The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've had budgies with longer memories..........

Bodee

Yeah you are missing something, Garrison was top 50 in hits for D last year. He's also extremely strong, and very willing to clear out his crease.

Maybe you should wait longer than one day into Free Agency before you start writing the season off.

"Then fans like you come screaming about what a lousy year it was because we got dumped in the first round."

Man, if you think that I think it was a lousy year because we got dumped in the first round you must have been on the moon during regular season. Read the post again.

As for not being able to design a team for the SC..............of course you can. You are not guaranteed to actually win it but 9 times out of 10 you avoid an LA meltdown.

"I agree that a little grittiness goes a long way no matter what...but it isn't like we can go all in. I'd rather have the 25 smartest, most skilled (at their position - both tactical and line placement) who can take a hit and keep going, than 25 dopey guys that can dish it out. This isn't Junior 'B'...this is the NHL, and you have to own a pretty deep toolbag to play here."

Boston and LA were VERY GOOD TEAMS, they were not just thugs with grit. They built a good team that would not be easy to push around.

The very idea that because you build a team good enough to gain the PT but without the physical size and pushback to impose your game every night in a best of 7 IS FLAWED, if your aim is to win the SC.

The whole point of my post is a recognition that we HAD DONE THE HARD PART, building the framework and 2 years ago we should have fined tuned this team with grit endowed ability to finish the job.

But instead MG has gone back and started on the damned framework again and WE STILL DON'T HAVE THE PUSHBACK!

Honestly, how many ass kickings do we have to take until we start building for a Stanley Cup?

Personally I was gutted when we didn't learn lessons after we were "molested" out of the finals.

Then I thought we would "man up" before the playoffs. We did but it turned out young Kassian was still in diapers.

We were shown the door by LA and I sat in awe as this team who finished 8th pummelled us into submission.................Ah well I thought MG will have seen this and big things will happen and steps will be taken to toughen up for next season.

But NO.

First we show interest in a College guy a strong wind would blow over.

Then we sign a top four D who has as much push back, it would seem (unless I am missing something) as Mason Raymond on a bad day.

Now idiots on here foam at the mouth about Jokinen and Versteeg

WTF!

Do we really want to win the Stanley Cup? I am seriously beginning to doubt it.

The grit / push back that makes the difference as far as I can see is NOT in the 3rd and 4th lines it's where the real battles take place...........the 1st and 2nd lines in both offence AND defence.

When is this team going to get back to basic principles. The D is for first and foremost keeping goals out of our net and ensuring our goalie is NOT molested.

The offence is for getting goals 5 on 5 and in particularly from the forward trio. We have lived for too long on the PP at this Club and it's high time we started taking names and kicking asses.

We are already known as pushovers and divers, is this an attempt to enhance our PP figures? If so we need to get our priorities right.

MG, I'm not impressed with your FIRST BIG MOVE. Unlike many on here I have a very good memory.

It's idiots like you that ran luo out of town with your drama and negativity, Garrison is a beast, a hometown kid who wants to play here, I guarentee you he'll bring more energy and passion than anyone has brought this past season.

Honestly, how many ass kickings do we have to take until we start building for a Stanley Cup?

Personally I was gutted when we didn't learn lessons after we were "molested" out of the finals.

Then I thought we would "man up" before the playoffs. We did but it turned out young Kassian was still in diapers.

We were shown the door by LA and I sat in awe as this team who finished 8th pummelled us into submission.................Ah well I thought MG will have seen this and big things will happen and steps will be taken to toughen up for next season.

But NO.

First we show interest in a College guy a strong wind would blow over.

Then we sign a top four D who has as much push back, it would seem (unless I am missing something) as Mason Raymond on a bad day.

Now idiots on here foam at the mouth about Jokinen and Versteeg

WTF!

Do we really want to win the Stanley Cup? I am seriously beginning to doubt it.

The grit / push back that makes the difference as far as I can see is NOT in the 3rd and 4th lines it's where the real battles take place...........the 1st and 2nd lines in both offence AND defence.

When is this team going to get back to basic principles. The D is for first and foremost keeping goals out of our net and ensuring our goalie is NOT molested.

The offence is for getting goals 5 on 5 and in particularly from the forward trio. We have lived for too long on the PP at this Club and it's high time we started taking names and kicking asses.

We are already known as pushovers and divers, is this an attempt to enhance our PP figures? If so we need to get our priorities right.

MG, I'm not impressed with your FIRST BIG MOVE. Unlike many on here I have a very good memory.

Garrison is a fantastic signing by MG. There's some risk involved, but, he is a big, physical kid who wants to be in VanCity.

The Canucks should look at moving their 2013 first rounder for that big, physical defender / power forward you speak of, Bodee.

Draft picks are a crap shoot and if you can move a crap shoot for a proven physical player, why not? People say that Gaustad for a 1st rounder was overpayment? I disagree.

I would rather our team fill a need now rather than gamble on possibly filling a need two or three years down the road.

:towel::canucks:

I agree to the op to a degree. We do need to get toughger, i think kassian will be better this season. I am happy with garrison only because he is a local, abd will help our pp out. MG is not done yet, Lou will be traded and bring in assets and we still have cap space to bring in, fingers crossed Doan. He would bring the grit we need.

I didnt even have to read the whole thread too know where this was going, you sir should go put the cone on your head, step back into the bubble of the World Of Warcraft and go try and cast your warlock hit points elsewhere. you arent happy with the team.... fine. but to actually rant and rave about how LA was a number 8 team is ridiculous. they lost 4 games the entire cup run, and honestly i dont think i could find a person who thought that the way they were playing leading into the playoffs was anything close to an 8th seed. As for your Schultz reference..... ..... every team in the league was after this guy and when we missed out on him Garrison was the only suitable defenceman in the FA market that the canucks could afford to replace and aging salo and yes maybe he isnt totally proven yet but Carle and Suter are going to get huge money, more than MG wanted to spend when we already have 3 above average dmen

Many people wanted Scheen because he was in some eyes the greatest to ever play the game. He is so good it should be a straight one for one with Lu. Many people stated because Schenn hits. Now we sign G52, a guy who hits and who actually knows how to play on the PP. But that's not good enough for you. We had grit last year it just so happened they were hurt early in the season.

I'm not a fan of Kas yet, hopefully he will turn me around but could there not be grit there?

If this team does nothing but disappoint you year after year and you have so much trouble sleeping at night, do you think it might be time to root for another team that can bing you a tiny bit of piece into your life? It might just be time for you to reitre from watching hockey.

Archived