Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Do you think Salo was underpaid last year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
115 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think Salo was underpaid last year? (157 member(s) have cast votes)

1. Yes (102 votes [64.97%])

Percentage of vote: 64.97%

2. No (25 votes [15.92%])

Percentage of vote: 15.92%

3. Just right (30 votes [19.11%])

Percentage of vote: 19.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

opinions/suggestions/thoughts please :)

EDIT: IMO i think he should have at least earned about 2.5 mil last year

EDIT: he was paid 1.8 mil last year

Edited by lappy40, 01 July 2012 - 09:39 PM.

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#2 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

No, given how inconsistent his health has been in previous years I find his salary was quite fair.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#3 yogolol

yogolol

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

How much was he paid? You should put that in the OP
Watch my hockey tributes! http://www.youtube.c...urjesuss/videos

#4 kj29

kj29

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:40 PM

How much was he paid? You should put that in the OP

umm sorry...

but wat does OP stand for anyways...

o5udj8.jpg

medium.jpg CDCFL medium.jpg CDCEHL medium.jpg CDCSTHS

*Commissioner of CDCYHL*

#5 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Salo made two million dollars last year and was top 4,leading all d men in (PP goals) scoring while only playing in 69 games.

Considering he has been $$ hosed the last two years,while carrying the team in the post season with his play and production I still think Gillis is cutting corners on LONG TIME Canucks like Salo and Burr,while lavishing Canuck nobodies like Sundin.

Reward your historical heart n soul guys like Sami.Don't discard them for a half a million bucks.

Gilis fail.

Edited by nuck nit, 02 July 2012 - 02:06 AM.

#6 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,457 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

Defencemen are earning more and more money lately, so based on how he played last season he deserved 3 million.
Posted Image

#7 Leahpar

Leahpar

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

Most of our players are underpaid

#8 Spencer Drew

Spencer Drew

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

umm sorry...

but wat does OP stand for anyways...

"original poster" bro
Posted Image

#9 SILLY GOOSE

SILLY GOOSE

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Dude he was making up for an injury plagued season. He's getting older and slowing down considerably. Not a PP force like heused to be. His choice to go elsewhere for more $$$. Wish him the best.

0au3Jj.gif

#10 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

Salo made two million dollars last year and was top 4,leading all d men in scoring while only playing in 69 games.

Considering he has been $$ hosed the last two years,while carrying the team in the post season with his play and production I still think Gillis is cutting corners on LONG TIME Canucks like Salo and Burr,while lavishing Canuck nobodies like Sundin.

Reward your historical heart n soul guys like Sami.Don't discard them for a half a million bucks.

Gilis fail.

x2

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#11 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,722 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

I'd say he was just right. He was due for a raise but Tampa Bay did overpay.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#12 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

Most of our players are underpaid

Bieksa - $7 million and $4.5 bonus

Hamhuis- $5 m and $2 bonus

Edler- $3.25 m

Ballard - $4.2 m

Salo-$2 million dollars.

Led all Canuck D men in points.Wrong,sorry,PP goals.

Played top 4-logging up to 25 minutes per night in ice time.

I don't think Bieksa is worth 6 sami Salo's.

Gillis ranks so low by throwing Salo he gets a Gillis = Epic Fail.

Edited by nuck nit, 02 July 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#13 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

Players mostly take paycuts to play on championship contending teams. Salos refusal to sign here is a sign that he doesn't think the team is a true contender.

I think expecting players to take paycuts to play on a winner can't work for the canucks right now. They gotta work with what they have and build championship swagger. But Lu's meltdowns and sheltering, trading away pure offensive players, lack of young player development, cutting raymonds salary rather than trading him and the first round exit don't inspire confidence.

If a player is signing to win, objectively I don't think the Canucks are on top. I think they do have to shake up the core and move at least one piece to get an elite forward and defenseman or else they're a good but not great team. The alternative is better coaching which is being sheltered right now by management.

#14 megakaryocyte

megakaryocyte

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

Although he is by far one of the most dedicated Canucks and I will always be a big fan of his, I don't think we did a disservice to him by not matching his offers elsewhere. If he wants more money, and that is not something the team can afford given all of the factors that go into making such a complex decision, then it's better to part ways in the interest of both parties. Good luck to Salo. I hope that Tampa treats you well and takes into consideration that you need a day off here and there.

#15 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

He wasn't underpaid, as much as everyone else was overpaid.

#16 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,676 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

Yes. Top-4 d-men, esp. veteran ones, make more than $2mil.

Tampa had a hole on their defense. Can't blame them for giving Salo real top-4 money to man their pp.

That being said, while it'll be odd to see him in a TB jersey, it's been a good run for Sami as a Canuck.

TOML
Posted Image

#17 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

It was known that he took a large discount... He even admitted it.. I guess he felt that he didn't earn his past contract due to all the injuries and wanted to give back.. Plus our team had cap issues and it was needed if he wanted to stay..

#18 HockeyHobo73

HockeyHobo73

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

I miss Salo already

Edited by HockeyHobo73, 01 July 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#19 Fell

Fell

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

Salo-$2 million dollars.

Led all Canuck D men in points.

What? When?
Loyal Canuck fan since July 28, 1997

#20 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Considering how shaky we were when he wasn't in the team, definitely underpaid. But at the end of the day it is the player's idea of his own worth that counts.

I think Sami found an environment where he was loved and appreciated and he paid to stay here.........that was good for us.

At the end of this season I think he saw the writing on the wall as his career drew to a close and decided to increase his retirement fund while his stock was high..............I also think Tampa will win a SC before we do, and I think Sami will be part of that. Good luck to him.
Kevin.jpg

#21 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

Players mostly take paycuts to play on championship contending teams. Salos refusal to sign here is a sign that he doesn't think the team is a true contender.

I think expecting players to take paycuts to play on a winner can't work for the canucks right now. They gotta work with what they have and build championship swagger. But Lu's meltdowns and sheltering, trading away pure offensive players, lack of young player development, cutting raymonds salary rather than trading him and the first round exit don't inspire confidence.

If a player is signing to win, objectively I don't think the Canucks are on top. I think they do have to shake up the core and move at least one piece to get an elite forward and defenseman or else they're a good but not great team. The alternative is better coaching which is being sheltered right now by management.

Agree with most of this.
Kevin.jpg

#22 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:37 AM

Salo agreed to a one year term of $2 million for the 2011-12 season because he was negotiating from a position of weakness. He wanted to win a Cup, and he felt being with the Canucks was his best chance (based upon the 2010-11 season). He was also coming off what was, even for him, a bad injury year, so he took a hit on the term and the amount. Sadly, the Canucks didn't win this past season.

Feeling stronger after last year's perfromance (Salo did play well in most of the 69 games in which he played), Salo wanted an increase in pay and term. He and Gillis could not agree to the length of term/compensation and so Salo moved on.

Good luck to him in TB. However, unless TB gets a goalie I suspect that the best chance Salo will have to win a Cup with TB is if they trade him at the deadline to some other team looking for depth d-men.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#23 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

What? When?

This year Salo led all Canucks D men in PP goals,despite playing in only 69 games.

2007-2008 -led all D men in scoring despite only playing 63 games.

2008-2009 -led all D men in playoff goals.

#24 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

Salo remember prior to signing the contract had had some major injury issues - remember achilles heal? When he did come back remember all the other top 4-5 guys including hoff were playing really well. Salo wanted one more crack at the cup and as others said he was negotiating from a point of weakness.

Van wasn't willing to pay Salo the money nor the term. This is strictly for Salo a money thing cause he must know that Tampa is not a legit contender

Sad to see him go but this is a business at the end of the day. End of an era on the backend

#25 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

One more point my favorite thing about Salo was that everyone expected him to get injured, he usually did, and nobody panicked about it. I don't think there has ever been a van player like that.

#26 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

Does anyone else think Mattias Ohlund was a huge factor for Salo when he was deciding on where to go?
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#27 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Salo remember prior to signing the contract had had some major injury issues - remember achilles heal? When he did come back remember all the other top 4-5 guys including hoff were playing really well. Salo wanted one more crack at the cup and as others said he was negotiating from a point of weakness.

Van wasn't willing to pay Salo the money nor the term. This is strictly for Salo a money thing cause he must know that Tampa is not a legit contender

Sad to see him go but this is a business at the end of the day. End of an era on the backend

Salo is getting another crack at the cup-with Tampa.Most every player wants as many cracks as they can,I would think.

This is not strctly a money thing as Gillis is quoted as wanting Salo back and Sami stated at the end of last year that he still felt good enough to continue contributing at a high level.

Salo was playing 21-23 minutes every night in a top 4 role,playing up to 25 minutes a night.

He was paid $2 million for scoring the most PP goals on a team where third liner Ballard made $4.2 and first liner KB made $11.5.

Gillis should consider whom he has underpaid and whom are the Canucks with the most heart when making roster decisions.

#28 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

You would think Tampa would be gun shy about big money signings of older, injury prone, Canuck defence-man?

#29 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

No hockey player is underpaid.

Posted Image

SYvE9NH.gif

#30 StenMan.EXE

StenMan.EXE

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

Dude he was making up for an injury plagued season.  He's getting older and slowing down considerably.  Not a PP force like heused to be.  His choice to go elsewhere for more $$$.  Wish him the best.

Agreed.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.