Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

France: Mandatory breathalyzer test in ALL vehicles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Breathalyzer tests compulsory on all vehicles in France

PARIS—All vehicles travelling on French roads must carry a chemical or electronic breathalyzer test from Sunday, under new rules aimed at reducing alcohol-driven accidents.
“Alcohol has been the main cause of mortality on roads since 2006,” according to road security authorities.
About a third of fatalities on French roads is due to drink driving, a rate that far surpasses the 17 percent recorded in Britain or 10 percent in Germany.
According to a survey published Sunday, just over half of respondents — 57 percent — said they have yet to equip their vehicles with breathalyzer tests.
Those who fail to do so risk a fine of 11 euros ($14) from November 1, 2012, when the penalty comes into force.
Drivers are split over the measure.
“I find it absurd to be booked for that. But it’s the law, so I’ll be subject to it,” said Hamou Louachiche, 38, who still does not have a test in his car.
He believes that such tests would be more useful in bars or nightclubs.
Others however welcome the measure, saying it would reduce drink driving.

http://newsinfo.inqu...icles-in-france

France enacts breathalyzer law
All drivers must carry devices, including tourists

A new law has gone into effect in France requiring every driver to carry two breathalyzer devices in their vehicle at all times. The government is hoping to reduce the number of deaths related to drunk driving by encouraging drivers to test themselves if they think they’ve had too much to drink.
The new law, which applies to tourists as well as residents of France, started on July 1, though there will reportedly be a four month grace period in order to further educate drivers. As of November 1, police will fine drivers 11 euros if a vehicle isn’t equipped with the devices.
In France, the legal limit for blood alcohol concentration (BAC) while driving is 50 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood, or 0.05. In Canada, the limit is 0.08, though that number can change depending on the province and the age of the driver. In Ontario for instance, all drivers 21 years of age and under must have zero blood alcohol content at all times when operating a vehicle.
The Daily Mail says two types of breathalyzer kits have been approved for use in vehicles. One is a “blow-in-the-bag” kit that costs about three euros, while a digital version costs upward of 100 euros.
The UK’s Automobile Association (AA) is criticizing the new law. The organization’s head of road safety, Andrew Howard, tells the Daily Mail that early readings from breathalyzers could be misleading.
“Driving requirements in France are now quite complicated and the list of things you need to take is beginning to be quite a substantial extra charge to a holiday.” says Howard.
Keith Peat of the Association of British Drivers is another critic of the law. He says that “some people will take the chance and not buy them, but many will simply not know about this latest requirement or just forget.

http://www.autonet.c...eathalyzer-law/

Edited by key2thecup, 02 July 2012 - 05:04 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#2 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Wow. Amazing law. Should be global.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#3 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Give it a few years and I am sure Russia will have a law for breathalyzers in their vehicles to make sure they have drank enough.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#4 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Fantastic idea. Great job French lawmakers. Maybe other politicians will follow in their footsteps.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#5 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

lol at the weak minded people who want government interference in every SINGLE aspect of their lives.....

makes me sick
Fire MG

#6 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

lol at the weak minded people who want government interference in every SINGLE aspect of their lives.....

makes me sick

You mean every aspect like the saftey of innocent lives? Yup sounds good to me, I must be weak minded.

No videos in sig please. 

#7 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,302 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

guilty until proven innocent come to mind...

#8 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

You mean every aspect like the saftey of innocent lives? Yup sounds good to me, I must be weak minded.

that excuse has been used by pretty much every single government in the history of mankind to oppress/control/harrass people with.....
Fire MG

#9 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

makes me sick

You know what makes me sick? A family friend of mine being dead because of a drunk driver.

Posted Image

#10 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:40 PM

You know what makes me sick? A family friend of mine being dead because of a drunk driver.

your family friend dying is a tragedy... However it should not be used as an excuse to punish/harrass millions of innocent people with....Tougher sentences on drunk drivers, automatic lifetim driving bans... anything as long as it punishes the guilty.. i will never accept uniform laws that punishes millions of innocent people for the sins of a few...
Fire MG

#11 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

your family friend dying is a tragedy... However it should not be used as an excuse to punish/harrass millions of innocent people with....Tougher sentences on drunk drivers, automatic lifetim driving bans... anything as long as it punishes the guilty.. i will never accept uniform laws that punishes millions of innocent people for the sins of a few...

Oh no! The extra 2 seconds it will take for drivers to blow into a breathalyzer is so atrocious!
Who cares that it will save lives, the drivers time is more precious than that!

I guess while we are at it we should take out airport security, because after all, I'm not wearing a bomb, why should I be subject to a search?
Posted Image

#12 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

How is it a punishment? A simple breath into a device? Yeah sounds really tough. I don't know how I'll go on.

It will save lives. Hundreds of innocent lives.

Tougher laws and sentences don't prevent the initial incident. The people who get those bans will have already hurt someone or worse.

Posted Image

#13 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

Oh no!  The extra 2 seconds it will take for drivers to blow into a breathalyzer is so atrocious!
Who cares that it will save lives, the drivers time is more precious than that!

I guess while we are at it we should take out airport security, because after all, I'm not wearing a bomb, why should I be subject to a search?

the whole process of going out of your way to install the system, pay for it, and use it is a major inconvinience....Basically millions of people who have never in their lives driven drunk are being forced to pay for a breathalyzer system, make time in their lives to actually install it (have you ever waited hours in a mechanic shop waiting for your car???) and actually use it before they drive...And if you dont do that, you will get ticketed for it.. i just dont see why millions of innocent people should be subject to this sort of harrasment when they have not done anything wrong...Are all the photo radars and speed traps not enough? now they are making excuses to ticket people for doing absolutely nothing wrong.-Waits for someone to use the "oh please think of the children" line...
Fire MG

#14 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

lol at the 11 euro fine.

#15 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:00 PM

Personally, I would like the french law a lot better if it was slightly tweaked:

All new cars should be forced to have one come pre-installed, but old cars would not be required to have them, unless the primary driver of said older car has been previously convicted of a DUI.

Would that please those that are against this law?

Posted Image

#16 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

This law is actually a very sad statement on the state of affairs in French society.

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

11477626583_2368927097.jpg     49997_b70e6ae14ce1652fa11bd1dda624afd1.g   7649118508_ce3e8a74a1_o.jpg

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#17 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

Personally, I would like the french law a lot better if it was slightly tweaked:

All new cars should be forced to have one come pre-installed, but old cars would not be required to have them, unless the primary driver of said older car has been previously convicted of a DUI.

Much much easier to shove uniform punishment down peoples throat, then to take on the automakers lobby groups and army of lawyers who would fight it tooth and nail and easily win...
Fire MG

#18 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,699 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

This does make more sense.
Posted Image

#19 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Much much easier to shove uniform punishment down peoples throat, then to take on the automakers lobby groups and army of lawyers who would fight it tooth and nail and easily win...

Complain about it being one way
Say its impossible the other way

Please, come up with a better way to stop drunk drivers from ever hitting anyone in the first place. Please remember that not everyone gets drunk at bars, pubs, and clubs, so breathalyzer stands won't work for a large potion or drivers.

Posted Image

#20 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

Complain about it being one way
Say its impossible the other way

Please, come up with a better way to stop drunk drivers from ever hitting anyone in the first place. Please remember that not everyone gets drunk at bars, pubs, and clubs, so breathalyzer stands won't work for a large potion or drivers.

like i said, Far stiffer punishments for the guilty....Life is not a video game... There is no magic solution to protect everyone from every single idiot, murderer, rapist, drunk driver out there...gotta do your own end, and sometimes hope for the best..... Mass punishment is not the answer
Fire MG

#21 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

the whole process of going out of your way to install the system, pay for it, and use it is a major inconvinience....Basically millions of people who have never in their lives driven drunk are being forced to pay for a breathalyzer system, make time in their lives to actually install it (have you ever waited hours in a mechanic shop waiting for your car???) and actually use it before they drive...And if you dont do that, you will get ticketed for it.. i just dont see why millions of innocent people should be subject to this sort of harrasment when they have not done anything wrong...Are all the photo radars and speed traps not enough? now they are making excuses to ticket people for doing absolutely nothing wrong.-Waits for someone to use the "oh please think of the children" line...

You're also required to have working brakes in your car.

What an outrage!

#22 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

like i said, Far stiffer punishments for the guilty....Life is not a video game... There is no magic solution to protect everyone from every single idiot, murderer, rapist, drunk driver out there...gotta do your own end, and sometimes hope for the best..... Mass punishment is not the answer

Guess what? Solution: Breathalyzers in every car.

The difference between me and you is that I'm willing to take the hit in my wallet, or on my schedule, if it keeps drunk drivers off the road. People need to work together to solve problems, not just "do your own end, and sometimes hope for the best".

Posted Image

#23 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Do we wait till after the fact that someone has been run over and nail the culprit for it, or would we rather prevent it in the first place?

Endanger your own life all you want, but putting others at risk is something you have no right to do!

#24 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

A bit confused as the articles don't mention that said breathalyzer would prevent your car from starting. Sounds like a lame duck to me.

The government is hoping to reduce the number of deaths related to drunk driving by encouraging drivers to test themselves if they think they’ve had too much to drink.

The tougher laws on drunk driving have caused people to go through a guessing game. Some people err on the side of caution, why not avoid having a beer or two before driving home, better to play it safe, what if you go over the limit and don't realize it. Others are willing to play with fire, why not have a few, if you're feeling okay then just drive home, no big deal. Of course, then there are the true drunk drivers who really don't care at all.

I think the France's new position, as defined in the quotebox above, will encourage the play it safer's to turn away from their cautious behaviour, why not have a beer or two, you can test yourself after to make sure, everything is safe. The ones who play with fire will likely still go by how they feel, and the true drunk drivers won't care either way.

I think the guessing game makes most people more cautious about how much they drink and the ones who don't respond to the guessing game aren't going to test themselves. This isn't going to change anything. For those who like this idea, do you already have a breathalyzer in your car?

Edit: Side note, I bet most people who do drive drunk would prefer a $14 I don't have a tester fine than to have a tester and have it cost them their license. Just saying.

Edited by LostViking, 02 July 2012 - 09:12 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,651 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

If you aren't drinking and driving, this really isn't an inconvenience at all.

As long as the thing doesn't look ugly in the car, I'd be for it.

The commercials and DD campaigns clearly aren't effective enough.

#26 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,710 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

If you aren't drinking and driving, this really isn't an inconvenience at all.

As long as the thing doesn't look ugly in the car, I'd be for it.

The commercials and DD campaigns clearly aren't effective enough.

It will be once it breaks on me and I have to repair it, lest I go without an auto.

#27 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

Cant they just get someone else to blow in it for them ?

Posted Image

#28 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,754 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Cant they just get someone else to blow in it for them ?

If a sober person is blowing into it for them, they should either be:
1) Driving them home
2) Convincing them to not drive

Posted Image

#29 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

If a sober person is blowing into it for them, they should either be:
1) Driving them home
2) Convincing them to not drive

It sounds dumb but I know for a fact that it does happen. There are stupid people are there.

Posted Image

#30 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,991 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Stupid idea. How are they gonna work this out for rental cars?

I could understand having a high visibility vest if your car breaks down (which is mandatory in most European countries) but this is useless, its gonna help as much as speed cameras and traffic cameras help by doing nothing.

Edited by Armada, 03 July 2012 - 01:22 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.