The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How would you feel about: A Markus Naslund comeback?

Canuckerbird

I admit, I'm a little bit drunk right now, but I was thinking that if we fail to sign Doan, or another top six forward this offseason, we'd indeed have a real hole in our top six.

Then I thought to myself, what if, (in the event that we're forced to go into the season with Raymond occupying a top six spot) we coax Naslund out of retirement for one year. Surely, even though he hasn't played for two years, Markus would still be a marked improvement over Raymond on Kesler's wing.

Say Markus was willing to sign a one year deal for $1.5 - 2 million...I'd do it.

Hope everyone had a great Canada Day :)

Given the circumstances of his departure from the Canucks and from the NHL, I don't think that's at all plausible. He'll be 40 years old next year remember, and I doubt he's been playing much hockey back in Sweden. I think he's a bit of a Christian zealot and so he can keep himself occupied by evangelizing the rest of his life.

After the highly illegal Steve Moore hit, his career just kind of died a slow death.

I still wonder if he has that amazing wrister... I'll be honest when he was in his prime, he had the best wrister in the NHL.. hands down, the accuracy, speed, simply sublime.. and then he injured his wrist, well I'm pretty sure it's healed now so maybe he can make a return to the NHL and Canucks specifically... I'm dreaming and hoping for a return.. or at least players we have right now that can form the new West Coast Express. I think Kassian can substitute as Bertuzzi, just a thought. Don't know who Morrison and Naslund can be... thoughts?

Given the circumstances of his departure from the Canucks and from the NHL, I don't think that's at all plausible. He'll be 40 years old next year remember, and I doubt he's been playing much hockey back in Sweden. I think he's a bit of a Christian zealot and so he can keep himself occupied by evangelizing the rest of his life.

After the highly illegal Steve Moore hit, his career just kind of died a slow death.

I still wonder if he has that amazing wrister... I'll be honest when he was in his prime, he had the best wrister in the NHL.. hands down, the accuracy, speed, simply sublime.. and then he injured his wrist, well I'm pretty sure it's healed now so maybe he can make a return to the NHL and Canucks specifically... I'm dreaming and hoping for a return.. or at least players we have right now that can form the new West Coast Express. I think Kassian can substitute as Bertuzzi, just a thought. Don't know who Morrison and Naslund can be... thoughts?

I dunno, if you look at the SEL standings in the two years he's been GM, Modo's actually improved under him. They were in last place when he was hired midway through the 2010-11 season. Though they still finished last that year, the following season, Modo made the playoffs. Just might have a knack for it.

To address the OP, I support Naslund to an admitted fault, so while it's probably the worst idea I've heard in a while, I'm for it! Wonder what the logistics of playing and managing in two different leagues would look like...

<p>

I admit, I'm a little bit drunk right now, but I was thinking that if we fail to sign Doan, or another top six forward this offseason, we'd indeed have a real hole in our top six.

Then I thought to myself, what if, (in the event that we're forced to go into the season with Raymond occupying a top six spot) we coax Naslund out of retirement for one year. Surely, even though he hasn't played for two years, Markus would still be a marked improvement over Raymond on Kesler's wing.

Say Markus was willing to sign a one year deal for $1.5 - 2 million...I'd do it.

Hope everyone had a great Canada Day :)

Geez, can't a guy reminisce about one of his favourite players and make wishful, albeit absurd, comments during Canada day? Besides, I think he'd still be more effective than Raymond even at this stage of his life...provided that he's in shape of course. And it's not like he'd be an ass and take the C from Hank like that other guy way back when. There'd be no pressure on him to perform like a superstar either.

I think he'd still be able to put up 20-25 goals and 45-50 points playing on the second line with powerplay minutes.

Archived