The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Salo resigned.....

kj29

I'm going to miss Salo, but he's past his prime. Besides being injury prone, Edler now has the hardest shot on our team, which is what Salo was known for throughout his tenure with the Canucks.

Gillis made the right move, and Salo gets to rejoin Öhlund in Tampa Bay at the very least.

It was time to give our defense a new look. As much as I love our boy Salo, it was good for both sides that he moved on. He's making some pretty good coin with TB which is nice to see.

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts is our 7th, with Connauton and Sauve hopefully being able to get a few games in as well.

Looks pretty good to me. Ballard's contract doesn't bug me as much anymore after seeing what some of these FA's have been gettting this offseason.

<p>

No,Bieksa's salary is over payment.

Salo made two lousy million dollars last year and Bieksa made 4.5 million in bonuses,alone, and $11.5 million in total pay.

Two million dollars and he led the team in points for D men,logging up to 25 minutes a night at his age.

Nothing like rewarding your veterans with a proper pay day for their allegiance and the fact they were already GIllis hosed.

What a joke.

Upset to see him go, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

He was our best most consistent and underrated defensemen. I'm truly gonna miss him, the core players from when I first started liking the Canucks in the early 00's is slowly disappearing.

Good luck Salo and I hope you win a cup applaud.gif TB fans are VERY lucky, enjoy the boomer of a shot and a steady well positioned defensemen.

It's funny how many last summer thought Salo should retire. Fast forward one year and suddenly so many are pissed that he's signed with another team.

Honestly, I can understand Gillis only wanting to sign him year by year at this point. He'd be a great depth d-man at this point but given his age and injury history I wouldn't sign him for more than one year either.

<p>

How could Bieksa make $4.5m in bonuses when he's not even eligible for bonuses? So where did you see this $11.5m for Bieksa garbage? Just to enlighten you, only entry level contracts can have bonus packages. This is Bieksa's third contract. Or two past his entry level deal.

His five year deal is broken down as follows:

7 + 4.5 + 5 + 4 + 2.5 = 23m

23/5 = 4.6m cap hit

Although a team can call money a signing bonus it has to be included in the cap hit. So I'll ask again: Where is this 11.5m BS of yours come from? Drunk, dreaming, or just plain pulling crap out your arse again?

It's funny how many last summer thought Salo should retire. Fast forward one year and suddenly so many are pissed that he's signed with another team.

Honestly, I can understand Gillis only wanting to sign him year by year at this point. He'd be a great depth d-man at this point but given his age and injury history I wouldn't sign him for more than one year either.

Garrison has one year of high end hockey under his belt.

He averages two hits per game.

He has youth and size but as usual,another six year contract is the underlying weakness of this contract.

Unproven D on a six year deal.

Proven Sami can't get two or one and a good bonus with the caveat he will be in a mentorship role within the .org if he hits the wall.

Retain your character.Sami wanted to retire here.

Oh,well.Fun in the sun is ok,too.Good luck,Sami.

Garrison has one year of high end hockey under his belt.

He averages two hits per game.

He has youth and size but as usual,another six year contract is the underlying weakness of this contract.

Unproven D on a six year deal.

Proven Sami can't get two or one and a good bonus with the caveat he will be in a mentorship role within the .org if he hits the wall.

Retain your character.Sami wanted to retire here.

Oh,well.Fun in the sun is ok,too.Good luck,Sami.

Well,Gillis has no problems throwing 20 million at players that don't even want to play here or 12 year deals that last two years.

We don't know what Gillis offered and whether it was even equitable.

My point is the .org should find a way to allow a Canuck warrior and veteran like Sami to serve out his last year or two years here in the city he fought for.

If that was the vantage taken by mgmt they would have found a way to make it work.

If it is all about character and building the franchise and honor and commitment and all the talking points we hear so frequently when the corporate spin is in motion,this would have been one Canuck that deserves to have been retained for the extra half a million.

They just made a six year deal worth how much for Garrison-unproven and a perennial five goal scorer for his entire career but this last one.

So,they risked a six year deal on an unproven guy that they need to score goals and won't offer a two year deal to a proven veteran that was grossly underpaid here?

Good for Sami to go where somebody wants him but the optics aren't great for this Canucks fan.

Well,Gillis has no problems throwing 20 million at players that don't even want to play here or 12 year deals that last two years.

We don't know what Gillis offered and whether it was even equitable.

My point is the .org should find a way to allow a Canuck warrior and veteran like Sami to serve out his last year or two years here in the city he fought for.

If that was the vantage taken by mgmt they would have found a way to make it work.

If it is all about character and building the franchise and honor and commitment and all the talking points we hear so frequently when the corporate spin is in motion,this would have been one Canuck that deserves to have been retained for the extra half a million.

They just made a six year deal worth how much for Garrison-unproven and a perennial five goal scorer for his entire career but this last one.

So,they risked a six year deal on an unproven guy that they need to score goals and won't offer a two year deal to a proven veteran that was grossly underpaid here?

Good for Sami to go where somebody wants him but the optics aren't great for this Canucks fan.

Nobody knows what the terms and salary offers were for Sami from the Canucks.

Early on July 1st we were told Gillis' priority-his number one priority-was to sign Salo.

Guess that is where the smoke really was coming from.

He was top 4 last year and looked a lot better than Bieksa and Eddy for the most part.

TB overpaid for Salo. I love the guy and am sad to see him go but he is not worth 7.5 mil for two years. With his injury issues in the past and his age becoming a factor i wouldn't have paid more then 2 mil/yr for 2 yrs or give him a one year worth 3 just to see how he does. I think TB fans in the long run will not appreciate Salo for what he bring to the table and will think he was a bad signing.

Capgeek.You are such an enlightening mass of humanity,Baggins.When it says 7m salary and 4.5 m bonus I count $11.5.Maybe it is 4.6 and a 2.4 signing bonus but ,whatever.I just read it,I don't write it.

http://capgeek.com/p...play.php?id=663

Bieksa's deal was for five years at $23 million, a cap hit of $4.6 million. That's $1.1 million more than he made last year, but he said he was willing to take a hometown discount in order to re-sign. Plus, a significant signing bonus means he will make $7 million next season.

LENGTH: 5 YEAR(S) VALUE: $23,000,000 TYPE: STANDARD EXPIRY STATUS: UFA SEASON AHL SALARY NHL SALARY P. BONUSES S. BONUS CAP HIT 2011-12 $7,000,000 $7,000,000 $0 $4,500,000 $4,600,000 2012-13 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 $0 $3,500,000 $4,600,000 2013-14 $5,000,000 $5,000,000 $0 $1,000,000 $4,600,000 2014-15 $4,000,000 $4,000,000 $0 $1,000,000 $4,600,000 2015-16 $2,500,000 $2,500,000 $0 $0

$4,600,000

Stubborn? You realize if Salo resigns, that's an over-35 contract, which means the cap hit stays on past his retirement.

3.0-3.75M to spend on nothing is stupid. Gilis made the right move by letting salo go if he was asking for a multi-yr deal.

If it turned out that Garrison was staying in Florida afterall or if he insisted on $6mil per or something silly like that, then Salo would've been retained.

As it were, Salo already signed last season for a discount. That was to prove that he still had some hockey left, imo. Which he did, at least enough to convince Yzerman, who is desperate for immediate top-4 help.

There's nothing to do but wish Salo well and welcome in our replacement. Oh, and i guess complain about everything too, but that'll never stop, no matter the topic/issue. Regards.

TOML

Archived