The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] C. Price gets 6 Years

Everyone thinks LU is overated and overpaid, go look at Price's career stats, and now has a caphit of 6.5mil.

Price is overated. I don't understand how lots of people are saying this guy is team Canada's for sure choice for 2014 based on his numbers. Don't get the hype around this guy.

His best year: 2010-2011 - 38 wins, 8 SO, 2.35 GAA, .923 SV% With 8 SO's, his GAA is average

Luongo 2010-2011 - 38 wins, 4 SO, 2.11 GAA, 9.28 SV%, goes to the SCF

But yet LU is overated and overpaid, and Price isn't.....OK

I don't get it; if Lou is so much better than Price then why are we actively trying to trade him? It's not like he asked for a trade, right? With his fabulous cap hit and his miraculous numbers and the fact that he has singlehandedly won us everything we have won lately (and the Gold medal for Canada as well) why would we be so hot to unload him?

I don't get it; if Lou is so much better than Price then why are we actively trying to trade him? It's not like he asked for a trade, right? With his fabulous cap hit and his miraculous numbers and the fact that he has singlehandedly won us everything we have won lately (and the Gold medal for Canada as well) why would we be so hot to unload him?

All that matters are numbers. Price has never been close to posting Vezina type stats. Not saying he hasn't been nominated, the guy has never even had a season with good numbers to be considered at one point.

The going rate is putting Luongo in perspective.

Luoooo's a bargain.

Some lucky team is gonna take advantage of the Canucks wealth and get themselves an elite goalie for a couple first round/rate prospects. Whoever loses out on that opportunity will be giving their heads a shake next year come playoff time.

Price's 2010 - 2011 campaign: 2147 shot against (2nd in the league), 38 wins (2nd in the league), 2.34 GAA (8th in the league), 923% SV% (5th in the league), and 8 SO (3rd in the league).

I say, that's considered "good numbers".

Maybe you should compare the players on each goaltender's respective team.

Carey Price is young whereas Luongo has already hit his prime. Think about that also.

Think about the cap hit rise as well.

This isn't overpayment.

Price is already a top goalie in the league and has carried some crappy Montreal teams (I don't think anybody appreciates how truly abysmal the Canadiens were this year). He's got the potential to be the best goalie in the league within a few years.

This is a contract that'll carry through from 24 years old to 30 years old...when we got Luongo at 27, he got 4 years at $6.7 mill per. Carey's career path and stats so far are similar to Roberto's too. So when you consider that he will be getting $6.5 mill per year in his prime years (already following a similar arc to Luongo), with a higher cap ceiling now...this is a smart contract for the Canadiens, really good foresight.

First off Strong stupidity and homerism in this thread

By the way I am no Canadiens fan, I actually don't like them at all.

Now, not overpaid at all, Carey Price has the potential to become one of the best goalies in the league, and he is probably the best young goaltender in the NHL (yeah he's 24, but compared to others, he's still relatively young).

Carey's just entering his prime and he can only get better from here, which is why the Habs signed him for 6.5 per. He's the franchise player of their team too. They paid for potential, and Carey has all of the tools to be the top goalie in the NHL I'd say. And for those of you who are looking at his stats alone, look at who's around him on his team, a major reason for his win-loss record and stuff is because the team surrounding him is terrible.

Also all of you saying you'd rather have Luongo for 10 years over Price a goalie who's just entering his prime for a mere million dollars more for only 6 years....YEAH OKAY. Oh yeah and Luongo is 9 years older HA. A goalie possibly leaving his prime for one who is just starting to tap into his super high potential...Hmmmm

Also, Carey is the main reason the Habs even made it to game 7 against the Bruins in the 2011 playoffs with a super inferior team to ours, he even had a 50 save game I think. So he has performed in the playoffs lately.

Anyways I don't want to rant anymore, so in summation, this is a fair contract for all sides. ALso LOL at he should've taken Cory Schneider money. HA, how many games has Schneider played in the NHL? How many wins does Schneider have compared to Price?

Bottom line people ask yourselfs, if Price is that good, there is no way in hell your team finishes 15th in Eastern conference and 28th overall!!

A 6.5mil goalie is considered a top elite goalie, elite goalies get your team to the playoffs. The Habs just didn't barely miss the playoffs they finished in last place in the east.

Can't believe fans here say Price isn't overated or overpaid after finishing 15th place but yet ever since Lu signed his contract, you people say he is overated and overpaid. I guess there just are some really dumb fans here with zero common sense.

Bottom line people ask yourselfs, if Price is that good, there is no way in hell your team finishes 15th in Eastern conference and 28th overall!!

A 6.5mil goalie is considered a top elite goalie, elite goalies get your team to the playoffs. The Habs just didn't barely miss the playoffs they finished in last place in the east.

Can't believe fans here say Price isn't overated or overpaid after finishing 15th place but yet ever since Lu signed his contract, you people say he is overated and overpaid. I guess there just are some really dumb fans here with zero common sense.

Right down the middle of what I figured. If he was going to take a discount it could have been $6... if he wanted ti play hardball he could have gone for Rinne's $7 million.

Montreal fans seemed to think that he was going to sign for $4-5.5.... I guess the same sort of folks like the ones here who were suggesting Salo sign for $1.5

Archived