The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

Hometown discount, good job. Meanwhile Salo went off to chase the big bucks, dissapointing.

Garrison is a huge upgrade on Salo whichever way you look at it, but now the Canucks desperately need a veteran on the blueline. Allen would have been perfect...

A little bit bigger of a contract than I would have liked to give Garrison but I guess that's the market now. I have no doubts about what he can do for the Canucks on the blueline, though. Don't expect him to score 16 goals again, as that screams "fluke year", but he will be a stalwart defensively, which is really more what the Canucks are looking for. The offense is a bonus.

Assuming Edler gets a multi-year extension, the D core looks to be set for a long time:

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

A reminder guys, Gillis isn't necessarily paying Garrison for his offense. Yes, the 16 goals might be a one year wonder type of deal, but Panthers fans were saying Garrison's defensive and possession numbers have been outstanding for years. THAT is what Gillis is paying for and that's where the player is proven.

Archived