Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Gillis IS BRILLIANT !

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
122 replies to this topic

#121 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,854 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

I agree. Unfortunately, Gillis does not always have the final say when making those deals. The Canucks cannot afford what Parise and Sutor are demanding; let's agree that is only common sense.

How bold is "bold" as you put it. I suggest the GM disadvantages the team's future by getting involved in the long term contracts that are negotiated. Unfortunately ownership is partly responsible for allowing players to dictate towards that trend. The Canucks tried to get Schultz. It is obvious he did not want to come to Vancouver. How many moves has Gillis tried to work out? We as fans do not really know what efforts he has made to try to make the team better. There just might not be any bold moves out there to be had at this time however that certainly does not mean he is not trying to make that "bold" move as you put it.

IMHO I believe Gillis is trying to get Nash to play with the twins, In addition, a reasonable 3rd line center and another depth defenseman is on his list and I'll bet he is using Luongo to figure into that deal.

Gillis alluded to the Canuck culture and the willingness of Garrison to take less than market to fit into the pay structure around the Bieksa, Hamhuis and Ballard contracts. That speaks volumes about Garrison but also points out what Gillis is faced with when looking at new signings. The only concession appears to be contract length at six years. This signing reconfirms the player attitude about winning and giving the GM the latitude to make it happen.

Yesterday was tougher on the fans than those who were on the phones I suspect. You mentioned overpayment which IMO the Salo deal was, as was Ohlund. I don't think TB could argue that they got value from the Ohlund contract. For those that felt Salo was done dirty by MG. Consider the patience this org extended thru the seasons where he sat injured. Another issue that Gillis is faced with is a possible CAP reduction. The owners want the NHLPA share of revenues to go down from 57% to 52%. That will be a substantial hit as I cannot see Bettman being able to continue growing revenue at the rate he has over the past 5 years.

Nash would be an unbelievable acquistion but would require a multi-player deal with Lou as the focal point. I can see him now with the Twins on the PP! Sign him and Van can afford to try Schroeder at center and fall back on Manny and Lapierre.

#122 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hey Shane Doan - wanna win a Cup?

#123 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Is anyone else getting sick of hearing about "Canuck culture"? I'm not sure Garrison took a big pay cut to play in Vancouver but that's what is being sold. He cashed in pretty good. Two full years in the league with one of them being really good and he gets 28M for 6 years? Pretty good to me. It's more total than Wideman. Cap hit bigger than Ehrhoff. Both guys with better pedigrees than Garrison. It's a good signing but I'm getting tired of this constant selling of how a guy is willing to take less to play here.

And does "Canuck culture" include not offering a nine year vet who has given a lot to your club a decent contract? Or signing a goalie to a 12 year deal and then turn around and try to trade him (after giving out the NTC) two years later?

It's all just business and selling it as something else is silly. You hear a lot about how guys take less but if you look at the salaries on the Canucks they aren't exactly low. Lots of guys making more than 4 million dollars.

I like the Garrison signing but I think Schultz would have been the better option. The ELC would have been nice and given the club some room to manoeuvre. It's too bad that Gillis couldn't sell him on "Canuck culture"! And the stuff about guaranteed ice-time for him seems to be wrong anyway. Schultz himself said it many times.

"I think I am ready for it," he said. "Some people have made it out that I was looking for a guarantee of ice time, but that was never the case. I want to earn my spot and I know I am going to have to do that come the fall. I know I am going to have to work hard this summer and be ready come the camp.
"I want to earn everything I get."

Stop making Gillis out to be more than he is. He's a pretty good GM that makes both good and bad moves. Sometimes he makes the big move and sometimes he fails. Like every GM! But his constant need to self congratulate and to state that guys took less is bothering me. He signed a good player in Garrison. Good. Talk about that. If he can play defence and score I could really care less than he maybe took a couple dollars less to be in Vancouver.
This "culture" hasn't won anything yet and I'm not convinced the team isn't getting further away from winning the Stanley Cup.

Edited by bd71, 02 July 2012 - 11:39 AM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.