The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] C. Price gets 6 Years

Don't reply to my essay rant with one or two sentences and thing you've proved your point son, ( I thought CM Punk was supposed to be a talker? haha :P ) you claim all of these things but you don't back them up with any important claims AND you've probably never even seen Carey play before have you?

Um he got his contract based on a bunch of things. Of course potential was one of the factors, he's proved he can play at a high level and as he gets older and older of course he weill get better and better. He's their franchise player (the player they want to build around), and hey how about the most obvious glaring point, HE'S ONE OF THE TOP GOALIES IN THE NHL.

I don't know if you've noticed but Schneider has played a mere 50 or so games in the NHL hasn't he? What has Schneider accomplished so far? Carey has played almost 300. How is Schneider better? Are you telling me that if we stuck Schneider in Montreal and Carey here, that you can say with 100% confidence that Schneider would have taken the Habs out of last place and Carey's stats wouldn't skyrocket here? Do you watch the Habs? Do they have players with the calibre of the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa, Burrows, or the depth of the Canucks? Does Price have former Hart, Selke, Art Ross winners, or any All-Stars in front of him to help him get victories?

By your standards, Brian Elliot and Jaroslav Halak should be the top paid goalies in the NHL, good luck convincing everyone of that.

All that matters are numbers. Price has never been close to posting Vezina type stats. Not saying he hasn't been nominated, the guy has never even had a season with good numbers to be considered at one point.

Halak carried them on his back to the conference finals not too long ago with Price on the bench, with pretty much the same small team.

Wiith Price they just finished dead last in the conference.

Now what?

Schnieder didn't get a 39mil deal for the exact reason I am saying. He has not proved anything yet and so Gillis gave him a 3yr contract at only 12mil to prove what he can do for a future long term contract. Same with Price, but he got 39mil without proving anything just like Schnieder. 3-time NHL All-Star, 3-time overall Molson Cup winner (this one says a lot), NHL All-Rookie Team, WJC Gold, CHL Goalie of the Year, Calder Cup winner, youngest ever Calder Cup MVP...all before 25. He's proven quite a bit, and how he's proven it at in a short time span at a young age speaks volumes to his potential. Schneider won AHL Goaltender of the Year (Price came into the AHL at the end of regular season as a teenager, and carried the 6th place team in the conference to the Calder Cup...if he played a full season he would definitely get AHL Goaltender of the Year), and the Jennings as back-up on the Presidents Trophy winning team. Do not even compare Schneids to Price. They're both great goalies, but one has been tossed into pressure cookers early on, rather than extensively and meticulouy groomed, and still achieved more.

And how in the world is Price one of the top goalies in the nhl? Please just go look at his stats, and see for yourself. The one run MTL had he was sitting on the bench, and Halak carried them. They weren't much of a better team up front then but they went as far as the conference finals all on Halak's shoulders. When Luongo came here, we couldn't score for crap and had an average defense, but Lu carried us into a playoff spot. Price if he is worth 6.5mil, should on his own at MINIMUM make the habs a middle pack team, not a bottom feeder. I don't care how bad your team, if you have an elite top NHL goalie, you are not a 28th place team in the league. Elite goalies make your team at least a middle pack team guaranteed. Price doesn't have a mediocre team in front of him, he has a terrible one. When Roberto came, we had the p/g twins, Naslund, and BMo producing. Our top 5 scorers that year outscores Montreal's by a full 44 points, our top 10 by 90. The D corps wasn't spectacular, but Bieksa, Mitchell, and younger Ohlund and Salo are nothing to sneeze at. They played a tightly coached, defensive style. The Habs D past Subban and Gorges were either too green, too bad, or too injured and the Habs had serious coaching problems all season...they didn't even have a style to play, their system was in complete disarray. A closer comparison would be this Habs team to Robertos Panthers, who were always bottom of the barrel year after year. Yet he was still an elite goalie.

I am not saying Price is bad and isn't even worth 3mil, but he definately ain't worth 6.5mil. And just saying if people don't think he is overpaid or overated, how could anyone possibly say Luongo is overpaid? Because people are dumb or get defensive and bash Luongo, much like you're doing to Price right now.

I really don't care to get into a who is better argument.

I know if FLA or TO or any team had to pick between Price and Luongo.

Price would be picked ahead All day long.

Don't even try to compare playoff experience.

If Luongo never played a playoff game in the NHL I believe his value would be higher than it is today.

This isn't WWE cmpunk, this is reality.

5.3 vs 6.5 is a difference maker.

With Luongo you know what you will get in TO or FLA. If you think you have A Team in front of him, you get a guaranteed playoff spot. From there on it's a different story. Maybe even so spectacular play that it gets you a Cup, if he keeps it together.

Witch Carey Price you get huge potential down the road, but no real evidence of how good he is. With a good team in front of him you have the potential to do good, but not yet guaranteed success. In the playoffs he could also do well, but not sure about that either. Time will tell. Bailed out by Halak from time to time in the past. Like Schneider did for Luongo, but Lou has proven a lot more than him.

Not saying there is anything wrong with him, but your statement was incorrect or at least too steep.

Except luongo has taken us to the SC finals. Not bad for a guy with a cheaper cap hit than price, who couldnt carry his team that far. And locked up longer. IMO its really just a matter of opinion and funny how the people arguing for price come off as more insulting. Luongo has had a better career than price and I take Lu any day of the week. Just check the banners hanging in Rogers arena the last few years.

You are comparing two totally different goalies. Luu with the western confrence champs, to mtl Price who missed the playoffs. A team that succeds to a team with 0 defence.

Everyone thinks LU is overated and overpaid, go look at Price's career stats, and now has a caphit of 6.5mil.

Price is overated. I don't understand how lots of people are saying this guy is team Canada's for sure choice for 2014 based on his numbers. Don't get the hype around this guy.

His best year: 2010-2011 - 38 wins, 8 SO, 2.35 GAA, .923 SV% With 8 SO's, his GAA is average

Luongo 2010-2011 - 38 wins, 4 SO, 2.11 GAA, 9.28 SV%, goes to the SCF

But yet LU is overated and overpaid, and Price isn't.....OK

I really don't care to get into a who is better argument.

I know if FLA or TO or any team had to pick between Price and Luongo.

Price would be picked ahead All day long.

Don't even try to compare playoff experience.

If Luongo never played a playoff game in the NHL I believe his value would be higher than it is today.

This isn't WWE cmpunk, this is reality.

All I'm saying is if everyone thinks he is worth 6.5mil which is considered an elite goalie, you do not finish in 15th place no matter how bad your team is upfront. I don't get how anyone can back up their point that he is worth 6.5mil. I looked at his stats and where his team finished last year. If those stats are worth 6.5mil with your team finishing in the bottom, then Johnathan Quick must be worth at least 12mil a season...

Price has played playoff games. Go look at his record. Halak played playoff games with the same team. Look at his record.

Don't take my word it, just google their stats and then tell me what you think. If you still then think he is worth 6.5mil but Luongo is overpaid, then I feel sorry for you. Price is worth what Schnieder is worth right now. If he proves himself, maybe he will be worth 6.5mil.

You just don't like Lu, and would rather kiss a$$ to another teams goalie and put your own goalie down.

Archived