The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suter and Ballard

Southpop45

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the signing of Wideman in Calgary, Ballard all of a sudden looks like a bargain at $4.2M for a couple more seasons.

IMO, KB4 was the Canuck's best defender in their brief post-season run this past year.

Not too many teams can boast this as their top 6:

Hammy / KB3

Edler / Garrison

KB4 / Tanev

Alberts = 7

Proven depth is a little slim with Salo and Rome gone, but, if MG re-signs Parent and Bomber and you look at Connauton, Sauve, Polasek, Andersson and Corrado as up-and-comers, there is some long-term depth there.

Signing / trading for one more depth defender and a top 3 forward to play with the Twins are MG's priorities now!

:towel::canucks:

Suter was never going to be signed here.

He is going to make $7m/year and just doesn't fit into the Canucks' internal salary structure.

I don't think Ballard will be moved, unless we MG is setting up for another move for a d-man.

With the cap space being highlighted so much right now..the use or non-use of Ballard makes me question Gillis/AV's use for him..we can't have that amount of cap space sitting in the press box eating popcorn and playing angry birds.

Were obviously not getting Suter, nor do i think he wants to play in Canada so we can scratch that off pretty quickly.

As far as Ballard goes i don't think MG is actively trying to trade him but in a ideal cap world having a 4.2 million dollar 3rd pairing guy is not good cap management, in fact we'd be much better off signing a cheaper guy to fit that role and get the same output.

Obviously the free-agent market for a top six forward is pretty bare so if were going to improve and we certainly need to its going to be through trade. I see Ballard sticking around, and when/if a opportunity comes along to improve the forwards he gets moved..who knows maybe he impresses so much next year he sticks but if i were a betting man id say he's gone by the trade-deadline.

Archived