The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

If this is true, it confirms to me that Gillis is a complete f'ing moron and should be gone next year when Vancouver gets bounced again first round.

6 years, 4.6mil, NTC.... For a guy at 28 has played 2.5 years in the NHL? Seriously? What an absolute joke.

And you don't take market value into account at all I take it? Gillis landed one of the top3 most sought after Dman on the market at a significantly reduced price that fits into the teams salary structure.

You don't seem to understand supply and demand do you?

Garrison was getting a NTC no matter where he signed, he was getting 5-8 years no matter where he signed. The only thing up for discussion was the money he would get and Gillis got him to take a number that fits into our team structure and got the guy for close to a mill less than he was looking to sign for and what he was being offered by other teams.

If your only argument is one year, then how do you feel about Schneids getting 4mill when doesnt even have a season of play under his belt?

And its not 1 year with Garrsion, the offensive numbers are one year. He was their best shutdown Dman the year before and has the underlying numbers to prove it. He stacks up as one of the best Dman in the game in his own zone and has gotten better offensively every year.

If nothing else Garrison is going to help stabalize Edler with strong defensive play, give the PP one of the hardest shots in all of hockey and another shutdown Dman to help with the line matching AV loves. This is a perfect fit for guy like Garrison and hes going to be put in a position where hes shown the ability to excel while having a stronger core around him that will allow him to play against a lower level of competion than hes already proven he can handle.

I don't really care about Schneiders contract because he actually deserves it. He has excelled at every level he has played at, for the last 8 years. Garrison on the other hand, in his 10 years of playing pro hockey has really only had one decent year: Last Year.

Sorry, but if there is a market of only 3 or 4 decent D-men in the summer, that doesn't mean you overpay for one of them. Suter, Carle, Garrison, and Salo are probably the top of the UFA class this summer. Thats an absolutely awful crop of UFA's to choose from. This UFA summer is just littered with #4-7 D-men, with Suter legitimately being the ONLY #1 or #2 guy on the market.

Gillis broke under pressure to sign someone, when he should have just waited untill next year where there is a MUCH larger pool of UFA defensemen. Supply and demand? A good businessman should know NOT to buy into supply and demand and wait untill the demand is larger.

Seriously, just because Gillis signed a guy doesn't make him the saviour of the team. This signing is a complete gamble, and the fact that there is an NTC makes it even THAT much more of a gamble.

Maybe Garrison will prove me wrong, but I refuse to strap on those blinders so many people here have that every guy Gillis signs long term is awesome.

This is exactly what was needed. A young defensive defenceman to play with Edler that is tough and can take the initiative in his own end. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised with both how he and Edler progress. The more I think about if this was the best guy we could have got. Apparently he hits a lot and can play in front of the net. The offence is a bonus, and he will score with the Sedins. Finally a guy that knows how to get the puck on net.

If this is true, it confirms to me that Gillis is a complete f'ing moron and should be gone next year when Vancouver gets bounced again first round.

6 years, 4.6mil, NTC.... For a guy at 28 has played 2.5 years in the NHL? Seriously? What an absolute joke.

I don't really care about Schneiders contract because he actually deserves it. He has excelled at every level he has played at, for the last 8 years. Garrison on the other hand, in his 10 years of playing pro hockey has really only had one decent year: Last Year.

Sorry, but if there is a market of only 3 or 4 decent D-men in the summer, that doesn't mean you overpay for one of them. Suter, Carle, Garrison, and Salo are probably the top of the UFA class this summer. Thats an absolutely awful crop of UFA's to choose from. This UFA summer is just littered with #4-7 D-men, with Suter legitimately being the ONLY #1 or #2 guy on the market.

Gillis broke under pressure to sign someone, when he should have just waited untill next year where there is a MUCH larger pool of UFA defensemen. Supply and demand? A good businessman should know NOT to buy into supply and demand and wait untill the demand is larger.

Seriously, just because Gillis signed a guy doesn't make him the saviour of the team. This signing is a complete gamble, and the fact that there is an NTC makes it even THAT much more of a gamble.

Maybe Garrison will prove me wrong, but I refuse to strap on those blinders so many people here have that every guy Gillis signs long term is awesome.

Ignore Garrison's "one good year." For the last two years he's been one of the league's better shutdown defensemen, and he just got a contract that pays him like a shutdown defenseman. 4.6 mil? As a percentage of the cap that is less than we paid Big Willie in 06 and less than we paid Hamhuis two years ago. These shutdown guys aren't paid for their points and neither is Garrison so what the fudge "gamble" are you talking about? Any offense this guy provides is just a bonus and I think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised.

I seem to recall a few boneheads saying that Gillis overpaid Hamhuis two years ago as well. I think it was even referred to as a gamble! But the salary cap keeps going up and now Hamhuis's contract is a bargain. Locking up Garrison long-term just makes too much sense.

Furthermore, you have no way of knowing who is going to become a UFA in 2013 and who is going to be re-signed. A lot can happen in a year, and the truth of it is that every FA year seems to be weaker than the one before it, because teams are locking players up long term because you need to do that in a salary cap era. Most of the guys you'd want Gillis to "wait a year" for will be gone.

The difference is that Hamhuis had actualy played 6 solid NHL seasons prior to him signing with us.

The problem I have, and it's my own personal view that alot of Canucks fans don't share, is that this sort signing shows me that Gillis doesn't have the balls to make a gutsy move. Not Hodgson gutsy, but gutsy to make a change to his actual "core" that has been here for the last 6 years. The type of player I want brought in can only be brought in by trade, not by UFA. And with signing Garrison to that type of deal tells me that Gillis is settling, and not willing to change anything of the core. I don't feel like the core is good enough anymore, but thats an argument for a completely different time. But for argument's sake, I don't really give a rats ass about getting 1st place regular season. So you can save any retort involving President's Trophies.

But as I said before, maybe Garrison will in fact be what we need. But for right now, it's an incredibly huge gamble that we could be stuck with for the next 6 years.

Gillis wants to win now. Not completely disrupt team chemistry. Sure we could break up the main core and and grab a new player but why? We have what we need just a few outlying pieces which we will get. Trading Luongo is going to be a key thing this off-season and should be addressing our holes.

The difference is that Hamhuis had actualy played 6 solid NHL seasons prior to him signing with us.

The problem I have, and it's my own personal view that alot of Canucks fans don't share, is that this sort signing shows me that Gillis doesn't have the balls to make a gutsy move. Not Hodgson gutsy, but gutsy to make a change to his actual "core" that has been here for the last 6 years. The type of player I want brought in can only be brought in by trade, not by UFA. And with signing Garrison to that type of deal tells me that Gillis is settling, and not willing to change anything of the core. I don't feel like the core is good enough anymore, but thats an argument for a completely different time. But for argument's sake, I don't really give a rats ass about getting 1st place regular season. So you can save any retort involving President's Trophies.

But as I said before, maybe Garrison will in fact be what we need. But for right now, it's an incredibly huge gamble that we could be stuck with for the next 6 years.

I can see how it would be a gamble if you don't know the player in question and only see his stat line. The guy is a good defensive defenseman who has spent the last two years on the top pairing defending against the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, etc. He's not going to be another Keith Ballard. Even at the high point of his career it was always known Ballard had trouble in his own zone and would struggle on the top pairing. Garrison is a low-risk signing IMO, because 4.6 isn't that much any more.

I don't know what exactly you want to do shake up the core, and you're right, that is an argument for another time, but I think the Canucks have needed more defensive minded defensemen for donkey's years and I'm glad we finally got one. The last time we got one (Hamhuis) we lost our other one (Mitchell).

I can see how it would be a gamble if you don't know the player in question and only see his stat line. The guy is a good defensive defenseman who has spent the last two years on the top pairing defending against the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, etc. He's not going to be another Keith Ballard. Even at the high point of his career it was always known Ballard had trouble in his own zone and would struggle on the top pairing. Garrison is a low-risk signing IMO, because 4.6 isn't that much any more.

I don't know what exactly you want to do shake up the core, and you're right, that is an argument for another time, but I think the Canucks have needed more defensive minded defensemen for donkey's years and I'm glad we finally got one. The last time we got one (Hamhuis) we lost our other one (Mitchell).

Archived