The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think Salo was underpaid last year?

kj29

Do you think Salo was underpaid last year?  

157 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Salo's salary of last year had nothing to do with how he played last year. What Salo got paid last year was based upon his performance and amount of games played in 2010, plus the rather dim prospects for his future career.

What TB is going to pay Salo for the next two years, is based upon his improved play from last year (2011), *and* TB's need (some would say desperation) for quality d-men.

Why Salo left is partly for more money, an opportunity to play top-4 minutes (which he likely wasn't going to get a that often here), but also for longer term.

Regardless of the amount paid, giving a multi-year deal to Salo would be very risky (as has been pointed out, at least once before). Even at $2 million per year I would not tie up the team's cap in giving Salo a multi-year deal due to his age (35+ contract) and injury history.

regards,

G.

I'm sure we have more in common that that but I do have one question for you. Well a question and a comment...a quement if you will. I get that you're frustrated and disappointed in what's happened to this team and I'm right there with you when it comes to be a frustrated Canucks fan. However what has happened to this team? I was disappointed in the late 90's. I was disappointed when Nonis did nothing. Right now I'm hopeful. We've seen this team improve so much over the last few years that it is head and shoulders above where it was just 5 years ago. Maybe the disappointment comes from the expectation of actually having one of the best teams in the league. I don't know really which is why I guess I don't understand the doom and gloom attitude.

Bieksa - $7 million and $4.5 bonus

Hamhuis- $5 m and $2 bonus

Edler- $3.25 m

Ballard - $4.2 m

Salo-$2 million dollars.

Led all Canuck D men in points.Wrong,sorry,PP goals.

Played top 4-logging up to 25 minutes per night in ice time.

I don't think Bieksa is worth 6 sami Salo's.

Gillis ranks so low by throwing Salo he gets a Gillis = Epic Fail.

It takes a really long time to build a cup contending team. I felt that Nonis/Burke put all the pieces in place to be cup champions. an awesome top 6 twins/burr/ray/grab/kes and great d core and an elite goaltender with lots of cap space. Gillis got all the credit for those players coming together. i felt like we had the team to win at least one cup over the last 3 years but some poor decisions by management cost us the personel that would have put us over the top. Now, I think what's been in the making for over a decade is gone. I understand you don't think so and feel we are still close but I just don't see it happening now. That's the doom and gloom. I felt like I've seen it coming for a few years, been yelling about it for a few years, but that's about all i can do is let my frustration out here.

It takes a really long time to build a cup contending team. I felt that Nonis/Burke put all the pieces in place to be cup champions. an awesome top 6 twins/burr/ray/grab/kes and great d core and an elite goaltender with lots of cap space. Gillis got all the credit for those players coming together. i felt like we had the team to win at least one cup over the last 3 years but some poor decisions by management cost us the personel that would have put us over the top. Now, I think what's been in the making for over a decade is gone. I understand you don't think so and feel we are still close but I just don't see it happening now. That's the doom and gloom. I felt like I've seen it coming for a few years, been yelling about it for a few years, but that's about all i can do is let my frustration out here.

Length of term is what allowed Luongo to have a low cap hit, compared to some other players out there. And since his contract was signed prior to him being 35 years old, he could retire and be off the books.

Rinne currently makes $7 million a season and has a $7 million cap hit for the next seven years.

Rinne - 7 years times $7 million = $49 million total cap hit

Luongo - 7/12 years times $5.3 million = $37,333,331 total cap hit

In these first seven years, Luongo would have saved the Canucks just under $12 million in cap space.

Let's assume Rinne gets a five year extension of his current contract. $7 million times five = 35 million at a $7 million cap hit. Luongo would still be costing the Canucks a $5.3 million cap hit, but only making about $14 million.

regards,

G.

Oh and G, I see that you were a fan of the old WHL Canucks. Me too!!

Those were the days eh, Tony Esposito, Andy Bathgate, Ted Taylor, Phil Maloney, Jim McKenny, Brad Selwood, etc etc.

Booing Don Cherry every time he was on the ice. Back to back league championships.

Gret, great days!!

Rinne's deal ends when he is 36. That extension isn't likely. Luongo is signed until age 43 and makes north of $6 million annually until he is 39. No one outside of Vancouver has had anything positive to say about the Luongo cap circumvention contract that I've ever read.

But really, why offer a lifetime contract and the captaincy to a goalie that you might need to trade two or three years later. Did he not think that Cory Schneider might be knocking on the door by then? He seems to fly by the seat of his pants most of the time.

It takes more than just an awesome top 6 though too wouldn't you say? The D core imo was good not great...but the starting goalie was elite for sure.IMO Nonis deserves credit and to a lesser extent Burke but this team is still essentially Gillis made.

Gillis went to sweden to get the Sedins. If he doesn't put the effort in for that where is this team? Just one example really. He can't be given credit for bringing them here but you have to admit he gets credit for making sure they stayed here.

This is the thing...neither of those two GM's ever did what it took to get the players to put this team over the top. Sure we got to buy out Choiunard and make some great Santala jokes but neither of those guys has been able to build a complete team. Under Gillis we've had the most complete team we've had in a long time. Can you honestly say that this team under Gillis isn't a more complete and competitive team than it's been in a long time?

The reasons this team hasn't won a cup in the last 3 years imo are as follows:

Mikael Samuelsson : Abductor tendon and sports hernia

Christopher Higgins : Broken foot

Christian Ehrhoff : Shoulder

Ryan Kesler: groin tear and hip labrum tear

Henrik Sedin : Back

Dan Hamhuis: tore his groin

Alex Edler: Broken fingers

Also Alberts, Salo, Raymond.

You may think I'm just coming up with excuses but how competitive can a team be with all that against them going up against an almost completely healthy Bruins team?

You're dead right about Gillis, the guy has added little to the mix and has failed to fill in the right complimentary pieces to the championship caliber nucleus he inherited from Burke/Nonis because he wants style points for winning it the Red Wing way with all finesse and no toughness. The real tragedy is the shockingly bad drafting and development that has gone on under his watch. After bitching about`the lack of `impact players`in the system when he took over he will be leaving his successor an appallingly threadbare prospect cupboard to deal fill up himself. It was obviously enough to scare away the Schultz kid and I dion`t see it improving anytime soon. It`s a mess.

The Sedin contract is the perfect example. They wanted a long term deal with a cap hit of $4.8 or around there somewhere. the contract would have locked them both up into their late 30's with a tremedously good cap hit. gillis doesn't give in and flies to Sweden just before they become free agents. Instead of $4.8 we get $6.1 and for a shorter term. Cdc's reaction......Gillis saves the day!!! No he didn't, he could have had them longer for cheaper, he completely screwed it up. There will be a list of reasons why we couldn't do a contract like that but at the end of the day he flat out screwed it up.

Anyway, we'll root for em next year but I think after one of the next two years you will be scratching your head trying to figure out what it was you once saw in him.

The Sedin contract is the perfect example. They wanted a long term deal with a cap hit of $4.8 or around there somewhere. the contract would have locked them both up into their late 30's with a tremedously good cap hit. gillis doesn't give in and flies to Sweden just before they become free agents. Instead of $4.8 we get $6.1 and for a shorter term. Cdc's reaction......Gillis saves the day!!! No he didn't, he could have had them longer for cheaper, he completely screwed it up. There will be a list of reasons why we couldn't do a contract like that but at the end of the day he flat out screwed it up.

Anyway, we'll root for em next year but I think after one of the next two years you will be scratching your head trying to figure out what it was you once saw in him.

Perhaps we should make a rule that we only offer these contracts to players that will end up the top 2 in points in hte history of the franchise? But you do bring up a great point, very well thought out.

I guess the point I was getting at was that if Rinne had gotten a longer term contract he could still get his $49 million and the team would get a huge break on their cap.

For example, add three years to Rinne's contract, each at $1 million. The total deal becomes $52 million, but the cap hit drops to $5.2 million. This being said, there are some self-imposed spending limits in Nashville which may, or may not, still be in effect. It's a bit underhanded as far as dealing with the cap, but what the heck, if everyone else is going to use that dodge you'd be doing your team a dis-service not to do so.

Sami took a home town discount last year to win a Stanley Cup. He is paid at market value this year from Tampa. We did offer him a contract but it was too low for him to take at this point in his career. He has 2 years left and should earn as much as he can while going to a team with playoff potential. Add Luongo to the mix in Tampa and you may have a contender.

Archived