The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Eklund] Canucks preparing for Rick Nash

He's had a couple rumours that turned out to be true...

People give him a hard time, most of his rumours are this team is interested in this player, so if the Canucks are interested in Nash it could be a matter of us inquiring what it could take, seeing if the assets lost = assets gained.

So the rumour could be true but nothing may happen.

My God, I can't believe I have to explain this...

If you're a GM, you go after the biggest names first (you don't try and fill your team with the second best players, you want the best). That's why everything stood still until Parise and Suter were signed. Teams don't want to make a lesser signing until the big fish are gone.

Luongo isn't anywhere near the biggest fish this off-season. In fact, he's not even in the top three. So, his deal won't get done until all three of those players are signed (and only two have been so far).

Even though Nash isn't a goalie - he IS a better player than Luongo. And, even though the teams that want Lu probably have no interest in Nash, they probably won't do anything until Nash is gone first (or they are out of the bidding).

The connection is... very loose. In common, they're both star players on hefty contracts. Nash's contract has a much bigger cap hit, but Lu's has that monster term. Both are star players. GM's of both teams are asking for significant return. CBJ may also be looking for goaltending coming back - Lu wouldn't waive to go play in CBJ, but perhaps a Nash trade opens up another potential destination for LU.

Aside from GM's holding on to their assets to see if they can be used to acquire Nash, I don't see a lot of connections between the two.

VANCOUVER

Gives:

Kesler

Luongo

Schroeder

Raymond (RFA)

1st (2013)

Gets:

Nash

Johansen

Theodore

FLORIDA

Gives:

Weiss

Theodore

1st (2013)

Gets:

Luongo

Raymond (RFA)

COLUMBUS

Gives:

Nash

Johansen

Gets:

Kesler

Weiss

Schroeder

1st (Florida 2013)

1st (Vancouver 2013)

This might appear to thin us down the middle, but with Gaunce nearly NHL ready and Lappy still young-ish and Johansen centering the 2nd line we have enough depth for now + the future.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Johansen ($1.945m) / Shane Doan ($5.000m)

Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Jose Theodore ($1.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,190,000; BONUSES: $1,075,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,000

Canucks can then try and swing a trade & sign for Weber, something along the lines of Edler + Ballard + Rodin for Weber, with that 7.45 Million in cap space opens up. Take into account Manny coming off the books next season, a moderate raise for Burrows (3 to 3.25) Doan coming off the books in either 1 or 2 years (depending on term) we have enough room to re-sign Johansen once ELC is up and still have room for depth acquisitions.

By this time, Jensen and Gaunce should be NHL regulars and Kassian developing at a nice pace, also Theodore would be off the books next season and Lack up.

It never ceases to amaze me, how the trade "ideas" on this site, ALWAYS have the Canucks absolutely fleecing the other teams.

But hey at least this time its Tanev, Ballard is usually the throw in with Raymond.

Cause we all know the other 29 teams in the league are dying to get Raymond, and their mouths water at taking on Ballards contract.

And to the people who think Luongo will waive to play for a horrible team, that considering the division they are in, has no chance to make the playoffs for awhile............Sure.....sure...

My God, I can't believe I have to explain this...

If you're a GM, you go after the biggest names first (you don't try and fill your team with the second best players, you want the best). That's why everything stood still until Parise and Suter were signed. Teams don't want to make a lesser signing until the big fish are gone.

Luongo isn't anywhere near the biggest fish this off-season. In fact, he's not even in the top three. So, his deal won't get done until all three of those players are signed (and only two have been so far).

Even though Nash isn't a goalie - he IS a better player than Luongo. And, even though the teams that want Lu probably have no interest in Nash, they probably won't do anything until Nash is gone first (or they are out of the bidding).

Archived