Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Report) Canucks looking for center

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#61 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

I would love to get Jason Arnott. He's 6'5 220 and he put up 34 points last year, which is not too bad at all. His last salary was 2.5 per so hopefully he would take around 1.5 to 2M.

#62 Hedman

Hedman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

It's a risk/reward type thing.

You could say the risk is high because of his history with injuries, but his salary would be low, so IMO the risk is medium. But the thing is, the reward could be very high.

If you're the team that jumps on this guy and he has his first full season of being healthy, it would be a very valuable signing. The guy has a ton of size and skill and is still only 24. Former 8th overall pick to boot.

Could be a prototypical Gillis signing.

As i said, i know he's a real talent, but considering we doesn't have that much cap-space left to spend atm, im not sure if i would take the Mueller risk right now at least, even if it's just 1m/1year. But if we can dump some bad contracts via trades, then maybe. Or if we trade Luongo for a good prospect with a low salary like Bjugstad.

Not sure if Gillis really would take the risk though considering how much of an injury-prone he really is. Even if it's just a "project". I think he wants safer options that has a good chance of staying healthy, something he seems to value high in players

Edited by Hedman, 01 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#63 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

Mueller is very injury-prone, not a good replacement for an injured player...
Posted Image

#64 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I'm sure it's just insurance in case Schroeder can't cut it.

I would imagine we try and and acquire one in the Luongo trade. Like others have said, Bjugstad would be nice.

Kids, I love how people on here keep saying Bjugstad (who is a very good prospect) but no one has seen him play no knows if he's nhl ready (not to mention he's in US College).....

Even if we get him in a trade he"ll likely finish school or need time in the minors....he's not the solution for Kesler's injury

#65 Bill F-ing Murray

Bill F-ing Murray

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I am probably alone on this boat but wouldnt mind Jokinen at the right price. Pass first center that would be good fit with Kes

mentioned quite often on both sportsnet and TSN today... so it could work 50+ points x9seasons

Posted Image

“Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,”

I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me.I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.”

Ricky Gervais

#66 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Kids, I love how people on here keep saying Bjugstad (who is a very good prospect) but no one has seen him play no knows if he's nhl ready (not to mention he's in US College).....

Even if we get him in a trade he"ll likely finish school or need time in the minors....he's not the solution for Kesler's injury

I would say that based on his size and skating ability alone, he's probably more ready for the NHL than Schroeder.

He built his game on being a defensive forward, so he's already got that advantage too.

Kesler spent time on the Canucks as a 20 year old, and from the sounds of it he has a similar skillset to Kesler's, but is more talented offensively.

Edited by DeNiro, 01 July 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#67 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

I think Olie would just end up on Kes's right wing, which still leaves 3rd hole. He is too offensive to stay on the 3rd line.

#68 Kulikov

Kulikov

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

I'm sure it's just insurance in case Schroeder can't cut it.

I would imagine we try and and acquire one in the Luongo trade. Like others have said, Bjugstad would be nice.

I'm thinking we fill this need in a trade with florida as well, bjugstad or mathias. Of course this means Manny is going with Lu to florida which is fine. Don't get why Canucks would be looking at free agents to fill this need, there is nothing.

Edited by shevanel, 01 July 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#69 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

I cant really think of a good FA 3rd line center, probably via Luongo trade?

Luongo for Bjugstad and Theodore??
Bjugstad is a 6'4 Center who can fill that 3rd line center position. Maybe we could experiment with him on the 2nd line until Kesler is back. Get Bjugstad and sign Olli Jokinin for 2 mil/yr to be the 3rd line center. Then when Kesler is back:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Jokinen-Kesler-Booth
Higgins-Bjugstad-Raymond
Kassian-Lappiere-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts-Connauton

Schneider
Theodore

Not too shabby eh?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

QUOTE (pacecar @ Aug 2 2009, 11:53 AM) Sheep are ok but horses, ewww.

Posted Image

#70 CanucksinVic

CanucksinVic

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

I know I'll get flamed for this but whatever. Why don't we just re-up Reinprecht for less and give him a chance. I seem to recall he was a pretty high percentage guy for faceoffs and solid defensively. I know the stats aren't great, but with Raymond might get a few more points. (38 pts for his last full NHL season for a 3rd liner isn't too bad)

Edited by CanucksinVic, 01 July 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#71 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

I know I'll get flamed for this but whatever. Why don't we just re-up Reinprecht for less and give him a chance. I seem to recall he was a pretty high percentage guy for faceoffs and solid defensively. I know the stats aren't great, but with Raymond might get a few more points.

Reinprecht can't hack it in NHL anymore, thats why you will get flamed for this. Its similar to bringing redden back to the NHL. Not gonna happen.

Posted Image

QUOTE (Rye and Kesler @ Jun 29 2009, 10:24 PM) Where is Celebrities? I am tryin to find it on Club vibes but i can't find it. Is it relatively new? Sounds good though we will have to check it out.

I think Germany is the exception because they should know how to use their own balls.

Posted Image

#72 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,511 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:00 PM

OH MAN
SICK BURN

Not really. But i didn't have a cute internet wiseguy picture to go with it.

Maybe Beavis as Cornholio? Something like that.

"I am the grreat Cornholio! I need TP. For my bung-hole! Hehe. Bung-holio!"

But i'm dating myself.

Anyway, what was the point again? Oh yeah, Malhotra. Nope, we can't pretend that eye injury had no effect on our center depth. Sorry.

TOML
Posted Image

#73 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,634 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Trading Raymond for a 3rd line center may be an option. We already have enough wingers in the bottom 6, and we clearly need to upgrade a top 6 winger spot.

Might be an option, but I'm not sure who's available.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#74 Colinisacanuck

Colinisacanuck

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I still think we need a legit #1 D-man..wasn't that one of our big problems in the first place?

Although i agree that we need a LEGIT #1 Defencemen, unless we trade Edler++ for one we won't get one. We definetly aren't getting Suter, and if Suter leaves Nashville Weber might not re-sign their, so maybe Edler++ for Weber? I don't want to split up bieksa and hamhuis, and hamhuis is very underrated, very good all-round defencemen.

I'm thinking for a third line center, we sign Jokinen or Arnot. For a top 6 forward(RW) to play with Kes and Booth, a pure playmaker. I thought we should have went after PA Parentaeu since he is a pure pass first type of player, but if we dont do something within the next few days i think we might just be waiting for Shane Doan.

#75 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

I would love to get Jason Arnott. He's 6'5 220 and he put up 34 points last year, which is not too bad at all. His last salary was 2.5 per so hopefully he would take around 1.5 to 2M.

His expiry date is long past due. I would have taken him when he was playing for Nashville but he wouldn't improve our team enough to justify signing him.

#76 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,511 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Arnott. Langkow. Hudler. Jokinen. Moore. Morrison. Halpern. Wellwood.

I wonder if JA has enough left in the tank. Maybe him and JL would come as a package deal again. Or has Arnott re-signed already?
Posted Image

#77 DefCon1

DefCon1

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,330 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

I wonder if JA has enough left in the tank. Maybe him and JL would come as a package deal again. Or has Arnott re-signed already?

Nope. Nope. Nope. Yes. Yes. Nope. Nope. Nope.
Moore might fit on the 3rd line well but it will be pretty ironic since his bro was and is the number 1 public enemy in Vancouver ever since the Bertuzzi incident. Although Chokinen is not too shabby for a 3rd line center.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#78 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,511 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Definitely pros and cons to Dominic Moore coming here. Other than the obvious Bertuzzi connection. Awesome in TB's last playoff run. Meh in SJ's. Personal issues.
Posted Image

#79 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,512 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

PETER MUELLER is still out there, why not. All day and went unsigned, can clearly be had for cheap. 1 million 1 year, minimal risk.

"Money ball" type.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#80 AlexanderEdler23

AlexanderEdler23

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:19 PM

Iono if anyone else has mentioned him but I would love Gilbert Brule for 1mil as a depth player, sort of what Ebbett was for us this year and what Tambillini was the year before that.
c.a.n.u.c.k.s.1

#81 Phamda

Phamda

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Iono if anyone else has mentioned him but I would love Gilbert Brule for 1mil as a depth player, sort of what Ebbett was for us this year and what Tambillini was the year before that.

Regarding the 13th forward, I get the feeling that is Gillis' plan for Reinprecht.

#82 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

It's a risk/reward type thing.

You could say the risk is high because of his history with injuries, but his salary would be low, so IMO the risk is medium. But the thing is, the reward could be very high.

If you're the team that jumps on this guy and he has his first full season of being healthy, it would be a very valuable signing. The guy has a ton of size and skill and is still only 24. Former 8th overall pick to boot.

Could be a prototypical Gillis signing.

Said this in another thread. Mueller is definitely a Gillis project. The kind of guy he goes after.

If we got him and then managed to get Bjustgad, Theodore and a pick for Lu
I'd be very happy.

#83 funkyfresh

funkyfresh

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

With kes out thats a big hole to fill....With Garrison signed and with lu traded we'll have roughly 9 million to sign a back up and a top six forward...haha I think we all stressed out for no reason.....I feel sheepish.

since kesler is going to be out wont that also affect the cap?

#84 AlexanderEdler23

AlexanderEdler23

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:32 PM

Regarding the 13th forward, I get the feeling that is Gillis' plan for Reinprecht.

so you think Gillis will resign Reinprecht for that 13th forward? Interesting, he looked pretty good for the Wolves this past year.
c.a.n.u.c.k.s.1

#85 sedinz

sedinz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

Bjugstad
Mueller

#86 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,926 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

Not a very inpsiring group of center UFAs

Hank
Kesler
Lapierre
Malhotra
Schroeder
Gaunce
Mallet
(Bjugstad?)

Not that urgent to sign anyone via UFA - not many potential upgrades over giving Schroeder a shot.

I'd be interested in Jokinen at 1 or 2 years max, low cap hit (at his current or lower cap hit ), and willing to play a depth role - in other words not that likely.

As a longshot I might take a chance on Brule at half or less than his current cap hit - good depth/short term/insurance option with potential to surprise- physical guy for his size, and could be interesting to see on a line with Hansen and Higgins.

Otherwise, try to add Bjugstad in the Luongo deal, and go into the season as is. Can always make a move later if necessary, but between Lappy, Malhotra and Schroeder the Canucks bottom six will be just as well off once Kesler returns as it was going into last season with Hodgson.

I'd say use the bulk of the existing cap space to go after Doan.

#87 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

Definitely pros and cons to Dominic Moore coming here. Other than the obvious Bertuzzi connection. Awesome in TB's last playoff run. Meh in SJ's. Personal issues.

I think his wife was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer...
Anyway, I can't see him coming to Vancouver given the connection to the Bertuzzi incident.
Then again... Brad May ended up in Colorado
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#88 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

Trading Raymond for a 3rd line center may be an option. We already have enough wingers in the bottom 6, and we clearly need to upgrade a top 6 winger spot.

Might be an option, but I'm not sure who's available.

Ya, Cause so many teams want Raymond
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#89 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:47 AM

Nick Bjugstad :bigblush:

Am I the only one totally confused as to how to pronounce this kids last name? BE-JUG-STAD? Am I close? lol
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#90 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

TOML

TOML

Sorry, just finishing off your posts for you.

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.