The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suter and Ballard

Southpop45

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was under the impression that Suter had made it clear that he wanted to stay south of the border.

Ballard could be traded on his own. This being said, the Canucks already need/want another d-man who could be at least a bottom-6 guy on this team. While some people don't like Ballard, he is a good player and he would bring back a pretty good return. If he was traded for another d-man, the Canucks would still be down a d-man. If he was traded for a forward, the Canucks would be down two d-men.Either way, the Canucks would have to fall back on untried prospects and/or UFA's who are of a lesser calibre.

Otherwise, the only way Ballard leaves town (at least in the short term) is related to what happens in the (assumed) Luongo trade.

If Ballard is to be traded, the Canucks would likely get more if he was traded with Luongo, assuming the other team can absorb the extra cap hit and are in need of a starting d-man. Florida could be said to fit on both of these counts, since they just lost Garrison, their d-corps has a lot of older players and a lot of good young prospects, and not a lot in the middle, and they are currently at just under $49 million in their total cap hit.

Having Ballard in the deal might relax the Florida reluctance to trade away a better quality prospect who they might not give up in a deal just for Luongo.

regards,

G.

Right, Suter was always going to be too expensive for Vancouver. Even if we had cap space (which we don't) he won't take a discout to come to Vancouver and he would end up getting too much more than Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and now Garrison. I think it would take at least 5.5 million to sign Suter, maybe 6 million, and that would not be good for team morale.

Carle is still floating around and could be had for 4.5 to 5 million. Canucks have 6 million in cap space, but need a center more importantly now. Still, this is a cup-winning defence:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Carle - Ballard

Tanev

Wow. Could use a bit more size but that's still great.

Right, Suter was always going to be too expensive for Vancouver. Even if we had cap space (which we don't) he won't take a discout to come to Vancouver and he would end up getting too much more than Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and now Garrison. I think it would take at least 5.5 million to sign Suter, maybe 6 million, and that would not be good for team morale.

Ballard is a great guy to have on our third pairing - and I think as we saw today, his 4.2 million cap hit has fallen back into the going rate for any solid depth blueliner... I think Ballard has his best days in Vancouver ahead of him.

Suter for me was and is a no. I'd much rather have Garrison at 4.6 - Suter is going to sign for ridiculous money - I think he'll turn out to be the biggest overppayment in this year's UFA class.

I feel and have always felt that we wasted our money & cap space on ballard when he hasn't even played. i think that we should give him the whole pre-season to redeem himself & if he dosent perform, trade him. that might be a bit late though because some are saying that he might be part of a future luongo deal back to florida.

if we do go for suter (which i don't think will happen), we would have 5 capable top 4 d-men excluding ballard:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Suter - ???

If we did get suter, we would need to find another defenceman that is top 4 material or else it just won't look good. Also, the lines would really be messed up because if hamhuis & bieksa aren't supposed to be a 3rd line pair... elder isn't either (garrison MIGHT be)...

sometimes its bad to have too many good players :(

I feel and have always felt that we wasted our money & cap space on ballard when he hasn't even played. i think that we should give him the whole pre-season to redeem himself & if he dosent perform, trade him. that might be a bit late though because some are saying that he might be part of a future luongo deal back to florida.

if we do go for suter (which i don't think will happen), we would have 5 capable top 4 d-men excluding ballard:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Suter - ???

If we did get suter, we would need to find another defenceman that is top 4 material or else it just won't look good. Also, the lines would really be messed up because if hamhuis & bieksa aren't supposed to be a 3rd line pair... elder isn't either (garrison MIGHT be)...

sometimes its bad to have too many good players :(

IMO, Ballard is not going anywhere and Suter is not willing to take a 50% home discount.

What intrigues me is the rigidity of salary for our defenceman. What will happen with a certain Swedish upcoming free agent?

Considering Gillis' history, I think that if Edler asks for more than 4.6 million, he won't be back next year. In that scenario, keeping Ballard and Garrison's six year term makes perfect sense.

Gillis is a smart cookie and has hedged his bet, if he can't sign Edler, he now has longterm depth to compensate. It is the wrong time to ask this question but the time will come sooner than we would like: will Edler indicate his intentions to sign at a reduced rate to Gillis or will he indicate his intention to chase the money and allow Gillis to move him for assets?

Do I need to mention how much I hate the off-season?

IMO, Ballard is not going anywhere and Suter is not willing to take a 50% home discount.

What intrigues me is the rigidity of salary for our defenceman. What will happen with a certain Swedish upcoming free agent?

Considering Gillis' history, I think that if Edler asks for more than 4.6 million, he won't be back next year. In that scenario, keeping Ballard and Garrison's six year term makes perfect sense.

Gillis is a smart cookie and has hedged his bet, if he can't sign Edler, he now has longterm depth to compensate. It is the wrong time to ask this question but the time will come sooner than we would like: will Edler indicate his intentions to sign at a reduced rate to Gillis or will he indicate his intention to chase the money and allow Gillis to move him for assets?

Do I need to mention how much I hate the off-season?

Funny thing?

Ballard and Garrison would be our most physically gifted defensive pair. (Physically gifted, Edler provides the most talent regardless of who he plays with). Both are faster than any other D and Garrison is now our largest defender. He is also a plus defender (in spite of a big shot tainting his reputation as an offensive guy) who can hold the fort which might allow Ballard to push the puck?

Something Ballard has not had the luxury of doing before... And drop the puck back to the point for a bomb after drawing opponents forward? Garrison held back with Campbell rushing the puck.

Hmmmm

Hamhuis / Bieksa (shut down pair)

Edler / ? (Tanev for now) offense 1A

Ballard / Garrison offense 1B

:bigblush:

obiviolusy dont have anything to do with each other directly.

Carle is still floating around and could be had for 4.5 to 5 million. Canucks have 6 million in cap space, but need a center more importantly now. Still, this is a cup-winning defence:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Carle - Ballard

Tanev

Wow. Could use a bit more size but that's still great.

The only way that I could see Ballard traded is if the Canucks find a 3rd pairing dman for less money to replace him or a right shooting dman (which we are short of now that Salo has signed elsewhere).

Ballard is a bwee bit expensive for a 3rd pairing so if it was me, I would be looking for a physical stay at home dman with a lower cap hit but Tanev and Ballard do make a pretty solid 3rd pairing so I wouldn't be tossing and turning at night sweating over it.

As far as Suter, I don't think we could come anywhere close to affording what he will command contract wise. You can't put all of the cap into defense because we have to find some forwards too. Nashville poured too much cap into their defense and ended up with a great defense but forwards who can't score.

Vancouver's biggest need now is to find a forward or two that are clutch scorers when the need arises. We have Burrows and Kesler (when healthy) who do that but scoring has been a problem in tight checking games and they can't do it all. We have skilled forwards but not the right mix for the playoffs when teams smother you.

The Sedins need a gritty skilled forward (like Nash) and the Kesler line needs a playmaking centre. I wonder what would happen if AV tried Kesler with Henrik and moved Daniel to the 2nd line with Booth. Daniel is a good playmaker as well a a scorer so he could be setting up Booth and whoever is at centre. I know nobody wants to split up the Sedins but Kesler and Burrows with Henrik would be a solid line with grit, skill and scoring. On the 2nd line Schroeder between Booth and Daniel. On the 3rd Higgins, Ebbett and Hanson. On the 4th Malhotra, Lapierre and Weise/Volpatti etc

If Malhotra is back in form like he was before the eye injury, it would resolve a lot with the centre shortage. For now I would use Ebbett on the 3rd line if Malhotra is going back to the 4th line.

I agree with you that Vancouver can't spend all of the cap on defense...we need some clutch forwards (Nash).

Umm, with the other D men signings how can any of you think Ballard is too high a cap hit any more? Plus he's insurance for if Edler bounces as someone else said (though I imagine Edler signs an extension).

So the real question is does Ballard get any chance on the PP or other opportunities this year? (I imagine Garrison plays w edler and Bieksa Hamhuis on the other pairing so probably not but I think ballard will continue to improve this year like he did last year and will prove to be a very very reliable 3rd pairing guy that gives us good depth on the back end!)

Archived