The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

Not particularly happy to hear Garrison prefers the left side. ALready you are talking of pairing him with Hamhuis when the real need is a right side dman to stabilize Edler's game. That said I find the potential of a Garrison - Ballard pairing very interesting. While everyone has the warm and fuzzies over this signing one should step back and ask whether this is a serious CUP contending d-core. If Edler ups his game, Hamhuis and Bieksa play as well as last year, Garrison isn't a one hit wonder and Tanev comes back stronger and oh ya, Ballard hits a grove, then maybe we have something.

Crunching some numbers on my abacus... hang on

A..hem

top 4

(3) #2's + (1) #3/4 > (1) #1 + (3) #4/5/6's

Also

A1 Goaltending = (1) #1

A1G + (3) #2's + (1) #3/4 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (1) #1 + (3) #4/5/6's

^ is better if you want to go past the second round or play a team with 4 good lines

IMO

I've been doing a lot of reading on Garrison today. Gotta say I'm beginning to think we might have got the best player dollar for dollar on the UFA market. Suter and Parise will sign $100 million 12 year contracts. As good as they are I don't think those two players are worth that type of money. Suter is an elite Dman but Parise definitely is not in Malkin, OV and Crosby territory.

Garrison can play both the left and right side. He's so versatile that you can put him on the shut down pairing or offensive pairing. He can PK and/or PP.

Garrison seems like the defensive version of Chris Higgins. A versatile guy who could fill several different roles on the Canucks depending on the need of the hour.

I think Edler and Garrison will make an excellent pairing next season. I see Garrison being to Edler what Hamhuis is to KB3.

Love this argument.

Ryan Suter

Shea Weber

Zdeno Chara

Alex Pietrangelo

If we are being generous:

Erik Karlsson

Dan Girardi

Keith Yandle

Kris Letang

Brent Seabrook

Duncan Keith

Drew Doughty

Please propose who the Canucks acquire any of the above defencemen.

Sign Ryan Suter to a 10-year, 75-85 million contract? When he clearly has no interest of playing in Canada?

Sign Shea Weber for a 8-9 million offer sheet and lose our next 4 first round picks? Or trade Edler++ for him?

Chara and Pietrangelo are virtually untouchable. In the second group, which don't even fit all your requirements, only Yandle would even have a chance of being traded.

Good Luck!

I've been doing a lot of reading on Garrison today. Gotta say I'm beginning to think we might have got the best player dollar for dollar on the UFA market. Suter and Parise will sign $100 million 12 year contracts. As good as they are I don't think those two players are worth that type of money. Suter is an elite Dman but Parise definitely is not in Malkin, OV and Crosby territory.

Garrison can play both the left and right side. He's so versatile that you can put him on the shut down pairing or offensive pairing. He can PK and/or PP.

Garrison seems like the defensive version of Chris Higgins. A versatile guy who could fill several different roles on the Canucks depending on the need of the hour.

I think Edler and Garrison will make an excellent pairing next season. I see Garrison being to Edler what Hamhuis is to KB3.

He was on the radio with Sekeres yesterday morning and he, himself, said that he basically played left side in the Dzone and switched to the right side in the Ozone. He said that he & Campbell got confused a few times throughout the season (on which side to be on and when) and, although he's most comfortable on the left side, he can also play the right if need be.

We're going to like the fact that Garrison can rub guys out, he can play either side, and that he has a booming shot. We're also going to like that he won't go down to injury at any second like Salo. That incident vs. Marchand is NOT happening with Garrison.

We're not going to like that he isn't as fast as Ehrhoff. He's not as much of an offensive force as he is a shutdown force. However, he did appear on Florida's power play because of that shot of his. (Taken off later as Samuelsson was put on the top unit.)

It's awesome that we have another youngish, shutdown-capable defenseman that can handle tough minutes. And that he didn't cost a team-crippling amount to get.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Hamhuis-Garrison

Garrison-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Garrison being able to play either side presents AV with a ton of options.

TOML

We're going to like the fact that Garrison can rub guys out, he can play either side, and that he has a booming shot. We're also going to like that he won't go down to injury at any second like Salo. That incident vs. Marchand is NOT happening with Garrison.

We're not going to like that he isn't as fast as Ehrhoff. He's not as much of an offensive force as he is a shutdown force. However, he did appear on Florida's power play because of that shot of his. (Taken off later as Samuelsson was put on the top unit.)

It's awesome that we have another youngish, shutdown-capable defenseman that can handle tough minutes. And that he didn't cost a team-crippling amount to get.

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Hamhuis-Garrison

Garrison-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Garrison being able to play either side presents AV with a ton of options.

TOML

Since someone addressed a Weber offersheet earlier, it seems as though I'm not the only one who sees a 1-year offersheet as a realistic option:

Elliotte Friedman@FriedgeHNIC

45]

Weber cannot be traded until the anniversary of the offer. Puts Predators in a tough spot if UFA age doesn't change.

9:13 AM - 1 Jul 12 via web · Details

45]

tambo_edited-1_normal.jpg

If you put up a massive cash offer for Weber, you run risk of giving up 5 picks for one year though.

45]

cgqrrwz3cspjmjlzqpka_normal.jpeg

@mc79hockey Yes, but I think a team that did it would be confident of its ability to re-sign him and can do so starting Jan. 1.

Archived