The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Salo was underpaid last year?

kj29

Do you think Salo was underpaid last year?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So you would have signed them till they're 40. That would be three till death do us part contracts on the team.

As far as I'm concerned Gillis got them at a reasonable price. The best part about the deal is the expiry date. They'll be 34 when the current contract runs out. Which means their next deal still comes off the books if they retire prior to the contracts completion. As far as I'm concerned Gillis made the right choice. You just never know at what point in a players 30's their decline will begin nor how quick it will be. Better safe than sorry.

It would have been 2 contracts like that. With CS waiting there is no way in hell i would have given out a contract like that to Lou. In the end it comes down to evaluating talent. Given how the twins have performed it's fair to say Gillis went the wrong way with who to give the lifetime contract to. Now we cant get a decent return on Lou. Nothing surprising, you always have "at the time" or "better safe thab sorry" to hang your hat on.

Yeah it does because I was curious about it.

Glad Gillis didn't make that deal. I hate long term contracts.

They're good when they're signed but I just cringe at the long termness(yes I made that word up) of them. For all the complaing about Luongo's deal this would have been the same. Especially if they start to have a drop off.

Salo was often injured and almost one injury away from a longer term one. Do NOT get me wrong, I really liked him and more than most other D-Men on the team, but his proneness to being at the wrong place at the wrong moment is almost freakish.

I think he has every right to earn whatever he can wherever his skill set is needed. This team however should not have had to have depended upon him as much as they did.

The twins don't play a style like Kesler that's really hard on their body. They keep themselves in great shape so there is no reason to believe that they coulnd't be effective into their late 30's. Another factor is if they walk, who do we have to replace them. Point a game guys are pretty rare and obviously they will be our top line for years to come. i think it's pretty safe to say they will be effective players for a few years to come. comes down to evaluating the talent.

That would be nice for his team but is it actually good for Rinne? Lou's $1 million years are in his 40's which really aren't intended to be played or paid. The assumption is he'll retire and those years and cap hit come off the books. At 36 Rinne is still in that real contract money age. Why would he take $1m for years he doesn't intend to be retired when he could make considerably more?

There is a difference in Luongo's play from his first few seasons here and this last season or two. He's still a fantastic elite goaltender but there has been a drop off.

Also CS is still unproven to an extent but in will likely be just fine when given the reigns to the team.

Still doesn't change that when Luongo signed his contract it was far from a sure thing that CS was going to be a starter in the NHL.

given his long injury record while playing for the canucks... all the times we could have used him in the playoffs, but he tore his torso off his legs playing hackeysack... i'd say he was due for a makeup season to see if he could get through it

will miss him and all, but really... his injury list is most likely the most extensive in the league, among active players at least.

It would have been 2 contracts like that. With CS waiting there is no way in hell i would have given out a contract like that to Lou. In the end it comes down to evaluating talent. Given how the twins have performed it's fair to say Gillis went the wrong way with who to give the lifetime contract to. Now we cant get a decent return on Lou. Nothing surprising, you always have "at the time" or "better safe thab sorry" to hang your hat on.

Hindsight? Was it hindsight when i said Ballard was going to be a healthy scratch during our cup run? The year you guaranteed he wouldn't be. Either way, let's say it is hindsight, how come every gm in the league gets judged on trades after some time has passed. Why is it that MG is the ONLY gm ever that gets graded/evaluated on decisions at the time. It's a hard job, there are no crystal balls, but if you have to evaluate all his decisions 'at the time", that pretty much says it all when it comes to the job he is doing.

Actually there was a crystal ball.It was called 'groin injury'.

30 Sept. 2008-Luo suffers 'mild ' groin injury in practise

30 Sept. 2008-Luo is named team captain.

22 Nov 2008-abductor strain in groin against Pittsburgh

02 Dec 2008 -Luo suffers groin strain against Columbus

10 Dec 2008-Luo suffers groin ' setback ' in practise

Luo misses 24 NHL games after attempting to return too quickly.

Luo finishes his worst statistical year as a Canuck with seven pulls and a 2.57 GAA.

Luo signs 12 year deal for $64 million.

2010 preseason-Luo suffers another groin injury.

13 Sept. 2010-Luongo steps down as team captain.

I think Detroit,the team Gillis aspires to model,just showed Gillis which players you give up on and which have ' hearts of lions '.

Salo fits into this category,as well.

Samuelsson helped Detroit win the Stanley Cup in 2008 in his third of four seasons with the franchise.

''He can play with our top six or our bottom six forwards and really help us either way,'' Holland said.

Mikael-28 points in 48 games for Florida.Five points in seven playoff games. $2.5 M.

David Booth-29 points in 56 games played.One point in five playoff games. $4.5M.

Archived