The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

France: Mandatory breathalyzer test in ALL vehicles

key2thecup

Breathalyzer tests compulsory on all vehicles in France

PARIS—All vehicles travelling on French roads must carry a chemical or electronic breathalyzer test from Sunday, under new rules aimed at reducing alcohol-driven accidents.

“Alcohol has been the main cause of mortality on roads since 2006,” according to road security authorities.

About a third of fatalities on French roads is due to drink driving, a rate that far surpasses the 17 percent recorded in Britain or 10 percent in Germany.

According to a survey published Sunday, just over half of respondents — 57 percent — said they have yet to equip their vehicles with breathalyzer tests.

Those who fail to do so risk a fine of 11 euros ($14) from November 1, 2012, when the penalty comes into force.

Drivers are split over the measure.

“I find it absurd to be booked for that. But it’s the law, so I’ll be subject to it,” said Hamou Louachiche, 38, who still does not have a test in his car.

He believes that such tests would be more useful in bars or nightclubs.

Others however welcome the measure, saying it would reduce drink driving.

http://newsinfo.inqu...icles-in-france

your family friend dying is a tragedy... However it should not be used as an excuse to punish/harrass millions of innocent people with....Tougher sentences on drunk drivers, automatic lifetim driving bans... anything as long as it punishes the guilty.. i will never accept uniform laws that punishes millions of innocent people for the sins of a few...

your family friend dying is a tragedy... However it should not be used as an excuse to punish/harrass millions of innocent people with....Tougher sentences on drunk drivers, automatic lifetim driving bans... anything as long as it punishes the guilty.. i will never accept uniform laws that punishes millions of innocent people for the sins of a few...

Oh no!  The extra 2 seconds it will take for drivers to blow into a breathalyzer is so atrocious!

Who cares that it will save lives, the drivers time is more precious than that!

I guess while we are at it we should take out airport security, because after all, I'm not wearing a bomb, why should I be subject to a search?

Personally, I would like the french law a lot better if it was slightly tweaked:

All new cars should be forced to have one come pre-installed, but old cars would not be required to have them, unless the primary driver of said older car has been previously convicted of a DUI.

Would that please those that are against this law?

Personally, I would like the french law a lot better if it was slightly tweaked:

All new cars should be forced to have one come pre-installed, but old cars would not be required to have them, unless the primary driver of said older car has been previously convicted of a DUI.

Complain about it being one way

Say its impossible the other way

Please, come up with a better way to stop drunk drivers from ever hitting anyone in the first place. Please remember that not everyone gets drunk at bars, pubs, and clubs, so breathalyzer stands won't work for a large potion or drivers.

Archived