The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Salo says goodbye

canucks3322

Here is an article of a short interview with Sami Salo by a finnish news agency MTV3 following the signing. I translated it quickly/roughly w/google.

Sami Salo made ​​a two-year deal with Tampa Bay Lightning. Many other clubs were pursuing 37-year-old Turku native.

- Making the decision was not easy. I had many good options. At the end of the day, Anaheim, Detroit and Dallas were in play, Sami Salo revealed to MTV3.

- We made the decision that satisfied all of us together as a family. New challenges await. Thanks to all the clubs who were in contact, the defender said.

Salo had been with Vancouver since 2002.

- It is certainly nostalgic feeling to leave. The organization [Canucks] has always been very professional about everything. Owners and management really care about hockey, and they work very hard for the team. And the fans there are awesome, Salo said.

The experienced defender grabbed the plush salary increase.

- I have heard only positive things of the Tampa organization. Steve Yzerman as GM and a good friend Mattias Ohlund plays there. Now a new beginning, a new place for new challenges and objectives, Sami Salo said to MTV3.

Salo was signed Monday night to a two-year and 7.5 million dollar deal. Last year in Vancouver, Salo earned two million dollars. In Tampa, the native of Turku gets to play alongside star players.

- Steve Stamkos, Vincent Lecavalier, Martin, St. Louis. Those are big names. The team was in the Eastern Conference finals two years ago, it's not a coincidence, Salo thought.

The age of 37 Salo has just one goal in mind.

- The team's goal is always in the postseason. I only want to play for the Stanley Cup Championship. The goal is to get to raise the cup, Salo said.

growing up my favourite player was Naslund. Salo leaving hurts more though. I just really didn't expect it. Obviously I know there were a few problems (reported) with the talks but when I thought of next season Salo was always in the picture.

Great player, great class. Never went for the dirty plays or even physical plays, played smart hockey and although he was known for his shot his defensive capabilities will be greatly missed.

I hope he stays healthy and wins the cup with the Lightning. Definitely deserves the cup before he calls it a day.

oh dear i never thought i would cry but i just did. I will miss you, sami salo. #great guy and awesome player. almost a decade as a canuck. i wished that he retired as a canuck. i wish that MG just gave him 2 years, we need him anyway. all the best, sami, to you and your family.

Archived