The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis IS BRILLIANT !

Niners70

Gillis hasn't done that well. If he didn't snag Garrison we might as well have tried for Mackinnon or Jones next year. I would have liked to have kept Salo as well. But Tampa gave him the term and money Gillis wasn't going to match.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

This blueline is fine for now, but I would have preferred to keep Salo on the 3rd pair. That would have given us real depth.

We also still need a top-six forward with skill who can play next to Kesler and Booth. Whitney would have been nice but the there was way too much money and there and two years is a bit of a risk. Mueller and Hudler are the only options left.

Canucks also desperately need a solid tweener/3rd liner center who can fill-in for Kesler while he's out and be a steady presence on the 3rd line.

The Luongo trade issue also has to be sorted out.

So yah, Gillis still has a lot of work to do.

Basically we upgraded from an old, fatigue-weary Salo to a much younger, more physical and better defenceman in Garrison.

Garrison has a bomb of a shot which will perfectly replace Salo's, and he brings more physicality to the team. Great job by MG to change the shape of our defence, we're getting more physical and heading in the right direction. Our top 4 right now looks pretty sweet, with each guy capable of handling 20+ minutes:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Ideally we can unload Ballard's contract somewhere for picks and sign another defenceman cheaply, but most of the good ones are already gone. Would have loved Kuba or Allen but Carle is still in the mix.

I am going to step off the beaten and path and thank Gillis for standing pat and not going crazy. I recently watched George McPhee (GM of the capitals), and when asked about free agency he made it very clear it was a time for people to over spend and if you waited to the trade deadline you could pick up the players those GM's over paid for. I mean I love Salo, but 3.75 million per over two years, see ya!

Gillis said we were going to get younger and him not moving means we are going to develop our younger players. We do not have to over react. I know that if Daniel Sedon was healthy we would have beat LA and won the cup, we do not have to change a thing.

Kevin Connaughton has a boomer of a shot and can replace Salo on the power play while playing as our 6th D-man with Tanev ( who is frickin awesome), our bottom four of Edler, Bieksa, and Hamuis is pretty good, would like to trade Ballard and replace him with a bigger stay at home d-man. Kassian, Jensen, Schroeder, Volpatti ans Weise are going to be better AND WE ARE NOT OVER PAYING FOR THEM.

All Gillis needs to do is Trade Luongo to free up some cap space and wait for the trade deadline and were golden. We will be younger and better. If he happens to sneak in a top 6 guy and a big d- man through free agency or trade, great. If not I am confident in our prospects and our coaching staff. You heard it here first ...GILLIS IS BRILLIANT !

Gillis has brought us hamhuis, booth, garrison, kassian, locked Schneider, bieksa down. garrison and kassian have game yet to prove but if they play to their potential I have no problems with his work, he also brought us Torres, lappierre and Higgins who you have to admit they all helped to get us to a cup. While doing this has kept an eye on future cap space, to keep us competitive every July 1st and like his draft picks.

Now that we have Garrison, what do you guys think about signing Olli Jokinen or Peter Mueller (Who is a natural centre) and then trade for Versteeg :)

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Versteeg

Higgins-Mueller-Hansen

Volpatti-Lapierre-Manny/Kass

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Tanev-Connauton?

Schneider

Yah I'm aware. So is every team, some how cap teams still manage to sign big names. He has to show commitment to the city. I don't want to here the same press conference each year. Where he gave an offer or thought about it but he wasn't going to pay so much. It's a joke. How about we don't sign plug players that take up space then. Why would u continue to buy tickets and commit if managment isn't? If you keep the same roster ur going to get the same result. It's not about him panicking I just wanna see some movement.

And we seriously made an offer to tanner glass again? Wtf... That's what I'm talking about

Wow! It's about 50/50 in terms of point of views on this topic.

After reading every reply, I am still in Gillis' camp, and to sign a BC boy at a discount, and to do so while staying within our pay scale, is of stoic proportions. I can't remember who made the comment regarding Gillis' ability to keep us in the running for the cup every year and in future years because of our salary structures and his growing prospect crop, but that was bang on!

This dude is as cool as a cucumber and is sticking to his plan. Most of us on here would die to have that kind of control in our own lives let alone having balls of steel while an entire province is judging you.

HATS OFF TO YOU MR. GILLIS

You my friend don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Your whining and sniveling reminds me of that little kid we have all see in a store who is crying his lungs out because his mummy won't buy him what he wants. Yes many of us would like to strangle the little devil. Like that kid, you need to grow up and start thinking past your eyelids for a change. Many of the good UFA are still looking for a job. Parise, Sutor, Nash, Brodeur etc etc etc or in your tantrum did you miss that important fact.

Who cares about Rome or Glass getting signed. Christ when we had them, the stupid masses on CDC wanted them gone, traded, rode out of town on a rail. Problem with many Vancouver fans, they simply don't know what they want and many like you they show their stupidity and lack of hockey knowledge by sounding off in these forums like you have in your posts.

Shift your mouth out of gear and try using your brain in lieu. You just might learn something for a bloody change.. Your dribble is boring to many of us.

I made it into your 2nd paragraph and that where i stopped reading. First off to say for certain we would of beaten LA with Daniel and won the cup is a bloody joke, i actually don't think we would of beaten them with him in the lineup but we'll never know. I understand your love for this team etc but man we have holes and if you can't see them i don't know what your watching. Its one thing being a little biased/fandom its another to completely overlook the deficiencies and thing everything is honkey dorey cause its not.

I love the move MG made today but it was just the first step. We need another proven top six guy and a 3rd line center and a resolution to the Luongo situation. I think the defense is pretty well set altho i wouldn't be so sure we don't see Ballard moving at some point before the trade deadline next year depending on his play.

Hey, Gaustad was re-signed for $3.2 or $3.3. Pretty much an identical value (in todays market) as we paid for Malhotra when he signed. Gaustad, considering he was re-signed, is fine value!

A Joel Otto calibre 225 lb 6'5" player, I would love to have him on the Nucks at this stage.

Nashville traded a first round pick for Paul gaustad last trade deadline. that my friends is overpayment

Woah, if we had Danny we would have beat the Kings and won the cup? We would have stood more of a chance, but thats saying something. Kings just beat every team in the NHL pretty much in 4 or 5 games, which is pretty darn crazy. Its not as easy as adding Daniel Sedin to our lineup man

U have to remember those who go to the games, buy tickets and stick with this team thick and thin are the paying customers. How can u be ok with poor decisions and even worse bs to cover them every year?I also said we made and offer for glass, as in why the hell would we? That's just taking contract spots for a plug that takes cap space. The last thing we need is useless plugs that no other team wants. Theres a reason other teams dont sign certain players. Poor hockey knowledge? u don't even know how involved I am with hockey? By saying the team needs to man up as a paying ticket holder I think I have the right. I don't really want to go through another season with a bunch of plugs as "signings" with gillis saying he didn't want to over pay. But in the mean time tickets are 20% more because managment knows we're suckers for hockey anyway.

And your metaphor about a child whining to his mom is pretty inaccurate. Are u a paying customer? Then u should be ok with saying what this team your supporting needs. Yes only one persons opinion but alot of people who are paying customers voice the same concerns.

Archived