The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Salo resigned.....

kj29

Get over it, Would of loved to see Salo stay and retire here. He should of been a Canuck for the rest of his career

But this is the business. Asking for two years and an increase of 1.75 million dollars in salary was too much for MG especially with what he wants to do this year, get a little younger

Figured I'd put my breakdown of how Salo was underpaid last season in this thread too. Basically, I was "juking the stats" so even a caveman could understand Salo was underpaid.

Salo played in 84.1% of games last season at a 2M price tag. Since he was top 4, and we know the Canucks had a losing record without him in the lineup, I think it fair to say he was underpaid.

Let's look at an average top 4 Dman getting payed quite a bit. Garrison is at 5.5M for this year. Let's divide that by half to be fair, basically saying that Salo is HALF the D-man Garrison was last year (not true at all). 2.75M would have been fair for Salo last year, however let's take out the 15.9% of games he missed last year to be fair to what he was actually worth per game.

We still have 2.31M

Now we need to factor in a non-mathematical factor which would be the intangibles he brings to the ice on a game to game basis. His big shot, puck movement, defensive positioning, his cornering guys off into the boards and stopping rushes, his consistency.

If anyone has the teams winning % without Salo in the lineup Vs. with him.

All I could find is this quote from a Canadian article publishes back in Jan 23, 2011 -The Canucks are barely a .500 team when Salo's out of the lineup

If this is in fact true, then what are we with him the line up? Let's say we're .599 (stats from 2011-2012 show we are overall better than that, but just to be completely flawless mathematically let's say we are only 9.99% better with him in the lineup....we are better than that but for the sake of the argument)

We'll take the 2.23M salary and factor in the X factor which is: 9.99%< X just to be safe and honest

2.23M x .0999 + 2.23 = FINAL ANSWER

2.461 M/ year

Lastly, let's end with this beautiful tribute to Salo.

23022098.jpg

Grossly underpaid? Nah. Underpaid last year? Yeah. Even whilst being super conservative with %s and going completely under what was fair to Salo, we still come out with OVER 2M/YEAR salary. Poor Salo. Well, not anymore. Tampa is a nice gig. I hear they have Nude Beaches there.

Archived