The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Terms on Semin

Everyone who says he's not a character guy has never played or coached him. Anyone who coaches him and plays with him is kind about him. The on;y rude thing I heard a former teammate of his say was he could be the best player in the NHL if he tried his hardest everyday that seems like a bit of a compliment if he'a put in the right environment. He has a snipers shot and was descent this year on Washington defensively in Hunters system. He can improve. If we meet Boston he can do some damage on the scoreboard.

could help in the shootout

4.5 to 5 million, 2 years sounds perfect. His shot is still one of the best in the league and his skill is rediculously underated - I'd say he's up there in the skill levels of Bobby Ryan and Niklas Backstrom, not quite Malkin/Crosby/Ovechkin but very close.

Semin would explode with the Sedins. They don't necessarily need a gritty winger if they have Semin who can get open and get his shot away. Plus, another superstar on their line would draw attention away from the twins. Right now it's pretty simple to defend our top line, 2 defencemen watch the Sedins and a forward stays on Burrows, but with Semin you can't leave a forward to watch one of the 3 deadly forwards.

Anything over 4.5 would be not worth it imo. We need players who play with passion to win the cup, and Semin definitely doesn't fit that bill, even IF he can put up 60+ pts. He'll just disappear when we need him most and it'll be a waste.

To all of you saying Semin is a cancer, I didn't know all of you played for the Washington Capitals? Semin may or may not be a cancer in the dressing room, I'm not defending him, I'm just keeping a level head for CDC. Just because some goof from TSN says otherwise everyone gets it firm in their minds that Semin is a cancer, not everything on TV is fact.

I agree with the above statement that playing in a winning environment and playing with people who really care for the club might change Semin for the better. He's an elite talent and if he played alongside the Sedins he'd pocket 40 goals easy. He'd also be the purest sniper on our team (Daniel Sedin is not a pure sniper although he can shoot).

To answer the question I'd offer Semin this contract:

2 years/10 million (5 million a year) with bonuses. Bonuses = .5 million for 40 goals, .5 million for 50 goals

Basically if he scores 50 goals he gets 6 million. Seems like money is his motivation, might as well take advantage of that. On top of that he'd be earning less then the twins which seems to be important for Mike Gillis.

I dont understand why some people here criticize Semin's "cat-like" fight with Stall. The guy is not a fighter, yet he stood up for himself.

It's stupid to criticize a highly skilled player for his fighting style when we have 2 players in our top line who DOES NOT fight.

Who said you have to fight like Rypien or Prust, lets be reasonable here. If he signs here, he'd be automatically the best pure goal scorer in the team. We have people like H. Sedin, Bieksa and Hamhuis to point him into the right direction and help him with his attitude or character.

Everyone who says he's not a character guy has never played or coached him. Anyone who coaches him and plays with him is kind about him. The on;y rude thing I heard a former teammate of his say was he could be the best player in the NHL if he tried his hardest everyday that seems like a bit of a compliment if he'a put in the right environment. He has a snipers shot and was descent this year on Washington defensively in Hunters system. He can improve. If we meet Boston he can do some damage on the scoreboard.

could help in the shootout

Archived