I want to earn my spot and I know I am going to have to do that come the fall. I know I am going to have to work hard this summer and be ready come the camp.

"I want to earn everything I get."

Stop making Gillis out to be more than he is. He's a pretty good GM that makes both good and bad moves. Sometimes he makes the big move and sometimes he fails. Like every GM! But his constant need to self congratulate and to state that guys took less is bothering me. He signed a good player in Garrison. Good. Talk about that. If he can play defence and score I could really care less than he maybe took a couple dollars less to be in Vancouver.

This "culture" hasn't won anything yet and I'm not convinced the team isn't getting further away from winning the Stanley Cup.

Archived