The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've had budgies with longer memories..........

Bodee

Honestly, how many ass kickings do we have to take until we start building for a Stanley Cup?

Personally I was gutted when we didn't learn lessons after we were "molested" out of the finals.

Then I thought we would "man up" before the playoffs. We did but it turned out young Kassian was still in diapers.

We were shown the door by LA and I sat in awe as this team who finished 8th pummelled us into submission.................Ah well I thought MG will have seen this and big things will happen and steps will be taken to toughen up for next season.

But NO.

First we show interest in a College guy a strong wind would blow over.

Then we sign a top four D who has as much push back, it would seem (unless I am missing something) as Mason Raymond on a bad day.

Now idiots on here foam at the mouth about Jokinen and Versteeg

WTF!

Do we really want to win the Stanley Cup? I am seriously beginning to doubt it.

The grit / push back that makes the difference as far as I can see is NOT in the 3rd and 4th lines it's where the real battles take place...........the 1st and 2nd lines in both offence AND defence.

When is this team going to get back to basic principles. The D is for first and foremost keeping goals out of our net and ensuring our goalie is NOT molested.

The offence is for getting goals 5 on 5 and in particularly from the forward trio. We have lived for too long on the PP at this Club and it's high time we started taking names and kicking asses.

We are already known as pushovers and divers, is this an attempt to enhance our PP figures? If so we need to get our priorities right.

MG, I'm not impressed with your FIRST BIG MOVE. Unlike many on here I have a very good memory.

Honestly, how many ass kickings do we have to take until we start building for a Stanley Cup?

Personally I was gutted when we didn't learn lessons after we were "molested" out of the finals.

Then I thought we would "man up" before the playoffs. We did but it turned out young Kassian was still in diapers.

We were shown the door by LA and I sat in awe as this team who finished 8th pummelled us into submission.................Ah well I thought MG will have seen this and big things will happen and steps will be taken to toughen up for next season.

But NO.

Then we sign a top four D who has as much push back, it would seem (unless I am missing something) as Mason Raymond on a bad day.

WTF!

Do we really want to win the Stanley Cup? I am seriously beginning to doubt it.

The grit / push back that makes the difference as far as I can see is NOT in the 3rd and 4th lines it's where the real battles take place...........the 1st and 2nd lines in both offence AND defence.

When is this team going to get back to basic principles. The D is for first and foremost keeping goals out of our net and ensuring our goalie is NOT molested.

The offence is for getting goals 5 on 5 and in particularly from the forward trio. We have lived for too long on the PP at this Club and it's high time we started taking names and kicking asses.

We are already known as pushovers and divers, is this an attempt to enhance our PP figures? If so we need to get our priorities right.

MG, I'm not impressed with your FIRST BIG MOVE. Unlike many on here I have a very good memory.

Yeah you are missing something, Garrison was top 50 in hits for D last year. He's also extremely strong, and very willing to clear out his crease.

Maybe you should wait longer than one day into Free Agency before you start writing the season off.

in order for us to have a solid 3rd or 4th line as you want - you can't be paying guys like suter / parise - 8 million +

a balanced team is a better team

1-2 superstars don't make a team.

surprises is what make a legitimate team - could be young guys stepping up or players like ehrhoff that were getting written off but then ended up producing big for us during the right times.

doesn't mean you need to sign shea weber / suter/ parise - i'd love to have them but that'd make us lack somewhere else in the line up because of the money were dishing out to them.

Top 50 eh?...........Impressive..................my ass!

I would have said an Elite team and 2 times PT winner should have been aiming at top 10. I'm quite happy to wait but if this is an indication of how MG corrects the GLARING FLAWS in a team with SC aspirations, then I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

Also I note how you neatly avoid the last 2 years. This is not just a complaint about now it is an accumulative complaint about his apparent blind spot.

I'm not the only one who sees this as a terminal weakness (with reference to SC aspirations) in the team. These boards have been thick with it, as have the media............................................................. GARRISON does not address this problem imo.

But NO.

WTF!

in order for us to have a solid 3rd or 4th line as you want - you can't be paying guys like suter / parise - 8 million +

a balanced team is a better team

1-2 superstars don't make a team.

surprises is what make a legitimate team - could be young guys stepping up or players like ehrhoff that were getting written off but then ended up producing big for us during the right times.

doesn't mean you need to sign shea weber / suter/ parise - i'd love to have them but that'd make us lack somewhere else in the line up because of the money were dishing out to them.

As much as I loved Salo, he was old and not physical enough. Garrison's game is built for the playoffs, and we need more big, physical and strong defencemen like him. Great move by MG to let Salo go and sign this defensive stalwart. Now if we can get one more hitter on the blueline (or let Alberts play instead of Tanev) we'll be fine back there. We need maybe 1 more depth defenceman and we should be fine, because Tanev's game is not built for the playoffs - he's simply not big and strong enough, and either is Ballard.

Up front we have the pieces necessary to win a championship, with a good mix of skill, size, toughness and speed. I would say we need to get a bit deeper at the center position because that's the 2nd most important spot on a team, and we haven't replaced Hodgson's loss very well so far.

I see what you are saying but my point is we already have the majority of the good pieces we need.................it's the bits that supply the game change and the "nasty grit" we lack imo.

We have a potentially good 3rd and 4th line, it's the 1st and 2nd lines in offence and defence weaknesses we need to address.

I see what you are saying but my point is we already have the majority of the good pieces we need.................it's the bits that supply the game change and the "nasty grit" we lack imo.

We have a potentially good 3rd and 4th line, it's the 1st and 2nd lines in offence and defence weaknesses we need to address.

Garrison is 6'2" 218 lbs. He hits, blocks shots, and has put up points. I'd say it's a pretty good pick up for the price.

We're just past the first day of free agency. Lou still needs to be moved and there may be others moved as well. No need to hit the panic buttom Bodee there's a lot of time between now and October.

Actually it was more Schultz showing interest in us so settle down.

We did show interest in him, we tried to land him

Toughness wasn't why we lost. You could start with the fact we were without our top offensive players in Daniel.

Even with Daniel we were no match for the physicality of that team. We tried to match it and gave away the first two games.

"Idiots" on here are not MG, again simmer down.

I was just reinforcing the title heading.........I take it I'm allowed to do that?

The guy is 6'2" so I'm not sure what you're referring to. As for short memories, do you remember how we have fared after our top offensive defenseman in Ehrhoff left? Well guess what, MG just got his replacement.

With respect replacing Ehrhoff was never the answer to our problem..........in fact we made up most of his points..........He certainly never had a much in the way of defence and little in the way of push back...............So I maintain we have spent time and money on getting something that is irrelevant to our deficiencies.

Maybe you would do better to try and understand the thrust of my argument instead of condescendingly telling me to "settle/simmer down"

2009–10 Florida Panthers NHL 39 2 6 8 23 — — — — — 2010–11 Florida Panthers NHL 73 5 13 18 26 — — — — — 2011–12 Florida Panthers NHL 77 16 17 33 32 4 1 2 3 0

Baggins, I hear you. :) However there is a certain deja vu about all this and it is worrying.

As I have said on another thread MG seems like a good guy, he goes out looks for good players, with good character and good value................but he seems to miss the big picture. He selects individuals but doesn't seem to see what the team is missing to make it a strong contender.

We fail not for lack of good players but lack of good big "nasty" players. Guys who if the opposition push, will push back and go further if need be.

We also lack 1, maybe 2 game changers. A Perry type player for the Sedins.

I see this as cap wasted on not what we need and therefore it dilutes our bargaining ability for players we actually are crying out for..............that is why I'm unhappy.

Archived