The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

how can the Pens/Wings do it and not us?

Super_Canuck

M.G. wants a youthful core with longevity that fits and is competent under the cap. That, plus he's an ex-agent so he knows how the market works in terms of supply and demand and the price to pay to meet your demands. When you've gotten what you want, leave the market and spend when the time's right.

(Presuming Lu, Raymond and Ballard's combined $11.7M salaries leave) I'm glad that the team has roughly $17M to work with still ($11.7M + $5.3M of space now); that can still bolster the team, but he's not the type to sign a prima donna, which I'm happy with him not doing. It's not that the team doesn't cost as much, it's that our team has the ability to sign pricier and better depth because our top players aren't so heavy (compared with Crosby, Malkin, Datsyuk... heck even guys like Paul Martin in Pittsburgh aren't exactly moneyball guys so I'm glad with MG's moves).

How do you know Garrison is a one hit wonder? That's just pure speculation by you, it's just a prediction, and there's nothing to back it up. He's only played 2.5 NHL seasons.

In fact, Garrison has already had two good years, although it might not seem like it based on his basic offensive stats. Last year he was successful playing an offensive role, and the year before he had a more defensive role and excelled as well. People expect him to be the next Ehrhoff and judge him only on his offense, and while he might be capable of putting up big points, I think his style is more Dan Hamhuis, but with a better shot. He's actually pretty solid defensively.

I think the main reason Pittsburgh and Detroit are going after the big fish is that they have some gaping holes to fill, that weren't there last year. Detroit has to replace Lidstrom, and Pittsburgh has to replace Staal.

bud, we have the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Luongo AND Schneider. These are BIG names and they are talked about league wide. They all took discounts to stay here, play together, and win the cup. Just because they don't get paid over 7 mill/year does not mean they are not BIG TIME players. On any other team, the Sedins would each get paid at least 7-7.5 mill (Hart Trophy winners, Art Ross trophy winners...). I think you're the one that needs to wake the f up.

Lots of people seem to be overlooking a major point, and its that we have no roster space.

In the long run, this is what our roster is...

D.Sedin H.Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Raymond

Higgins {Space} Hansen

Malhotra Lapierre Kassian

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Garrison

Ballard Tanev

Schneider

{Space}

We maybe have 1 forward position avilable, and theres a good chance it will be taken by Schroeder or someone brought in from a luongo trade.

Parise puts up 69 pts last year. ( I know pts are not everything ) but I read that teams are offering him upwards of 100 million dollar contracts. 25 mill to be paid over the first 2 years. IMO not worth it. Free agency bidding wars are ridiculous.

Imagine if Kesler went into free agency right now he would be looking at a bigger contract then Crosby's according to his performance vs Parise's.

So the rumours are that the Penguins and the Red Wings are in on both Suter and Parise sweepstakes. How the hell is it that both these teams who already have big name/big contract players can go after these 2 guys and still be able to stay at or below the cap and the Canucks can't?

The Pens were quick to trade one of their best players (staal) when he didn't accept their offer and got a pretty good return and yet our GM is dragging the Luongo fiasco on and on and can't seem to work anything out. What does Gillis do instead? He signs a one hit wonder (Garrison) to a lucrative deal which will come back to bite him in the ass. (just like Ballard, though he didn't sign him, he still traded for him)

potentially - if the "master plan" somehow works: we will end up with a defacto higher cap because of signing all the players to discounts. takes a while to get all the players on board, and only those who will play the nucks game... will it work? it should! as long as the players who want to play the nucks discount game are actually the players you need.

Um... it's not that they have better players or are better places to live...

It's more like:

Detroit just lost Lidstrom and Stuart (and Rafalski last season), so they can afford to go after Suter and Parise.

Pittsburgh just traded Staal so they have enough cap space.

We have our core tied up in Sedins, Burr, Kes, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Schneider and now Garrison.

I'm tired of all this LET'S GET THIS GUY OR THAT GUY TO COMPETE rhetoric. Guys, you need to start believing in this team a little more. We have a good team.

need money to make money

need talent to get talent

nucks are almost there - but need to win a cup AND still be in contention year after year. we are in contention last little while, but need to win that cup... simple as that. then it would also be easier to attract talent - and then also to stay at the top and win another cup

Det and Pitts have the best players in the league, it's not even close really. Championship players, but after that they are not deep at all. That's why they can afford to offer 10 mill per year to suter and parise....we quite simply can't.

Add to that Vancouver has the toughest travel schedule by far, then factor in how ridiculously expensive everything is in Van City, then they hear about this provincial sales tax bull...pile on the pressures of playing in Van City and the fact that a star player in vancouver will never have any privacy ever and the beauty of the city suddenly isn't as attractive.

Give your head a shake if you think he's an average GM. They all make mistakes. He's resigned all of our core players to cap friendly signings, and augmented the team with some very useful players. He's done far more for this team than Burke or Nonis did.

Flyers last year with Richards and Carter: second round flameout. Flyers without Richards and Carter: second round flameout. Yeah, much better for it.

Archived