Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

Signing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
746 replies to this topic

#721 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Last page.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#722 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,811 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I can see how it would be a gamble if you don't know the player in question and only see his stat line. The guy is a good defensive defenseman who has spent the last two years on the top pairing defending against the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, etc. He's not going to be another Keith Ballard. Even at the high point of his career it was always known Ballard had trouble in his own zone and would struggle on the top pairing. Garrison is a low-risk signing IMO, because 4.6 isn't that much any more.

I don't know what exactly you want to do shake up the core, and you're right, that is an argument for another time, but I think the Canucks have needed more defensive minded defensemen for donkey's years and I'm glad we finally got one. The last time we got one (Hamhuis) we lost our other one (Mitchell).

You have a very interesting take on this. I would also suggest that Garrison can play the point on the power play, and has a wicked shot. Given the right set of circumstances, this kid has the opportunity to shine. He just has to choose to do it.

#723 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

I can see how it would be a gamble if you don't know the player in question and only see his stat line. The guy is a good defensive defenseman who has spent the last two years on the top pairing defending against the likes of Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Malkin, etc. He's not going to be another Keith Ballard. Even at the high point of his career it was always known Ballard had trouble in his own zone and would struggle on the top pairing. Garrison is a low-risk signing IMO, because 4.6 isn't that much any more.

I don't know what exactly you want to do shake up the core, and you're right, that is an argument for another time, but I think the Canucks have needed more defensive minded defensemen for donkey's years and I'm glad we finally got one. The last time we got one (Hamhuis) we lost our other one (Mitchell).

I completely agree that Vancouver has needed more defensive minded defensemen, especially ones with size and can actually handle bigger opponents. And if what you say is true, then I hope for the best.

My big issue is the fact that he got a NTC, and is in a 6 year contract. This, again, completely handcuffs our team for the next number of years making it extremely difficult to move any of our defenders if anything were to happen (like, say, Garrison being a bust). Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, and likely Edler will all have NTC's by next summer. I do NOT like that.

HOWEVER, now who becomes our PP QB? I was actually really hoping Gillis would address this aspect over the defensive D aspect, as we don't really have any bona fide powerplay quarterbacks. Again, this is another reason why I am not so excited about this Garrison signing. The drop pass is incredibly excruciating to watch and I hope I don't have to see another one of those next year. Edler has not really shown the same skill at it as Ehrhoff, in fact noone on our D really has shown the ability to lead the rush on the powerplay. We saw against LA that our slower approach to gaining the zone wasn't as effective as in regular season.

#724 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

From what I've seen Garrison is more apt to join than lead the rush, and I agree we need pp qb. However, Garrison at least has a shot that he can get on net and that should help, especially since we have lost Salo but he wasn't going to be here forever - another reason I like this signing.

#725 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

Will you crybabies ever be happy?

ha ha Too true, Canucks fans sicken me. It's embarrassing, quite frankly.

#726 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Didn't know where to put this:

So excited to see him hit the ice, seems like he has been loving it so far since he is from White Rock, BC.

307mg00.jpg

#727 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,723 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

If its 6.5m MG should fire himself on the spot.

No it went down to 4.6 and people still hate him
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#728 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

I still think that by the All Star game people will be saying Garrison was the best UFA signing of the summer. When you factor in cap hit, contract duration and his talent Garrison is an excellent signing.

rundblad3_zpsc5e56154.png

#729 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Garrison wearing number 5 as a Canuck.

http://a5.sphotos.ak...879672640_n.jpg
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#730 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Garrison wearing number 5 as a Canuck.

http://a5.sphotos.ak...879672640_n.jpg

Old news.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#731 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

I wanna dig up the Canucks trade Pat White and I forget who else for Ehrhoff and I forget thread just to post that he is wearing #5.

I don't know if this counts as a necropost, but come on!!

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#732 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

I wanna dig up the Canucks trade Pat White and I forget who else for Ehrhoff and I forget thread just to post that he is wearing #5.

You mean Daniel Rahimi? He has played in Sweden ever since the trade Sharks' trade.

Didn't know where to put this:

So excited to see him hit the ice, seems like he has been loving it so far since he is from White Rock, BC.

I'm really excited to see what happens over the course of the next season with this guy. Buttock, I like your assessment and it is not unrealistic.

Not nitpicking on Garrison but he sure doesn't seem too well spoken, or sure of his answers, in an interview that didn't seem to be applying that much pressure. Oh well, as long as he clears the front of the damn net I don't care how he speaks!

Darth Kane I hope you are right. For naysayers of the signing, instead of thinking of Garrison as a flash in the pan, contract year, oppurtunist, think of him as someone who nearly doubled his point totals playing on an improved Panther team, and how he may further improve with an even better one (in us). At least he has just recently, or is just about entering, his prime.

#733 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

Garrison and Edler should look good on the PP. He doesn't replace Salo exactly, but we need a little more durability over the long haul. I like the signing and I think it will pan out. KCo will likely get some call ups this year for injury gaps. Ballard, Hamhuis, and Tanev all look a little awkward on our PP, in our system from what I've seen.

#734 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Dirty Garry!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#735 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

Dirty Garry!
Posted Image

Awe,
Some.

#736 AndyBernard

AndyBernard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

imagine someone went on vacation right after the Garrison signing with no access to NHL news hoping the Luongo and Doan situations were figured out... to come back today almost the exact same as we were after july first (plus some depth signings)...

would be seeing red
Posted Image
credit - VintageCanuck

#737 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

I had a dream that Garrison went Ballard on us and had a horrible year. I hope this doesn't happen...
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#738 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

imagine someone went on vacation right after the Garrison signing with no access to NHL news hoping the Luongo and Doan situations were figured out... to come back today almost the exact same as we were after july first (plus some depth signings)...

would be seeing red

That someone is me.

I left Canada on July 10th and came back two nights ago. Well..I at least had fun before learning this disappointing news.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#739 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

would be seeing red

That someone is me.

I left Canada on July 10th and came back two nights ago. Well..I at least had fun before learning this disappointing news.

Come on guys. It's not even the end of the summer. Disappointing news? Would you rather we just got rid of Luongo? Maybe that'll make your summer better.
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#740 AndyBernard

AndyBernard

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

That someone is me.

oh damn :(
Posted Image
credit - VintageCanuck

#741 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

I had a dream that Garrison went Ballard on us and had a horrible year. I hope this doesn't happen...

Your dream spanned a whole season??? jesus.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#742 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Come on guys. It's not even the end of the summer. Disappointing news? Would you rather we just got rid of Luongo? Maybe that'll make your summer better.

Did I say I want Canucks to get rid of Luongo? Wouldn't you be happier if the situation was figured out by now as well?
Is there a problem for being disappointed in the middle of August? Enlighten me why I must wait until at least the end of the summer before being disappointed.

I'll tell you what will make my summer better: Watching Canucks improving.
Posted Image

#743 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Did I say I want Canucks to get rid of Luongo? Wouldn't you be happier if the situation was figured out by now as well?
Is there a problem for being disappointed in the middle of August? Enlighten me why I must wait until at least the end of the summer before being disappointed.

I'll tell you what will make my summer better: Watching Canucks improving.

You seemed to imply you want Luongo gone.

Personally, I don't care if the situation has been fixed by now. I'd rather have the Canucks improve the right way. I don't want a trade to be forced just because some other fans want a trade to be forced.

So yes, I see a problem. No one here seems to be patient. Everyone wants their cotton candy before it comes out of the machine.For cotton candy to be made it needs to be made the right way. You don't want some ingredient that should be there not be there. The same thing happens with a trade.

It's mid August. There may be a lockout. The season hasn't started. Patience is a virtue.

#744 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

You seemed to imply you want Luongo gone.

Personally, I don't care if the situation has been fixed by now. I'd rather have the Canucks improve the right way. I don't want a trade to be forced just because some other fans want a trade to be forced.

So yes, I see a problem. No one here seems to be patient. Everyone wants their cotton candy before it comes out of the machine.For cotton candy to be made it needs to be made the right way. You don't want some ingredient that should be there not be there. The same thing happens with a trade.

It's mid August. There may be a lockout. The season hasn't started. Patience is a virtue.

I don't want the trade to be forced either. Me being impatient will have no effect what-so-ever on what Gillis will do with Luongo anyway. I was wishing for a proper trade to have happened by now especially since there were articles suggesting Florida was very interested. It's disappointing, however, that talk seems to be stalled for whatever reason it is.

Unless something happens this summer - signing or trades - we will have no choice but to hope for the best and play with what we have here. Hopefully Tanev is NHL ready now and Kesler can score 70+ points again. Also we should hope Garrison doesn't pull Ballard on us and Booth to start playing like he is expected to.

Be patient if you want. I wasn't even being that impatient anyway but what you think and what I think will have no effect on how Canucks will look like come this October.
Posted Image

#745 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

Your dream spanned a whole season??? jesus.

Well, I did have a dream of Kassian scoring the SC winning goal against Carolina in triple overtime in game 5. True story. It felt/looked so real.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#746 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I don't want the trade to be forced either. Me being impatient will have no effect what-so-ever on what Gillis will do with Luongo anyway. I was wishing for a proper trade to have happened by now especially since there were articles suggesting Florida was very interested. It's disappointing, however, that talk seems to be stalled for whatever reason it is.

Unless something happens this summer - signing or trades - we will have no choice but to hope for the best and play with what we have here. Hopefully Tanev is NHL ready now and Kesler can score 70+ points again. Also we should hope Garrison doesn't pull Ballard on us and Booth to start playing like he is expected to.

Be patient if you want. I wasn't even being that impatient anyway but what you think and what I think will have no effect on how Canucks will look like come this October.

And I'm glad Gillis doesn't let us affect things like that. Can you imagine if that were the case? lol

In all honesty, I like what we have now and would be fully content with starting with it. Kesler was playing through an injury still last year and his debut was premature. Garrison is actually from Vancouver whereas Ballard was from the states. Take it for what it is but I believe it makes a big difference as to what he will expect in comparison to Ballard (not to mention Ballard already had a reputation before coming here. Check out his hit on his own goalie).

There are always articles suggesting certain trades will happen. One thing I've noticed is Gillis doesn't usually do what those articles say so I've given up reading them expecting anything to come true.

#747 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

And I'm glad Gillis doesn't let us affect things like that. Can you imagine if that were the case? lol

In all honesty, I like what we have now and would be fully content with starting with it. Kesler was playing through an injury still last year and his debut was premature. Garrison is actually from Vancouver whereas Ballard was from the states. Take it for what it is but I believe it makes a big difference as to what he will expect in comparison to Ballard (not to mention Ballard already had a reputation before coming here. Check out his hit on his own goalie).

There are always articles suggesting certain trades will happen. One thing I've noticed is Gillis doesn't usually do what those articles say so I've given up reading them expecting anything to come true.

Well, I'm not necessarily upset with what we have right now either but I feel we need a more balanced team if we want to go far in the playoffs.

I don't hate Luongo and I don't doubt Luongo will be able to win the cup with us either. At the same time, you can't have two legitimate #1 goaltenders either. Considering their ages, I feel it would be better for the team to keep Schneider over Luongo, if we have to choose and Luongo is a caliber goaltender that could get us a premium return. I feel this trade is the only option for us to really get us anything, as there really are no players left to sign.

It seems you're more of an optimist than I am. I do hope you're right so that I will still be cheering for Canucks in the mid-June of 2013. ;)

Edited by Yeria, 17 August 2012 - 10:58 AM.

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.